Red G10 Para 3 M390

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
husq2100

Re: Red G10 Para 3 M390

Post by husq2100 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:00 am
thespydy wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:11 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:07 am
thespydy wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:02 am
Available on DLT Trading at this very moment.
Gone at 10:04. I'm sure they pop up here and there from cancelled orders or returns. Just got be in the right place at the right time
Yup, gone. So fast. How many do the get, seven? Geez.
They went on sale on Tuesday. Based on previous high-demand drops and the fact that they were in stock for over a 1/2 hour leads me to believe that it was a decent sized run. DLT's not disclosing how big the production run was. So we may never know but I'm pretty sure it was a reasonable amount for an exclusive.
I dont understand how someone can go online knowing to buy one, do all the stuff and then think.... "yeah, nah" and cancel. shake my head.

I do wonder if them not selling out in minutes is more econimic than anything. There have been recent releases of the likes of the PM2 DLC 20CV and the re run of the Red M390 PM2 and the BBS Blue DLC just to name the PM family, so maybe $$$ have been tighter?

It was also really crappy to see the shear numbers of these turn up SO quickly on BF exchange. I was on the fence about this one so let it go.

For those in this thread saying they wouldnt mind helping forum members out. I may need some help if/when Riversedge cutlery do their PM2 exclusive as they dont do international sales... just saying :)
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Never really understood why people continuously cry about the secondary market. It has existed and will exist in every single product and market where there is more demand than supply. There was PLENTY of time for anyone to log on and buy one of these knives. Trust me, an entire HALF HOUR is an eternity compared to some other things I have tried to purchase online and been shut out because the item sold out within 2 seconds. Yes 2 SECONDS.

Take care of YOUR needs, and let everyone else take care of their own. No need to come online crying about someone trying to capitalize on a favorable supply/demand situation. It will forever exist so you better get used to it.

And for the record, I only purchased one, and if I like it I will keep it, otherwise I'll probably offer it for cost + shipping, because flipping knives for a measly $50 profit isn't going to pay my rent. If it's worth someone else's time to do that, all the power to them. Just consider the additional fees involved though when selling on ebay and also paying via Paypal. Someone selling this knife for $200 on eBay isn't making nearly as much as it might seem after all is said and done.

I hope those who ordered this one enjoy it as much as I wish to. Cheers!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Flippers are a cancer. They are literally STEALING from primary market buyers. Perhaps YOU have the luxury of riding a desk and pouncing on a purchase, but “TRUST ME” lots of folks simply don’t have that option. The “secondary market” existed long before epay. And it wasn’t a way to scalp buyers who got outcompeted by an unscrupulous flipper’s bots.

Easiest way to make your money back if you don’t like it is return it to the seller for refund. If you have so little control that you routinely impulse buy limited production knives and get cold feet, grow up. The price you pay for your lack of self control is the cost of selling the knife at a discount. I hope these flippers miss a mortgage payment or two because they couldn’t flip their stock in time.

Yeah that’s how I really feel about it.
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jacala

Post by jacala »

I think "flippers" lack ethics.
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Got this beauty in. Fit and finish are perfect. This is my first Para3 so I love how it very closely resembles my beloved Para2, just in a smaller package. Also love this steel. This would absolutely take over a significant amount of carry time, but a few issues will likely result in me passing this along to someone else.

I really really really wish they would have done something else with that lanyard hole. It's either too big, or is not placed ideally, or a combination of the two. This results in the clip running so far down the handle, that it catches on my middle finger when getting a grip to open or close, and also jabs into the pad of my hand with a normal grip during use, and I have fairly average sized hands. Maybe a deep carry clip would resolve that, maybe not. I would rather see no lanyard hole than the current configuration, besides creating an uncomfortable grip it makes the knife a very shallow pocket carry. Or somehow figure out how to get the wire clip into the design like I see they did with the LW, which would be ideal imo.

Speaking of clips, as an aside, why does Spyderco not offer a deep carry clip option, even as an additional purchase? I don't really understand why that is missing, and since so many models share the same clips it's not like it would add a crazy amount of new parts to deal with. No doubt they would be very popular. Sure aftermarket clips exist, but they are never quite the same level of quality you get from the OEM. Anyway, I digress.

I also think the spydie hole could be reduced in size, because this knife is just as wide as the Para2. A slightly smaller hole would allow for the overall dimensions to scale down a bit better. The scale thickness could also be reduced slightly, but that's much lower on the wish list then the overall width factor. If you're going for a smaller version of something, why not scale most if not all attributes to keep that overall balance intact that we all know and love from the Para2. You could even add reducing the blade (spine) thickness to that list, but again, more of a minor thing. I'm sure it all has to do with cost of manufacturing, but in the end the product suffers a bit as a result.

I really really want to love this knife, because M390 is one of my favorite blade steels, and the color is rad. For what it is as far as the Para3 goes, this exclusive was executed amazingly well, and my only gripes are more general about the Para3 itself. For those who are in love with the Para3 though, and you are into this blade steel, you really can't go wrong here and this one is a no-brainer. I only wish there was a sale forum on here somewhere I could offer it up at c+s to another member who missed out on this one. If anyone has any ideas on how to go about doing that within the forum rules, please shoot me a message.

69785602_10214853136098337_1112184001797292032_o.jpg
69250558_10214853136018335_1290361549000540160_o.jpg
Last edited by salimoneus on Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

salimoneus wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:40 pm
Got this beauty in. Fit and finish are perfect. This is my first Para3 so I love how it very closely resembles my beloved Para2, just in a smaller package. Also love this steel. This would absolutely take over a significant amount of carry time, but a few issues will likely result in me passing this along to someone else.

I really really really wish they would have done something else with that lanyard hole. It's either too big, or is not placed ideally, or a combination of the two. This results in the clip running so far down the handle, that it jabs into my palm during a normal grip, and I have fairly average sized hands. Maybe a deep carry clip would resolve that, maybe not. I would rather see no lanyard hole than the current configuration, besides creating an uncomfortable grip it makes the knife a very shallow pocket carry. Or somehow figure out how to get the wire clip into the design like I see they did with the LW, which would be ideal imo.

Speaking of clips, as an aside, why does Spyderco not offer a deep carry clip option, even as an additional purchase? I don't really understand why that is missing, and since so many models share the same clips it's not like it would add a crazy amount of new parts to deal with. No doubt they would be very popular. Sure aftermarket clips exist, but they are never quite the same level of quality you get from the OEM. Anyway, I digress.

I also think the spydie hole could be reduced in size, because this knife is just as wide as the Para2. A slightly smaller hole would allow for the overall dimensions to scale down a bit better. The scale thickness could also be reduced slightly, but that's much lower on the wish list then the overall width factor. If you're going for a smaller version of something, why not scale most if not all attributes to keep that overall balance intact that we all know and love from the Para2. You could even add reducing the blade (spine) thickness to that list, but again, more of a minor thing. I'm sure it all has to do with cost of manufacturing, but in the end the product suffers a bit as a result.

I really really want to love this knife, because M390 is one of my favorite blade steels, and the color is rad. For what it is as far as the Para3 goes, this exclusive was executed amazingly well, and my only gripes are more general about the Para3 itself. For those who are in love with the Para3 though, and you are into this blade steel, you really can't go wrong here and this one is a no-brainer. I only wish there was a sale forum on here somewhere I could offer it up at c+s to another member who missed out on this one. If anyone has any ideas on how to go about doing that within the forum rules, please shoot me a message.

69785602_10214853136098337_1112184001797292032_o.jpg69250558_10214853136018335_1290361549000540160_o.jpg
On page 7 of this thread, soc_monki mentioned he would've liked to have one to keep for his son. You could send him a pm through this forum. And I'm sure there are others here that would take you up on your kind offer.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:40 pm
Flippers are a cancer. They are literally STEALING from primary market buyers. Perhaps YOU have the luxury of riding a desk and pouncing on a purchase, but “TRUST ME” lots of folks simply don’t have that option. The “secondary market” existed long before epay. And it wasn’t a way to scalp buyers who got outcompeted by an unscrupulous flipper’s bots.

Easiest way to make your money back if you don’t like it is return it to the seller for refund. If you have so little control that you routinely impulse buy limited production knives and get cold feet, grow up. The price you pay for your lack of self control is the cost of selling the knife at a discount. I hope these flippers miss a mortgage payment or two because they couldn’t flip their stock in time.

Yeah that’s how I really feel about it.
I SECOND ALL OF THIS.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

husq2100 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:42 pm

I dont understand how someone can go online knowing to buy one, do all the stuff and then think.... "yeah, nah" and cancel. shake my head.

I do that all the time with these exclusives. I'll get to the check out page, and then realize I likely won't enjoy the knife enough to warrant spending the money. I seem to remember actually completing a purchase for an exclusive Para 3 at St. Nicks, and immediately regretting it. Thankfully they were willing to cancel the order for me.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN