Small knife lanyards/fobs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Monty

Small knife lanyards/fobs

Post by Monty »

I want to try out the lanyard game on my dragonflies and ladybugs. Most lanyards appear to be for pulling the knife from the pocket, a wrist loop, or bling factor.

For those who use a lanyard on small Spydies for extra purchase when gripping the knife what knots and cord diameter do you use. Has anyone tried a bead close to the handle for the same purpose?

ETA: Title change to add Fobs, as I've since learned that's probably the correct term for what I'm referring to.
Last edited by Monty on Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LC Kid

Re: Small knife lanyards

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Monty!

The Go-To cord material for knife lanyards would be the good old Paracord, usually the average 550 Type III Nylon, with 4 mm diameter and 7 inner strands. You could easily say that 99% of all lanyards either are or will be made with this one. :rolleyes:

That said, for a LBK like a D'Fly or a LadyBug I like way better to use 425 Paracord Type II Nylon, with 3 mm diameter and 3 inner strands, being just a little sleek appeals better for such small knives while still giving you good enough purchase and very high tensile strength.

Regarding Knots, my all time most used ones are the Knife Lanyard knot and the Matthew Walker knot, both are great secure handsome and fun knots to tie. :D

And I'm not particularly a beads fan, but when I use them the key word is LightWeight, there's nothing more annoying that a heavy bead on a lanyard. Actually, would suggest to take a look at Atwood's Mini Five Flutes, really well made awesome little beads. :cool:
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Monty wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:35 am
I want to try out the lanyard game on my dragonflies and ladybugs. Most lanyards appear to be for pulling the knife from the pocket, a wrist loop, or bling factor.
That's the question: fob or lanyard ... Image
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

There are some great tutorials on youtube. I use 550 paracord type 3 on all my lanyards. On my Dragonflys I've used two styles of Lanyard fobs. Both with the 7 strand core strings of the paracord removed to make the cord flatter. This also makes it easier to make the style of lanyard that can be taken on and off via the loop vs the tied on style that needs to be cut off. The old style I used to use pictured here consisted of a loop, diamond knot, and then a series of snake knots followed by a final diamond knot. The two color snake knot was achieved by 'welding' in a colored piece of cord to the end of one of the black strands. I did the weld after the first diamond knot to maintain strength of the lanyard. If you did a single color fob there would be no need for a weld with this style.

The new style doesn't involve any welds and is stronger. I take a single piece of paracord with the 7 strand core removed and fold it in half. The folded in half length measures about the length from my fingertips to my elbow. I put the folded end through the lanyard hole of the knife I'm working on so I can guage where I want to start the first diamond knot. I then make the first diamond knot. After that I pick a different colored piece of paracord the same length as the first, and I begin a four strand box or square knot. I then finish with a 4 strand diamond knot (different than the first 2 strand diamond knot).

For my Lady/Manbugs I leave the 7 strand core intact and used the tied on style. These fobs don't come off without being cut off. They are very easy to make though. Measure out a single 1-2 foot strand of paracord (some people like a little extra cord to work with). Put one end of the cord through the lanyard hole and pull the paracord through until you reach the midpoint of your strand of paracord. Then make a few snake knots and finish with a diamond knot. Melt the ends or just cut them off. Easy. This will give your Manbug/Ladybug a four finger grip.
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Monty

Post by Monty »

Peter1960 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:36 pm
Monty wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:35 am
That's the question: fob or lanyard ... Image
I wasn't familiar with the term and I think "fob" might be exactly what I'm describing.

Forum user Jazz posted this photo last year (I had bookmarked it as similar to what I want) and now that I look at the post again, he calls it a fob!

bagsnatcher

Re: Small knife lanyards/fobs

Post by bagsnatcher »

Aesthetics & function, in about even parts.

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I only put them on wee knives to lengthen the handle, and make them easier to one hand open. At this length, I’d say they’re fobs.
I just use regular paracord. Too thin doesn’t feel right. Colors? Whatever. Also, usually mine are just hangman’s knots. Permanently attached, unless cut off.

- best wishes, Jazz.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Done
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

The squarehead needs something to hold onto.

Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Snake knot w/ Diamond knot
Attachments
ED1EB694-8ADE-4175-972D-246F611C7AE4.jpeg
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
grubetown

Post by grubetown »

bagsnatcher wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:21 pm

What model is the bottom knife and sheath. It looks great!
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I just use a wooden bead and gutted paracord. I got a whole bunch of different size beads for a couple of bucks at a craft shop.

Reamed out the bead with a SAK Pioneer punch, to take the double strand of paracord, and tied it off so the bead acts as a kind of stop for your pinky.

It took a couple of goes to get the bead at the exact length for a comfortable hold once the knot was tightened.

It’s not pretty, but it works fine. I guess a nicely figured bead of better timber might be a nice upgrade if I ever see any.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

That looks good, cambertree.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Jazz wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:39 pm
That looks good, cambertree.
Thanks Jazz. :)

I need to work on my knotting and braiding skills. :rolleyes:
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It's not really a small knife but here's one I just did for my Kapara :D

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Looks great, Matt.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't wanna spoil your thread but it would be a shame to not mention this one. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15815
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

grubetown wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:23 pm
bagsnatcher wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:21 pm

What model is the bottom knife and sheath. It looks great!
That's a Bradford 3, in Vanadis 4E, Nimbus finish, black oxide hardware, natural Micarta handles, Armatus kydex sheath.

It's a sheepsfoot, here's another picture of it (absolutely fantastic knife):

Monty

Post by Monty »

I learned the crown and diamond knot and the Walker knot last night, also RIT dyed one of the Salt dragonflies. Going to try out some of these fobs this weekend.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:01 am
Looks great, Matt.
Thanks! :D