Idea: Lanyard Tube Removal Tool

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Idea: Lanyard Tube Removal Tool

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:09 pm
Hey Matt, I’ve never popped a lanyard tube but a purpose made punch like you and Pat describe, a piece of wood with a hole in it and hammer will do the trick every time. Perhaps if you had a few to do a simple press, maybe something like this (not to scale, crumby) sketch should work and maybe even be used to flare tubes as well with a conical Pin and ‘Anvil’ made to fit the hole in the Block.

It’d be an easy enough project for any of the closet engineers here with access to a small lathe and mill I’d reckon.

The Block could be machined from mild steel 50mm x 50mm x 25mm.

The Screw could be turned from say, a 12mm fine thread automotive bolt, drilled Ø3mm x 2 places to except the Pin and Ø3mm Rod.

The Pin could be brass and turned with square shoulders like Pat’s punch and three diameters, (a) To fit screw with clearance. (b) Smaller than the lanyard hole diameter in the G10 Scale. (c) Smaller than the bore diameter of the lanyard tube. :rolleyes:
Nice design Alex!
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I suppose in the grand scheme of things, it is possible to remove a lanyard tube, and reflare it if need be if you have the right tools. This was my first try at it, and I'm sure I'll get better with practice. Maybe there is also the factor of most people not taking apart their knives to consider..... Still I'm left with the feeling that there has to be a better way to hold a handle together than a flared tube you cant easily remove or put back. A purpose built tool is a good solution to the problem, but it would be better to eliminate the problem. I don't take my knives apart often, but when I do, I would like it to be a little less of an ordeal. (Maybe this post would be better in the taking knives apart thread :o )

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:29 pm
Nice design Alex!
Ah, hahaha, Thanks Matt! :o

I have a lathe but no mill, otherwise I’d happily make one with a conical Pin and Anvil too so you could flare new tubes as well and send it to you. :)
Last edited by Bloke on Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Bloke wrote:
Hey Matt, I’ve never popped a lanyard tube but a purpose made punch like you and Pat describe, a piece of wood with a hole in it and hammer will do the trick every time. Perhaps if you had a few to do a simple press, maybe something like this (not to scale, crumby) sketch should work and maybe even be used to flare tubes as well with a conical Pin and ‘Anvil’ made to fit the hole in the Block.

It’d be an easy enough project for any of the closet engineers here with access to a small lathe and mill I’d reckon.

The Screw could be turned from say, a 12mm fine thread automotive bolt, drilled Ø3mm x 2 places to except the Pin and Ø3mm Rod.

The Pin could be brass and turned with square shoulders like Pat’s punch and three diameters, (a) To fit screw with clearance. (b) Smaller than the lanyard hole diameter in the G10 Scale. (c) Smaller than the bore diameter of the lanyard tube. :rolleyes:
I've already figured I could reduce the length of the punch I drew and use it as a mandrel with my arbor press. Drill an oversized hole in a block of wood to rest the scale on and push the tube into. I've done things like this plenty of times back when I worked in manufacturing. I have no doubt it would work just fine. No need to over complicate it.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:56 pm
I've already figured I could reduce the length of the punch I drew and use it as a mandrel with my arbor press. Drill an oversized hole in a block of wood to rest the scale on and push the tube into. I've done things like this plenty of times back when I worked in manufacturing. I have no doubt it would work just fine. No need to over complicate it.
Certainly agree Pat. We were always make little jigs and simple little tools for all sorts of reasons when I worked in my trade.

If I was into changing out scales regularly I’d make something like what I sketched because it wouldn’t take long and I could use it to pop lanyard tubes in a controlled manner and flare new tubes as well. :)
jacala

Post by jacala »

What about using a Drill Press.
Put a 6 inch piece of s/steel tube(correct dia.) in the chuck and press out the lanyard tube.
Use a hollowed out piece of wood underneath.
The reverse could work also(to reinstall the lanyard tube)
PS , I don't think this has been suggested before ??? Excuse me if it has.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Bloke wrote:

^^This!^^^ It is exactly what I had pictured in my head when I suggested a beefed up link pin removal tools. Nice sketch! I would def buy one.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

jacala wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:01 am
Put a 6 inch piece of s/steel tube(correct dia.) in the chuck and press out the lanyard tube.
What I show in the drawing could be easily chucked in the drill press and used to press out the tube. The end of the tool fits inside the tube. So it's basically self centering.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:58 am
jacala wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:01 am
What I show in the drawing could be easily chucked in the drill press and used to press out the tube. The end of the tool fits inside the tube. So it's basically self centering.
That self centering part is important. I think thats part of the reason the wooden dowel and the metal bit I used marked the tube up so much. It was hard to keep it centered.

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:22 am
It is exactly what I had pictured in my head when I suggested a beefed up link pin removal tools. Nice sketch! I would def buy one.
Hi McGit, Pat’s simple punch would be all you really need to pop lanyard tubes. I think the main advantage of a simple little screw press similar to what I envision would allow for controlled flaring of new tube too. :)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Mare uses a wooden spoon handle. Works a treat... jams it in and twists
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:59 am
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:22 am
It is exactly what I had pictured in my head when I suggested a beefed up link pin removal tools. Nice sketch! I would def buy one.
Hi McGit, Pat’s simple punch would be all you really need to pop lanyard tubes. I think the main advantage of a simple little screw press similar to what I envision would allow for controlled flaring of new tube too. :)
I agree, but that’s why I think your design is so good, and I like it so much. It would allow for controlled removal of the tube, controlled reinstalling, and controlled flaring. All from that one tool. I can even imagine using it to flare tubes that were never flared and rattle(Advocate, Spydiechef, etc).

I’m always apprehensive about tapping them. I messed up a g10 military scale around the tube doing that. Probably operator error, but would be nice to lower that risk.
fanucman

Post by fanucman »

One of the punches in a transfer punch set could be the right size but I haven’t checked.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

A set of dies designed to be used in a single stage or turret press would be perfect. The Lee universal expanding die would work to reflare a lanyard tube quite well.
Crux

Post by Crux »

What I do is to use a rounded and tapered metal dowel slightly larger than the tube inner diameter and then tap that gently (somewhat) on whatever side of the tube I want to separate from the handle. What this does is retract the outer bevel of the tube just enough to allow the handle to be separated from the tube with some effort. The key is that the tube is still in good enough shape to lock back in after you are done. If not then use a metal dowel the size of the bevel to tap it down.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’ve pulled wheel bearings just using a simple nut and bolt, and a selection of (and occasionally trimmed down) washers. I would try a machine screw and wingnut version for a lanyard tube.

I’m lucky enough to have a nut and bolt shop nearby with an incredible amount of stock for the construction, automotive and restoration trades.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Someone showed me a youtube video of RCbladeworks using a screwdriver to remove the tube. He inserted the shaft of screwdriver into the lanyard tube and used the leverage to wiggle both sides of the tube free. Seemed to work pretty well. Don't know how much it would mark the tube up. You could always wrap it in painters tape.

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

jacala

Post by jacala »

Just bought one.
I'm not into changing my Spydies much, but.....
Better to have the right tools just in case !
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Mine arrived the other day. I'll be prepared next time I take apart a para.