Tip down Chinook

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
5-by-5

Tip down Chinook

Post by 5-by-5 »

It hurts my brain trying to understand the horror of tip up only. At least with 4 way tip down is available.
The Chinook has always been tip down. The last education video proves tip down for anything over 3".

I really need a tip down power lock please
vivi

Re: Tip down Chinook

Post by vivi »

5-by-5 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:39 am
It hurts my brain trying to understand the horror of tip up only. At least with 4 way tip down is available.
The Chinook has always been tip down. The last education video proves tip down for anything over 3".

I really need a tip down power lock please
I think a lot of people make this mistake with tip up folders:

https://streamable.com/ppxuu

The draw is different than tip down, but not necessarily slower IMO.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I think Vivi is right! I always draw knives like shown in his vid, and that way with my L to XL hands tip up works better even with the Endura... but then, the Endura does NOT have a deep carry clip. Like I always said and imho THAT is one of the main things the new education vid shows: At least on larger knife deep carry is rather "silly" (not meant offensive), unless you have to conceil the knife.

For example: One of the Kapara drawbacks: Long knife, deep carry... Shorter than an Endura when closed, but due to the deep carry clip it feels LONGER in pocket, is less accessible and in a worse position for opening when drawn...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I don't care about the faster slower debate. I'm a first responder over 30 years. I don't care about ignorant tip up opinions. As a first responder I will never acknowledge any tip up arguments. Period.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I am seriously offended with the tip up only Chinook!
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I am carrying the power lock Tatanka today
vivi

Post by vivi »

5-by-5 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:12 pm
I don't care about the faster slower debate. I'm a first responder over 30 years. I don't care about ignorant tip up opinions. As a first responder I will never acknowledge any tip up arguments. Period.
What an eloquent, well reasoned response :p
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I only acknowledge four way clip because it includes tip down only.
The Chinook 4 is tip up only. An affront to the clip-it legacy!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Such a good looking knife. Maybe I'll treat myself to one this year. Ticks a lot of boxes for me.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Whoops :o
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

What a silly thread.

The blade on that Chinook is sick.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Was it an arbitrary decision? I'm staring at the pic, it has a full liner. Just why did it come out as tip up only?
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

5-by-5 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:59 am
Was it an arbitrary decision? I'm staring at the pic, it has a full liner. Just why did it come out as tip up only?

Spyderco generally goes with the designer wants. Maybe he wanted tip-up only?
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

I wish the Chinook 4 had tip down. It's my only complaint. I still bought two of them.

I'd love to see one with a Military-style curved clip in tip down. That's my favorite clip.

If there is a Chinook 5 in ten years, I vote for tip down, and made in Golden....
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

5-by-5 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:12 pm
This is the first time I'm hearing this but sounds like what you're saying is first responders don't know crap about knives and are really stubborn. Are you sure this is true of all first responders?

One time I was the first person on the scene of a car accident and I had a tip up knife on me. I wasn't able to deploy the knife, obviously, and then the car exploded in slow motion. It was in all the papers.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

See tip down would have saved that car!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

5-by-5 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:59 am

I'm gonna take a wild shot in the dark guess and say it has to do with the clip and lanyard hole decision. While they could have put the lanyard hole somewhere other than in the middle of the clip, for whatever reason that's how they chose to do it which means the clip won't easily swap over to the pivot end, since the pivot screw isn't centered on the handle in a place where the same clip would fit the rest of the handle.

Another way to word that is that the pivot placement just doesn't work well with a clip mounted next to it. They would have had to use one of the older clip styles that have the 3 screws in more of a straight line with each other as opposed to the triangular holed clips they use today, and even then the clip would probably cover part of the pivot screw and look stupid.

The good news is you can easily drill and tap the liners and put a clip anywhere you please.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:51 pm

Such a good looking knife. Maybe I'll treat myself to one this year. Ticks a lot of boxes for me.

I'm really not a fan of this much belly but I have recently been looking at this knife over and over. I think the older Chinooks were better looking knives but I'd like to try out this lock and since I'm not going to buy a Tatanka, this is my only option at the moment.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Yeah we need more power lock models. Enough with the compression lock
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

Buy a Chinook 4 and take it to a reputable gunsmith or machinist. It should be an each fix to make it tip-down. Tip-down is my preferred orientation―of course I have been carrying a Spyderco everyday since 1984. :D

brian