POLL: Who´d like the Native-family to become the general "comes in both comp.lock and backlock version" - line?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Native family: Should EACH main model be available both in a comp.lock and a backlock - version?

Yes, I´d like to see each Native-family-member (Lil Native, Native 5, Shaman, Chief) coming in a comp.lock AND a backlock version
35%
No, keep it like it is (Just Lil Native in both variants, Native 5 and Chief only backlock, Shaman comp.lock)
20%
No, I´d like to see each model JUST in a backlock-version
31%
No, I´d like to see each model JUST in a comp.lock-version
8%
Other (speciify in a post, if you like)
6%

Total votes: 65

Wartstein

POLL: Who´d like the Native-family to become the general "comes in both comp.lock and backlock version" - line?

Post by Wartstein »

[Edit: After reading some comments, let me say: This idea is about having one single very popular, covering-all-sizes line of Spydies, where everyone can most certainly get a knife with a lock they are at least OK WITH, not necessarely with their absolute FAVORITE lock.
I figure there are people who love the backlock, but don´t like the comp.lock and vice versa, but people who really don´t like BOTH seem to be very rare...]

The Native family (Lil Native, Native 5, Chief and lets include the Shaman also here (which is in some ways MORE a Native 5 XL than the Chief, in some ways (lock, handle contouring...) not so much) seems to be a very popular line.

Also very popular, quite surely the two most popular Spyderco locktypes, are backlock and comp.lock

Spyderco has already started to use the two different lock types in this lineup: Lil Native both in backlock and comp.lock, Shaman only comp.lock, Native 5 and Chief backlock.

So why not make this the line which generally offers each "family member" (and not just the Lil Native) in BOTH locktypes? (Edit: and so end the comp.lock vs backlock discussion at least for that line? :) )

I think there could very well be a market for that...

What do you think?

Two remarks:

- I know a comp.lock Native 5 would heavily compete with the Sage 5 and also the Para 3
- I sure hope this does not turn into another backlock vs comp.lock discussion: N O T my goal with this thread... ;)
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
attila

Re: POLL: Who´d like the Native-family to become the general "coming in both comp.lock and backlock version" - line?

Post by attila »

What I really want is a 3" and a 2.5" CBBL knife.

If my Native were a compression lock or CBBL, it could become my favorite knife.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Wartstein

Re: POLL: Who´d like the Native-family to become the general "coming in both comp.lock and backlock version" - line?

Post by Wartstein »

attila wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:37 am
What I really want is a 3" and a 2.5" CBBL knife.

If my Native were a compression lock or CBBL, it could become my favorite knife.
Thanks for the reply... in that case vote "other"... :D
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think Golden backlocks are amazing and have very little interest in seeing any of them changed to comp locks. I like comp locks too but if I want a comp lock I’ll just grab a Para2.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I think you'd have better luck just asking for a backlock Shaman. ;)
-Nick :bug-red
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Backlock only for me!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:49 am
I think you'd have better luck just asking for a backlock Shaman. ;)

:D :D

But, honestly: I really think it would be cool if ONE "family" (and a popular one) would GENERALLY come in both the most favorite lock types!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think I lean more towards back locks on smaller knives. On my Ouroboros I've caught myself reaching my thumb back for a back lock several times, I think because it reminds me of a Dragonfly. Another thing is if the knife already has a 50/50 choil it does work really well with a back lock, whereas the Shaman for example hits your finder while closing.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'm hoping for more golden backlocks, and have little interest in more comp locks honestly. I like the comp lock on the PM2 well enough, but I'd actually like a slimmer backlock version, like they did with the Manix2 Backlock, but with thinner stock rather than thicker.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

So far, it looks like I am the only one who wants to keep it the way it is. Adding different locks to existing models adds, R&D, time, and money to the process. I'd much rather see these resources going towards CQI of current models, sprint/exclusives, and developing new models or collaborations all together. It's not that I don't think a back lock Shaman wouldn't be popular (at least on the forums), but Spyderco has a finite set of resources. I would like for them to be always thinking bigger picture as opposed to re-releasing current favorites.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I would buy a comp-lock Native (g10 or FRN) instantly, without hesitation. Not as keen on a comp-lock Chief, though I don't really know why..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:25 am
So far, it looks like I am the only one who wants to keep it the way it is. Adding different locks to existing models adds, R&D, time, and money to the process. I'd much rather see these resources going towards CQI of current models, sprint/exclusives, and developing new models or collaborations all together. It's not that I don't think a back lock Shaman wouldn't be popular (at least on the forums), but Spyderco has a finite set of resources. I would like for them to be always thinking bigger picture as opposed to re-releasing current favorites.
I agree with everything you said here. ;) (Especially the highlighted part!)
-Nick :bug-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’m content to keep things as they are.

I don’t mean to say that members should cease advocating, as here, for what they want from Spyderco. Spyderco listens. Besides, who am I to censor anyone?

But I will say that there is enjoyment in wondering what prompted Sal or Eric in their design-decisions. Sal, in fact, has invited us on several occasions to divine his intent. I’ve learned a lot about knives—and, wow, do I have much to learn—just thinking about why the Glessers zigged where I would have wanted them to zag.

While others just want the knife they want, I’m here as a pupil in a master class.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Backlock only for me ever since my Para 3 LW partially opened in my pocket a few times. Turned me off on comp locks.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:01 am
I’m content to keep things as they are.

I don’t mean to say that members should cease advocating, as here, for what they want from Spyderco. Spyderco listens. Besides, who am I to censor anyone?

But I will say that there is enjoyment in wondering what prompted Sal or Eric in their design-decisions. Sal, in fact, has invited us on several occasions to divine his intent. I’ve learned a lot about knives—and, wow, do I have much to learn—just thinking about why the Glessers zigged where I would have wanted them to zag.

While others just want the knife they want, I’m here as a pupil in a master class.

I hear you.

But my thought process was something like this:

There is already a line dedicated to display all different handle materials (Chaparral)
There is already a line decicated to display all different lock types (Sage)

Now why not also ONE dedictaed, and (almost necessarely) very popular line that covers all size ranges and is available in the two vastly most popular lock types, and even more so, the two lock types of which people very often want to see specifically the one or the other on a knife (if it is available in only one type)

Spyderco STARTED already to do the Native line in these two lock types, so why not complete this thing?

Just my 2 cents of course.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

As cutting instruments, all Chaps perform the same and all Sages perform the same.

Not all Natives perform the same, and so it could be argued that different locks are appropriate, but if so, why not a CBBL, RIL, and liner lock, as well?
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I like it the way it is now. I like that the Native 5 is only a back lock the way it's always been. I do like the Lil' Native compression lock. So I wouldn't be opposed to a compression lock Native 5. I probably wouldn't buy one since I already have so many Native 5s.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:23 am
As cutting instruments, all Chaps perform the same and all Sages perform the same.

Not all Natives perform the same, and so it could be argued that different locks are appropriate, but if so, why not a CBBL, RIL, and liner lock, as well?

Good points, can´t argue that!

But let me explain my idea once more and hopefully better this time ;) :

I think offering a very popular, covering-all-sizes line of Spydies generally in comp.lock AND backlock versions, would not necessarely assure that everybody gets a knife with the lock he or she likes THE MOST, but almost certain with a lock he or she at least IS OK WITH.

Just judging from what I read on this forum (which does not represent the average knife buyer of course... :o ) I´d say: There are people who love the backlock but don´t like the comp.lock and vice versa.
But: People that don´t like BOTH are very rare...
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:35 am
I think offering a very popular, covering-all-sizes line of Spydies generally in comp.lock AND backlock versions, would not necessarely assure that everybody gets a knife with the lock he or she likes THE MOST, but almost certain with a lock he or she at least IS OK WITH.
I think a more telling poll would be would you rather have a Native Chief in a comp lock or a sprint steel. I'm guessing a new steel would win out over a new lock.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:40 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:35 am
I think a more telling poll would be would you rather have a Native Chief in a comp lock or a sprint steel. I'm guessing a new steel would win out over a new lock.

Sure, could very well be and would be interesting too.. a better way to do this poll would maybe have been to ask, if people GENERALLY want one single "Spyderco family" (and not necessarely the Native family) reliably coming in the two most popular lock types.
I did choose the Native family, cause here Spyderco already has started to do so...