a little (REC) help for down under

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
husq2100

a little (REC) help for down under

Post by husq2100 »

Hey all,

In hopeful anticipation of REC releasing a PM2 version of their excellent Para 3, ive found out they do not offer international shipping. Im wondering if anyone could help me if they do release it?

no idea how, so i'm open to suggestions.

cheers
Serg
stockliman

Re: a little (REC) help for down under

Post by stockliman »

Rec's suggestion is to use a freight forwarder. I've had this argument with them. They seem not to care about anyone accept US customers. Poor customer service in my opinion, but hey, it's their business. They can obviously afford to leave the cash on the table for thousands of potential customers.
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

stockliman wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:21 am
Rec's suggestion is to use a freight forwarder. I've had this argument with them. They seem not to care about anyone accept US customers. Poor customer service in my opinion, but hey, it's their business. They can obviously afford to leave the cash on the table for thousands of potential customers.
how do freight forwardwers work?

maybe with normal run knives they will lose the odd sale, but with an exclusive PM2 or Para 3 they will sell out quick regardless. I just dont want to pay flipper prices if I can avoid it.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Is this going to be soon? I see the REC Para 3 is selling for $400+ on ebay. :eek: Flippers are sure to be swarming this one.
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:45 am
Is this going to be soon? I see the REC Para 3 is selling for $400+ on ebay. :eek: Flippers are sure to be swarming this one.
No idea when, just trying to plan ahead. I missed the Para 3 and have been a little put off by the second market prices.
jacala

Post by jacala »

Possibly a dumb question, but what's a REC Para3 ?
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

jacala wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:35 am
Rivers Edge Cutlery (retailer/supplier) They had a run of Para 3s (exclusive) made for them. Not sure how many were made, but one of the most sort after and highest price holding Para 3s, along withe ST Nicks 4V version.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

jacala wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:35 am
An exclusive from River's Edge Cutlery. It has CTS 204p, a tan coating on the blade and OD green G10. Looks awesome. But you're going to need deep pockets to get one because everyone is charging a ton for it on the 2nd hand market. This is why there are more and more flippers targeting exclusives and sprints. It was $139 when it was released a year ago, yet the "sold" section on ebay shows $415, $500, $499, $455, $441, etc. all in the last 3 months. Insane.
Last edited by BornIn1500 on Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
jacala

Post by jacala »

Thanks husq2100.
I have about 40+ spydies, but that one is a bit out of my league !
Got a few para3's and just recently bought a Red G10 M390 Para3.
I have looked at a few of those USA shipping only sites and just give them a miss.
I don't like the idea of freight forwarders, but maybe that's just me !?
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

jacala wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:51 am
Thanks husq2100.
I have about 40+ spydies, but that one is a bit out of my league !
Got a few para3's and just recently bought a Red G10 M390 Para3.
I have looked at a few of those USA shipping only sites and just give them a miss.
I don't like the idea of freight forwarders, but maybe that's just me !?
I was actually suprised when they said they didnt ship O/S. I have bought from Knifecentre, DLT, BladeHQ, National Knives, Knives Plus, Cutlery Shoppe, etc all no problems.
jacala

Post by jacala »

My apologies, I meant Thanks to BornIn1500
jacala

Post by jacala »

husq2100
My last 6 or 7 purchases have been from DLT- They award points whenever you buy.
jdw

Post by jdw »

In the CS Zome thread Warstein recommends a freight forwarder that he has had good luck with forwarding to Europe. They may be able to help you out as well.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

stockliman wrote:
husq2100 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:56 am
I was actually suprised when they said they didnt ship O/S. I have bought from Knifecentre, DLT, BladeHQ, National Knives, Knives Plus, Cutlery Shoppe, etc all no problems.
They're a small store that also has a website to sell online. I'm not defending their business practices but they obviously have reason to not ship internationally.

As far as leaving cash on the table, based on how fast the second batch of Para 3s sold, I highly doubt they'll have to worry about selling all of these.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

What if several people in your country hired one forwarding service? Then you could split the costs and all buy the knives. I would bet that a dealer would understand and allow you to buy more than "one per household" (shipping address) in that case.

I have a friend who lives in Australia and uses a forwarder. I think he uses ReShip, and they aren't terribly expensive.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

stockliman wrote:
Lose a few expensive knives to Customs in other countries and have to eat the cost, you'll decide pretty quickly that it isn't worth the risk to ship overseas. It may seem like poor customer service to you, but it may be basic business survival to them.

husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:09 pm
stockliman wrote:
Lose a few expensive knives to Customs in other countries and have to eat the cost, you'll decide pretty quickly that it isn't worth the risk to ship overseas. It may seem like poor customer service to you, but it may be basic business survival to them.

Im not judging them or saying it poor customer service. The reality though is many companies do and with little problems. Heck even BBS ships O/S. if they dont want a risk, inform themselves on the rules etc and/or have their terms make the customer responsible.

Anyway, their choice is their choice, hence why im trying to work around it. Ill look into freight forwarders some more, but still open to some help one on one.

lets not turn this thread on to a REC customer service judgment.
stockliman

Post by stockliman »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:09 pm
stockliman wrote:

This is a myth. I'm not aware of a single knife going missing to thousands of buyers in the past 3 years. Yes, there may be a customs holdup, but the local guys have each other covered on processes to have incorrectly seized knives released.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i just found this and i don't understand if it is real, or how they have them, or even how they are allowed.
https://www.knifesilo.com/spyderco-para ... -edge.html
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Knifesilo is a scam site.