Looking at a Caly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sok

Re: Looking at a Caly

Post by sok »

I recommend the carbon fiber handle and VG10 steel. I have two of them. One of them is in the middle of a much needed reprofiling.
Last edited by sok on Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Just a couple pics I had around because this thread needs caly pics....

sok

Post by sok »

PanChango wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:35 pm
Just a couple pics I had around because this thread needs caly pics....
Sorry PanChango, I edited my post above yours with pics before I saw yours. Nice knives!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:22 pm
I've had a Caly 3 for about 10 years. My only complaint is that it doesn't take much sharpening to expose the tip out from the handle when closed. You can adjust the kick and kinda fix this but at some point the knife is unusable once the edge hits the inside of the handle from grinding the kick down too much. I guess then you can leave it open and use it in the garage or something as a utility knife. Beyond that I've always viewed the Calypso family as kind of Spyderco royalty, much of their ergonomics have been handed down to many generations of knives.
Having a hard time following you here, how does sharpening the blade expose the tip out the handle?
sok

Post by sok »

delete
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:16 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:22 pm
I've had a Caly 3 for about 10 years. My only complaint is that it doesn't take much sharpening to expose the tip out from the handle when closed. You can adjust the kick and kinda fix this but at some point the knife is unusable once the edge hits the inside of the handle from grinding the kick down too much. I guess then you can leave it open and use it in the garage or something as a utility knife. Beyond that I've always viewed the Calypso family as kind of Spyderco royalty, much of their ergonomics have been handed down to many generations of knives.
Having a hard time following you here, how does sharpening the blade expose the tip out the handle?
Same here. Also, excuse my ignorance, what's a kick and how are you adjusting it?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:16 pm

Mako109 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:32 pm

Same here. Also, excuse my ignorance, what's a kick and how are you adjusting it?

The blade doesn't nest into the handle very far when closed even when new. As you sharpen the blade the point raises and eventually it becomes exposed.

The kick is the part of the tang/ricasso that hits the underside of the lock bar when closed and stops the blade. You can grind it down a little which lets the blade close further into the handle, but eventually this also allows the edge to make contact with the underside of the back spacer.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:16 pm
Mako109 wrote:

The blade doesn't nest into the handle very far when closed even when new. As you sharpen the blade the point raises and eventually it becomes exposed.

The kick is the part of the tang/ricasso that hits the underside of the lock bar when closed and stops the blade. You can grind it down a little which lets the blade close further into the handle, but eventually this also allows the edge to make contact with the underside of the back spacer.
Ahhh...thanks much for the explanation David.

I hate it when tips are dangerously exposed or nearly so when closed. Looks like perhaps you got a defective piece to begin with as the tips of all four of mine rest well within the handle.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Love the Caly's, the 3.5 has been my main carry for the past 3 or 4 years. I have several of the variants but the cf/zdp 3.5 gets the most carry time. The cf is easy on the pockets, the clad scratches pretty easily and the knife will rust quicker than the vg10 but it always ends up in my pocket. The 3.5 is a lot of cutting power in a compact, easy to carry design. You can't go wrong with any of the Caly's. The 3.5 is a sweet spot for me. A great design by Sal.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I have a Caly 3.5 in ZDP189 and it's a really fine knife.

For a long time it seemed like the most 'premium quality' Spyderco I had.

The materials, ergos, and fit and finish all seemed like the pinnacle of Spyderco's design at the time.

Mine had some wrinkles in the CF on one side, near the pocket clip screw. It had no relevance to function, but it was disappointing for the price I paid - the most I'd ever shelled out for a knife back then. I think there may have been some issues with Moki's consistency at that time.

I never really carried the knife as much as the Delicas I have, because I realised I don't like the feel of slab sided knives with sharp, right angled corners on the handle. I sanded the handle edges down and softened them with a slight radius.

It helped me refine my understanding of what I want in my 'perfect' folding knife.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mako109 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:51 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:16 pm
Mako109 wrote:

Ahhh...thanks much for the explanation David.

I hate it when tips are dangerously exposed or nearly so when closed. Looks like perhaps you got a defective piece to begin with as the tips of all four of mine rest well within the handle.

It could be something they've CQI'ed, and mine has seen a lot of sharpening to get this far. I still look at this kind of potential issue with any model I buy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
utor

Post by utor »

Lozoot

Post by Lozoot »

Have a Caly 3 in ZDP/CF on the way that I bought on the secondary market. Pretty pumped, have been looking out for one of these for a while!
Current Favourites: Kapara, Sage 5, Drunken, Chaparral G10/CF
Up Next: Fluted CF/S90V Native 5
Wish List: CF Lil Native
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

If it comes one day as a FRN lw I think I will buy one. Looks like a nice EDC blade (but it would be better with 4 inch blade).
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:36 am
Find myself looking at the Caly after gaining an better appreciation for thin blade stock, how do the owners of this knife feel and which steel do you recommend.

Oh and is the CF version slick CF like Knifecenter puts out?

Thanks.
The caly jr, caly 3, caly 3.5 and calypso are all 3mm thick at the spine. FFG Delicas, Centofante 3/4, and the Chap are better choices if you're specifically seeking thin geometry.
Last edited by vivi on Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pancake wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:27 am
If it comes one day as a FRN lw I think I will buy one. Looks like a nice EDC blade (but it would be better with 4 inch blade).
The Calypso is 4"
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:58 pm
The Calypso is 4"
Gimme one in FRN and I will be happy.
4 inch is really a sweet spot for me.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pancake wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:31 pm
Vivi wrote:
The Calypso is 4"
The calypso is one of Sal's best designs. I'm surprised its never caught on. I'd love an FRN/VG10 version built like the Endura.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:20 pm
Pancake wrote:
Vivi wrote:
The Calypso is 4"
The calypso is one of Sal's best designs. I'm surprised its never caught on. I'd love an FRN/VG10 version built like the Endura.
I want one in Superblue, so I can have a full set!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:20 pm
Pancake wrote:
Vivi wrote:
The Calypso is 4"

In fact that would look a lot like an evolved Endura / Endura 5... (though I personally hope the Endura will always remain a Ricasso-, not finger choil- knife)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)