Spyderco Heavy Weights!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dazen

Spyderco Heavy Weights!

Post by Dazen »

Am I the only one who likes a bit of heft in my knives. There is all this talk about LW versions of certain knives but never asking for more weight. Take the PM2, I personally think it could use some OZ’s. Maybe by a thicker blade or liners, or a backspacer. The Shaman is great the way it is, but I think every small knife in Spyderco’s line up could use a HW version as well.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
vivi

Re: Spyderco Heavy Weights!

Post by vivi »

I like how heft feels in my hand, but not in my pocket. It can give a knife a more premium, quality feeling and that extra weight is nice when cutting certain materials. The inertia of the knife itself keeps the cut going, reducing fatigue.

For an EDC folder, 3-4.5oz is the sweet spot for me of being heavy enough to know its there but light enough it doesn't weigh me down. 5oz and up and I tend to not carry the knife as often as my others, especially in the summer when I'm often in running shorts.

Have you ever handled the C95 Manix or the Szabo Folder? Those are some very, very nice heavier Spydercos :) The K2 is another.
:unicorn
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

deleted
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I sometimes really like heft in folders when using them, and the Shaman is a great example for that (I think I could not resist buying a backlock Shaman for more than ten seconds, despite it is a lot heavier than I like in pocket...;) )

But in my day to day life I "heavily" tend to carry light folders (under 100 gram / 3.5 oz normally);

The thing is: Many changes that could make a folder heavier, do not only NOT offer an advantage over a lighter folder, but most times even bring disadvantages (more than just being heavy):

Thicker blade? - 3 mm ffg are more than strong enough, even the 2.5 of a Delica or the 2.0 of a Chap, so why thicker and less slicey?
Heavier handle material? - FRN does everything I need for me and is exceptionally strong and durable
Thicker / not sceletonized liners? Makes no sense to me...

Only thing that could make a folder heavier PLUS offer an advantage maybe: Wider blade (see Shaman, Manix XL..), and as a side effect: If the blade gets wider, it can also get thicker without getting a lot worse when it comes to slicing...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Dazen wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:39 pm
Am I the only one who likes a bit of heft in my knives. There is all this talk about LW versions of certain knives but never asking for more weight. Take the PM2, I personally think it could use some OZ’s. Maybe by a thicker blade or liners, or a backspacer. The Shaman is great the way it is, but I think every small knife in Spyderco’s line up could use a HW version as well.
No, you're not the only one. I'm fairly notorious for it around here. But it's not that I absolutely look for weight in knives. I like robust metal construction and weight obviously comes with that. The Shaman came heavier than I expected it to be and I could certainly put titanium scales on it without thinking twice. The pm2 is ok imo, and honestly if I ever own another one I WILL be putting flytanium scales on that one, as I've grown to dislike the lack of chamfering on the OEM G10 scales. I was disappointed in the lack of brawn in the Native Chief as well. But I carry knives in my front right pocket, in either jeans, work pants or khakis. I'm not clipping my knives to the waistband of some soccer shorts and going for a jog. Almost every knife I've ever owned disappears in my pocket, including the 10oz Cold Steel 4max. I can't even tell it's there, regardless of weight. This is why I feel the way I do and see very little drawbacks to making a folding knife extra durable.

One knife that I don't feel the need to make heavier is my Pacific salt, despite strongly disliking FRN. The pac Salt is my rope cutter, and doesn't need heavy duty construction. It also has tough steel that can survive mishaps in imperfect working environments. To be honest, it almost makes me want a salt model that floats.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Some heft to a knife is why I love some of the older models like the Persian, Kris, and the Sage 4.
But there are newer knives which give me the same hefty feel; the Vallotton, Mamba, and LionSpy to name a few :)

I like the idea of LW's and do own quite a lot of them myself, but I wish there were some more chunky models in the line-up.
Give me some liners, micarta or natural materials, bolsters and a thick bladestock on a knife that's above 3 inches in blade length = happy me :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
DerRock

Post by DerRock »

I have a Spyderco Tuff - a very strong and heavy knife, comparable in reliability from Benchmade Adamas and Mick Strider knives. I recommend it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Only if it equates to some kind of advantage. For example a Strider SMF is a bit over 6oz but it's also stupid strong. I can't simply like or prefer more weight unless it comes with benefits, and the only two that come to mind are bigger size and/or more strength. Even then you start approaching a situation where the knife doesn't perform well as a cutting tool anymore if the blade is too thick so if it won't slice well I have to expect to be able to beat it without mercy beyond what I would do with a Military or Manix 2.

So, if Spyderco wants to make more knives like the Tatanka, I would certainly entertain the idea. I didn't really care for the design of that one but if they decide to make a Chinook XL or a Manix back lock XXL with a 5 inch blade and a beefed up Power Lock and full liners and a 3/8 inch pivot and all the other supporting goodies that would make a batton-proof folder, I would be ok with the weight that comes along with that. But, if we're talking about making small/medium size knives heavier without any other advantage then I'll pass.
Last edited by Evil D on Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I prefer a bit of heft. I LOVE the weight that titanium handles give, infact I've been flirting with the idea of getting a Slysz Bowie(again) and modifying the handle to fit my hand better. I just have to find one that is cheap enough, not the easiest task.

The only two that I have felt were a bit too heavy for me to carry regularly were the Autonomy 2 and Vallotton Sub-Hilt D/A.
I still liked them, but they were a bit on the chunky side.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
vivi

Post by vivi »

I like that the Manix XXL idea is catching on....:D
:unicorn
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

Manix XXL? Count me in! I actually like the Tatanka, but a Manix in that size would be amazing.
boing

Post by boing »

Dazen wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:39 pm
Maybe by a thicker blade or liners, or a backspacer.

I only want the weight in the handle. Blade-heavy knives feel like they’re trying to teeter-totter out of my hand when I’m opening, closing, or changing grips. They’re not really going to fall out (usually!), and actual cutting is fine with them, but it’s an awkward feeling that takes more attention to handle securely. Handle-heavy knives just nest naturally into my fingers.

Weight in the pocket has never bothered me for some reason.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Done
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Thick, heavy blades are awesome. Unless you actually need to cut something. They’re not so good at that.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think the Manix 2 back lock was about perfect for blade thickness and overall weight.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I too tend to like a knife that has a bit of bulk to it. Two of the Spyders I dearly miss are the Chinook III, and the original C-44 Dyad models. I still get out my old C-46 Lum Tanto folder on occasion and still get compliments on it when showing it to friends. I think that was truly one of the main appealing features of the original Buck model 110. Sure it was a bit heavy compared to a lot of the more modern models but it was a "rock" of a knife that would withstand a lot of punishment.

I wouldn't at all mind if Spyderco were to bring back some of their older Micarta models too.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I still dream of the ultimate mariner's knife. 2 four inch blades; one drop point PE and one SE sheepsfoot, and a 4 inch marlin spike on the back. Full titanium construction and beefy pivots. Hmm...
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:07 am
I still dream of the ultimate mariner's knife. 2 four inch blades; one drop point PE and one SE sheepsfoot, and a 4 inch marlin spike on the back. Full titanium construction and beefy pivots. Hmm...
Or alternately, have one 4" blade, with the first 1.5" or so plain edge, and the rest serrated. LC200N.

I guess this would simply be a modified Tusk.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I love my Tatanka, original Manix, Shaman, Manix2 XL, and Superleaf, each hefty to a satisfying degree in my hands.

EDIT: Meant to say I was all primed to get the Tuff but I couldn’t see the dimples, added at the last minute, as anything but a kludge, so I backed off.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:50 pm

I like how heft feels in my hand, but not in my pocket. It can give a knife a more premium, quality feeling and that extra weight is nice when cutting certain materials. The inertia of the knife itself keeps the cut going, reducing fatigue.

Yep, my thoughts as well. I enjoy using heavier knives, but I prefer to carry the LW FRN models. My collection these days consists of almost all LW FRN models. If I need something beefier I can always grab a fixed blade if I am home, so a beefy folder rarely gets carried unless I am know I am going to be doing harder tasks away from my house.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red