Small knife saves Canadian man from grizzly bear

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DougC-3

Small knife saves Canadian man from grizzly bear

Post by DougC-3 »

Does anybody recognize this knife? Looks like a hole in the blade, so I was wondering if it was a Spyderco, but they say it has a 2 inch blade, and, with the empty space behind the blade, I thought it must be a flipper. And I'm not very familiar with flippers. Blown up, it looks like large jimps in the scales behind the blade, a little cheap looking.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49186379

If posting a link like this bends the rules too much :o please delete.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
OldHoosier62

Re: Small knife saves Canadian man from grizzly bear

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Goddard possibly???? Hard to tell from that angle.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Phenomenal just the same!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
James Y

Post by James Y »

There was a thread on this on BF, and the knife was revealed to be a Buck Kingsman:

https://youtu.be/eQGe2sEmaaY

Jim
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Aha! Thanks for solving the mystery for those of us who didn't catch it on the BF, James Y. I had thought that the coarse scale jimping would have had to be added by the owner if it were a Spyderco. Also the hole didn't look exactly right, also the angle where the blade meets the handle. Well, he made the best use of what he had :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Incredible tale of survival and a lucky man by the sounds.

Wonder now how many people have armed themselves against bear attack with a Buck Kingsman? :rolleyes:

SEF would have been all over this thread if he was here I reckon ... “James, and others ... an Endura with a reinforced tip, or not?” :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

That's amazing! Thank you for sharing that Doug.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

That's impressive. I sure wouldn't want to try to fight off a bear of any kind with any knife. Very lucky man. After that, I'm sure Buck has a lifelong customer.
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

Yeah.. I'd not want to try that with a griz.... seen them at a distance a few times out here in the mountains.. emphasis on distance...
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If that bear had really wanted him it would have turned out differently. Although, Davy Crockett killed at least 3 bears with his long knife, one of which was attacking him. But that knife was very long and able to pierce the hearts.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

This man must have been had some grace on his side. That is incredible. The mental image if being picked up by the abdomen and carried is just awful. Also, his ability to ride 4+ miles to help after that is awesome.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Where I used to work in a wetlands area in North Missouri we have Mountain Lions back in the region. I saw first evidence of them all the way back to 1999. One of the neighbors seen one on the same road our lodge was at 2:00 am one night on her way home from work back around 2005. Since then I've heard reports of a mother and two cubs in one sighting in that same area about 2 years ago. So I do know for a fact that we have a thriving population of Mountain Lions here in North Missouri ( if not the rest of the state too).

Personally I would fear an attack from one of them before I would fear a bear attack. I do think a Mountain Lion would be far more likely than a bear attack a human from all the information I've gathered.
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

Oddly enough, a guy in Colorado just fought off a mountain lion with his pocket knife about a week ago. It's been on the news lately.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Because of all the idiots we have today, these animals are fast losing their fear of us and attacks are on the increase.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Wow, what a story!

Reminds me a bit of this thread a few years back, where a member of this forum had to use their Caly 3.5 to end a mountain lion attack.

viewtopic.php?t=54132
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:52 am
Where I used to work in a wetlands area in North Missouri we have Mountain Lions back in the region. I saw first evidence of them all the way back to 1999. One of the neighbors seen one on the same road our lodge was at 2:00 am one night on her way home from work back around 2005. Since then I've heard reports of a mother and two cubs in one sighting in that same area about 2 years ago. So I do know for a fact that we have a thriving population of Mountain Lions here in North Missouri ( if not the rest of the state too).

Personally I would fear an attack from one of them before I would fear a bear attack. I do think a Mountain Lion would be far more likely than a bear attack a human from all the information I've gathered.
Scary cats indeed, but I am pretty sure the attacks on humans are quite rare. There are many of them where I live and they are spotted in urban areas on a regular basis. They are a bit more cautious with their prey and tend to go for small pets and children.

There are many bears around here as well (black bears mostly, but a couple of griz have made the swim) and typically they will leave you alone. However, bears can be unpredictable. A couple of years ago I came face to face with one and I felt rather undergunned with my readied .308. If that bear decided he wanted to harm me he sure would have done so given how close he was. I can't even imagine defending myself with a little Buck Kingsman. I have one- maybe I should carry it as a good luck charm.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Years ago on the news, there was a report on (and interview with) a woman who had killed a mountain lion that was attacking her son. She stabbed it with what looked like a Buck 112 (they showed the knife).

Jim
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

James Y wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:43 am
Years ago on the news, there was a report on (and interview with) a woman who had killed a mountain lion that was attacking her son. She stabbed it with what looked like a Buck 112 (they showed the knife).

Jim
Never underestimate a mother guarding her young.