S30v

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knivesandbooks

Re: S30v

Post by knivesandbooks »

On a more meta level, I just find it humorous as fans of other brands don't do this. Certain brands still primarily use 154cm and their fans don't mind. Other brands use mainly s35vn and nobody says a thing. M390/20cv and no complaints. CPM154, 1095, A2, D2, 01. These are all primary steels for companies that have happy consumers that don't complain or question it. Cold Steel switches from XHP to S35vn and their fans accept it without croaking. Not making fun of anyone or calling anyone out, I just find it funny how this small subsection of the knife community is so persnickety about steels and mainly on a theoretical level.

My opinion, s30v is fine. Never had an issue. Would prefer CPM 154 as the standard but that's whatever. I've got bigger issues with handle materials, soft detents, lack of chamfers, etc etc.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:54 am
Your writing “most people” has me thinking of a nice poll here on this forum.
Well, but we have to keep in mind that Spyderforum is a small community. Not every person that bought a Spyderco is going to make an account here and shere his/her opinion.
I just dont believe that pool here could represent what majority of Spyderco users think.

EDIT: Nothing
Last edited by Pancake on Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

Wouldn't say I love S30V but I really like it and don't mind at all that they use it frequently in their "base model" for knives. Almost always if I really like a model I will buy the classic S30V/black G10 variant to use hard. Not that I don't have a problem using a sprint run but not every occasion do I want to throw an expensive and rare knife into just in case it were to get lost or take major damage.

That being said because of this I've thrown S30V into a lot of different tasks and put it to some real use and really its never failed me. Sure my Maxamet knives hold a longer edge, and LC200N is more stainless and 52100 is tougher but never have I been using S30V and thought "wow what a junk steel why couldn't Spyderco have made this in X steel"

One thing that I think Spyderco should do on some models is just a few variations of handle scale colors as standard. I dont think it'd cost them much but maybe we would be more inclined to buy say an S30V Native Chief(just using this knife as an example) if it had a few basic but popular colour options like a red,blue or tan. Really all this would take is say out of the first 1000 make 100 red,100 blue,100 tan and the rest black instead of 1000 black. Not sure how viable of an option this is but it might help sales a little on the edition of a knife.

But yeah, I think the hate brought on to S30V is from youtubers who don't even use their knives and just complain in the video "oh at this price id really expect m390... look at this Chinese company doing it in the same price range" when really they've never used S30V enough to appreciate it and never used the cheap m390 chinese knife with a garbage HT to figure out the well done S30V actually performs better. Honestly if Spyderco took their baseline knives, stamped M390 on the tangs instead of S30V but it was actually S30V I think 98% of people would have a full on stiffy and be so happy even though its "just S30V".
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:01 pm
Cold Steel switches from XHP to S35vn and their fans accept it without croaking.
I was pretty bummed about this to be honest, and I'm not the only one. They did XHP well.
Genotoxic wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:06 pm
Honestly if Spyderco took their baseline knives, stamped M390 on the tangs instead of S30V but it was actually S30V I think 98% of people would have a full on stiffy and be so happy even though its "just S30V".
Haha, yep!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:48 am
S30V is simply a B— to a B+ in all categories, which makes for a good all around steel but doesn't "wow" people who are really into knives.

We buy knives for a purpose in mind, and we're usually looking for a blade steel that excels highly in 1-2 categories.

Best edge retention? Not s30v.
Best corrosion resistance? Not s30v.
Best sharpening response? Not s30v.
Best apex stability? Not s30v.
Best toughness? Not s30v.

We just have to keep in mind that knife afi's and steel junkies aren't what fuels the majority of Spyderco's profits. S30V is an excellent steel for the average person who wants a good quality knife.

Most of us don't dislike s30v even if we avoid most s30v models. And people opting out of base models and waiting on sprints is partially fueled by the pricing of certain models as well as designs begging for blade steels of particular attributes. Take the Native Chief for example. It is not an all around knife. It's more of a specialized lightweight lengthy slicer. So some of us don't see an "all around" blade steel as optimal for maximizing the usefulness of the model. S110V, k390, or Maxamet would probably be more appropriate. Then you have models like the Subvert, where the sheer price is what fuels complaints on s30v. But most of the time s30v is a fine choice. It's not a "sharpener's steel" like cruwear or 52100, and enjoyment in sharpening is a bigger issue for people here versus the average customer. The only s30v that I've found has an incredible sharpening response is on my buck vantage pro. You can tell the grain structure is fine. But with that said, I'm enjoying the s30v on my Shaman. I think there Shaman is a good EDC knife for me and an "all around" steel suits it fairly well.
+1 on most of this but I wonder about the S30V fueling most of their profit just guessing but I would hazard a guess he VG-10 models like the delica and Endura are what they sell the most of.

I laugh at myself these days as I gain a deeper appreciation for these cheaper knives that actually slice better than the more expensive ones. The Cruwear Delica really broke my brain.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Pancake wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:03 pm
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:54 am
Your writing “most people” has me thinking of a nice poll here on this forum.
Well, but we have to keep in mind that Spyderforum is a small community. Not every person that bought a Spyderco is going to make an account here and shere his/her opinion.
I just dont believe that pool here could represent what majority of Spyderco users think.

EDIT: Nothing
Very true but might still be fun for the people here. And anyone who is anybody talks Spyderco here even a nobody like me:)
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

If you are reading this forum, you've probably moved past a knife as simple appliance. And you don't actually need another knife.

Not getting rid of any knives I like because they are S30V. And most of my cutting is in the kitchen with VG10. It's fine. I use the super blue one's when I'm in the mood.

If I'm going to buy a new knife I don't need then it has to get my attention with exceptional design and/or materials.

I can tell the difference between the edge retention of S110V or Maxamet versus S30V. Doesn't matter in the absolute as it's easy enough to sharpen a knife. But it's cool.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I can't help but wonder what steels could be produced in the sizes and quantities that Spyderco needs. Not only are S30V and VG-10 "good enough" in many respects, but I am betting that Spyderco can save money through bulk sales of raw materials. The higher end steels that most people like around here weren't developed with cutlery in mind. So Spyderco would have to compete with other purchasers for these steels. Plus, Spyderco needs the steel to arrive in bar form at a certain thickness. If the forum demands Steel X and Steel X primarily comes in round stock, Spyderco would have to wait for the steel to be produced in a knife-friendly format. How long would that take? Can Spyderco afford to slow production while they wait? It's all a delicate balancing act, and none of us have all of the information. Spyderco is a big company when it comes to production knives. That's a good thing. They can afford to take risks with steels that are hard to sharpen and rust more easily. But their size can be a hindrance; performant steels aren't produced in such a way that Spyderco could use it as a base steel. I'm guessing that Spyderco just can't buy enough steel to get a foundry's attention.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:23 pm
Pelagic wrote:
S30V is simply a B— to a B+ in all categories, which makes for a good all around steel but doesn't "wow" people who are really into knives.

We buy knives for a purpose in mind, and we're usually looking for a blade steel that excels highly in 1-2 categories.

We just have to keep in mind that knife afi's and steel junkies aren't what fuels the majority of Spyderco's profits. S30V is an excellent steel for the average person who wants a good quality knife.

Most of us don't dislike s30v even if we avoid most s30v models. And people opting out of base models and waiting on sprints is partially fueled by the pricing of certain models as well as designs begging for blade steels of particular attributes. Take the Native Chief for example. It is not an all around knife. It's more of a specialized lightweight lengthy slicer. So some of us don't see an "all around" blade steel as optimal for maximizing the usefulness of the model. S110V, k390, or Maxamet would probably be more appropriate. Then you have models like the Subvert, where the sheer price is what fuels complaints on s30v. But most of the time s30v is a fine choice. It's not a "sharpener's steel" like cruwear or 52100, and enjoyment in sharpening is a bigger issue for people here versus the average customer. The only s30v that I've found has an incredible sharpening response is on my buck vantage pro. You can tell the grain structure is fine. But with that said, I'm enjoying the s30v on my Shaman. I think there Shaman is a good EDC knife for me and an "all around" steel suits it fairly well.
+1 on most of this but I wonder about the S30V fueling most of their profit just guessing but I would hazard a guess he VG-10 models like the delica and Endura are what they sell the most of.

I laugh at myself these days as I gain a deeper appreciation for these cheaper knives that actually slice better than the more expensive ones. The Cruwear Delica really broke my brain.
I didn't say s30v fueled most of their profit, just average knife guys that aren't steel junkies. Everyone on this forum knows 10 times more about steel than the average Spyderco customer. And with knowledge comes preferences.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

p_atrick wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:51 pm
I can't help but wonder what steels could be produced in the sizes and quantities that Spyderco needs. Not only are S30V and VG-10 "good enough" in many respects, but I am betting that Spyderco can save money through bulk sales of raw materials. The higher end steels that most people like around here weren't developed with cutlery in mind. So Spyderco would have to compete with other purchasers for these steels. Plus, Spyderco needs the steel to arrive in bar form at a certain thickness. If the forum demands Steel X and Steel X primarily comes in round stock, Spyderco would have to wait for the steel to be produced in a knife-friendly format. How long would that take? Can Spyderco afford to slow production while they wait? It's all a delicate balancing act, and none of us have all of the information. Spyderco is a big company when it comes to production knives. That's a good thing. They can afford to take risks with steels that are hard to sharpen and rust more easily. But their size can be a hindrance; performant steels aren't produced in such a way that Spyderco could use it as a base steel. I'm guessing that Spyderco just can't buy enough steel to get a foundry's attention.
Great points only @Sal knows the answer.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

As Spyderco fans we are truly spoiled. In most of the knife industry S30V and S35VN are still premium steels. Some would still call them super steels. It is hard to tell from inside the Spyderbubble but it’s true.

I am proud to be a steel geek and even more proud to not be a steel snob. S30V is considerably more wear resistant than N690, VG10, 154CM, 440C or the trendy aeb-l. As long as you aren’t trying to sell me some 440A I could be interested depending on the knife.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

S30V is a good allaround steel for the knife industry and Spyderco does a great job with their S30V quenching. I would say there are too many "prescients" on this forum. Enough said.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

spyderg wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:58 am
Pelagic wrote:
I agree that on some of the collaborations and higher priced knives that we have come expect a fancier steel and there’s just no wow factor in S30v.
This is the only time I've ever really questioned s30v as a choice. That, and when it just seems like a certain knife was designed with an application in mind that another steel might handle better (for example the edc/food prep Kapara seems like a great place for LC200N like the spydiechef). But s30v is easy for me to sharpen, generally meets all my edc needs, and I was really excited to see it on the teal dragonfly this year - I bought two! I'm enjoying toying with and sharpening other steels, and I generally seek out tougher steels for my outdoor blades, but s30v certainly won't keep me from a knife if I like everything else about it. If I'm waiting for a sprint on a knife, it's usually because I want something more interesting all-around than the usual combo of regular old black g10 scales plus s30v (or black frn scales plus vg-10).
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

440c would absolutely meet all my EDC needs, because "need" is a strong word. I just want better because it's available and I'm into knives and use them frequently.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
James Y

Post by James Y »

The typical person who buys a one-hand opening clip knife out there will likely grab a Smith & Wesson or MTech cheapie at the sporting goods store for $10-$15, with "surgical stainless" or 420J2 steel blades and not care.

S30V would have been a super steel 30 years ago, and WAS considered one about 15 to 17 years ago, when it was new. Has it gotten worse since then? Or has it gotten better with time and possible tinkering with HT, etc.? All I know is that I'm fine with it. And IMO it's not hard to resharpen. I'm a decent sharpener, not a sharpening "master," yet I've never had any problems resharpening (and in one case, reprofiling) S30V blades without diamond hones. I do like S35VN a bit better, but the reasons could be in my own mind. I sense that S35 is a little tougher and a little easier to restore the edge, but since I've never had problems with S30V, it's kind of moot.

Spyderco forumites and steel geeks are definitely not the majority of knife users, including Spyderco users. I'm sure that for some small percentage of actual users, the latest-greatest steels make a noticeable difference in use for them cutting-wise, but I'm also sure there's a lot of people who just want to have the different steel designation/letter combination stamped on the blade, as a type of status symbol.

If I had one wish with S30V, I wish it were as corrosion-resistant as, say, VG-10, or as corrosion-proof as LC200N. But it isn't, and I'm OK with that, too.

If S30V was once a "super" steel but isn't anymore, then none of the latest steels are super either, because in another 10 to 20 years, steel snobs will consider them "below average" or sub-par.

Jim
awa54

Post by awa54 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:39 pm
As Spyderco fans we are truly spoiled. In most of the knife industry S30V and S35VN are still premium steels. Some would still call them super steels. It is hard to tell from inside the Spyderbubble but it’s true.

I am proud to be a steel geek and even more proud to not be a steel snob. S30V is considerably more wear resistant than N690, VG10, 154CM, 440C or the trendy aeb-l. As long as you aren’t trying to sell me some 440A I could be interested depending on the knife.

I actually like the old Schrade+ stainless, IIRC it was 440A ...but yeah, I try not to be a total steel elitist, however the line gets drawn at sub-56HRC stainless, no mater what bottom-feeding alloy it might claim to be ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:23 pm
Pelagic wrote:

What's wrong with the cruwear delica?

The golden s30v models are what base BMW cars are to car geeks of a decade or two ago - certainly nicer than your average car, but lives in the shadow of the M cars

What's the best way to bring out the performance of s30v?
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:12 pm
What's the best way to bring out the performance of s30v?
For me, it's diamond plates and paste.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:01 pm
On a more meta level, I just find it humorous as fans of other brands don't do this. Certain brands still primarily use 154cm and their fans don't mind. Other brands use mainly s35vn and nobody says a thing. M390/20cv and no complaints. CPM154, 1095, A2, D2, 01. These are all primary steels for companies that have happy consumers that don't complain or question it. Cold Steel switches from XHP to S35vn and their fans accept it without croaking. Not making fun of anyone or calling anyone out, I just find it funny how this small subsection of the knife community is so persnickety about steels and mainly on a theoretical level.

My opinion, s30v is fine. Never had an issue. Would prefer CPM 154 as the standard but that's whatever. I've got bigger issues with handle materials, soft detents, lack of chamfers, etc etc.
WRONG. I'm just one guy so YMMV. There were many people that did not like the switch to S35VN from XHP at Cold Steel. There were many complaints. I did not complain, I bought 5 Cold Steel knives in XHP instead. I do have knives that I will buy in CPM-154/154CM, but it's rare. I'm not in the market for any knives that are not in the upper echelons of steel, but I may buy one. I have at least 100 more knives that are on my too buy list, but few are not of premium steels.

My collection summarized by steel/brand:
3V, 6 (Bark River Knives(2), Cold Steel(1), RMJ(2), Winkler Knives(1))
9Cr18, 4 (CRKT(4))
80CrV2, 4(Winkler Knives(4))
154CM, 4 (Emerson(3), Boker(1))
1055 Carbon Steel, 7 (Cold Steel(2 + 5))
1095 High Carbon Steel, 4 (ESEE(1), KA-BAR(1), Tops Knives(2))
420HC Stainless, 3 (Buck(2), Gerber(1))
440C, 2 (Boker(2))
52100 High Carbon Steel, 1 (Cold Steel(1))
A2, 1 (Bark River Knives(1))
AUS-8, 2 (5.11(1), SOG(1))
BDZ-1, 1 (Gerber(1))
CPM-20CV, 4 (Hinderer(1), Spyderco(3))
CPM-154, 1 (Spyderco(1))
CTS-XHP, 6 (Cold Steel(4), LES GEORGE(2))
D2, 1 (KA-BAR(1))
Elmax, 1 (Bark River Knives(1))
H1, 1 (Spyderco(1))
M390, 4 (Bradford Knives(2), Hinderer(1), SCHUTTE(1))
M4, 1 (Benchmade(1))
Maxamet, 1 (Spyderco(1))
N690CO, 1 (Bastinelli(1))
O1, 6 (Randall(5), CRKT(1))
S30V, 1 (Spyderco(1))
S35VN, 10 (Chris Reeve(1), Hinderer(1), KA-BAR(2), Medford(1), Spartan Blades(2), ZT Knives(3))
S90V, 2 (Zero Tolerance(2))
S110V, 1 (Spyderco(1))
VG10, 2 (Boker(2))
ZDP189, 1 (ZT Knives(1))

My instructions for purchases:
BUY knives HEAT TREATED 61HRC - 63HRC+ and made from the steels of: 1V** (will be below 60HRC), CPM 3V, CPM 4V, CPM 10V, CPM M4**(COATED), CPM Rex 45, CPM S90V, CPM S110V, CPM S125V(Ultimate CATRA), CTS-XHP, D2(Bob Dozier**. Is this CPM-D2?), K390, M390/20CV/204P**, Maxamet, S7**(57HRC for 125ft/lbs toughness), PM A11, Rex 121(Ultimate CATRA), Vanadis 4E, Vanax Superclean, Z-WEAR, ZDP189

ANKERSON SAYS THAT CURRENTLY IN MID 2019
Mid range steels [include], S35VN, S30V, CPM 154, ELMAX and M390/20CV/204P, etc.

Top end steels [include]: 10V, S90V, S110V, K390, etc.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:10 pm

ANKERSON SAYS THAT CURRENTLY IN MID 2019
Mid range steels [include], S35VN, S30V, CPM 154, ELMAX and M390/20CV/204P, etc.

Top end steels [include]: 10V, S90V, S110V, K390, etc.

To be clear.....

I talk about steels performance wise mostly based on edge retention.

There is nothing wrong with the mid range steels at all, they are all workhorses and very versatile all around steels.

I carry S35VN more than anything else as my EDC and S30V before that.