Endela-thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Endela-thread

Post by Wartstein »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:32 am
FK wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:25 am
My big disappointment with the Endela is the 3mm blade thickness.
IMHO it would have been much better with 2.5mm blade stock,, a 3 inch sharpened length slicer would be excellent.
The thicker blade stock is not necessary for a pocket knife of this size.

Regards,
FK

Funny, how I love the thickness the best of all it's properties. It's still FFG and cuts well. I wouldn't want a wafer I'm scared of using, that can bend when the wind hits it right.

Jazz, my friend, there are a few topics on which we´ll never fully agree it seems... ;) But that´s a good thing actually, and what makes the (knife-) world interesting.

Imho a Delica-thickness 2.5 mm blade on the Endela (and I give FK the honor to bring up this idea!) would be far from a "wafer" and from "bending when the wind hits it right".
Again, I suggest: Try to use a Chap (only 2mm) or a Delica (2.5mm) hard, I am sure you´ll be amazed what they can take (and how even better they slice than a 3mm blade).

You may say, that the Endela blade is longer and by that more prone to bending and breaking cause of maybe increased leverage. True in theory, but I think in real use 2.5 mm would be no problem whatsoever on an under 3.5" long blade like the Endela has... or only when one does totally crazy, useless youtube "hard use" tasks.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:42 am
Jazz wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:32 am

Jazz, my friend, there are a few topics on which we´ll never fully agree it seems... ;) But that´s a good thing actually, and what makes the (knife-) world interesting.

That's cool. I still respect your opinions, bro. I've always thought the Delicas in FFG were a tiny bit too thin. They're strong and cut well, but I'd feel better with half a milimeter more thickness. For some reason, the wharncliffe feels just right, and stronger at the same thickness. Maybe it's just in the tapering. Even though I made this vid to show the Delica's tip strength, I still feel the same way...

https://youtu.be/xXQvF3A3FE4
- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Just did some sitting, relaxing, and whittling with the Endela. Great way to get to know a knife, and to chill out. I’ll say it again, I really like the blade shape. This knife is growing on me. Those are the ones I usually end up liking the most. We’ll see. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

On my cross-country drive I saw a sign for Smoky Mountain Knife Works. I figured why not. This would be a good chance to check out the Endela (in no small part to this thread). I was disappointed to learn they were sold out. Sigh...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:48 pm
Just did some sitting, relaxing, and whittling with the Endela. Great way to get to know a knife, and to chill out. I’ll say it again, I really like the blade shape. This knife is growing on me. Those are the ones I usually end up liking the most. We’ll see. :cool:

Funny, I was in the woods yesterday and did the same with my Endela SE (plus throwing an Esee Laser Strike a bit). :)

I am still trying how well (or not) serrations work for "bushcraft" / wood tasks (not bad at all). But to be honest: I just like and want to hold in hand and USE this knife. It has something about it, that is just right. Even more so than the Endura, which is funny, cause I really love the Endura and seen just rationally prefer its longer blade...

Again: At least anyone who likes the general PM2 size should try the Endela imho!

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

p_atrick wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:51 pm
On my cross-country drive I saw a sign for Smoky Mountain Knife Works. I figured why not. This would be a good chance to check out the Endela (in no small part to this thread). I was disappointed to learn they were sold out. Sigh...

Sorry for you... but on the other hand and generally speaking: Great that they sell well, and you´ll find one for sure eventually! :)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I too was really hoping for a foliage green sabre ground combo edge version. A bit sad to hear a sabre grind isnt planned. Any idea on if there will at least be a combo edge option?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

straight-spine endella

Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

OH YEAH! That’s the stuff right there!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

z4vdBt wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:58 pm
straight-spine endella

Though I prefer the original blade shape personally: Nicely done! And with the blade shape you gave the Endela, it´s even more true: Anyone who likes the general PM 2 dimensions, but wants an even slimmer and lighter knife, should consider the Endela..
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:36 am
Though I prefer the original blade shape personally: Nicely done! And with the blade shape you gave the Endela, it´s even more true: Anyone who likes the general PM 2 dimensions, but wants an even slimmer and lighter knife, should consider the Endela..

I agree. Nice job on the mod though. I just did that to a Caly 3.5.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Just a (rather small and irrelevant, but still it may matter to some...) remark/observation: The Endela feels almost like an Endura gripwise, but just "almost"... somehow maybe a tiny bit better (I am one of those who loves the Endura ergos).

Now I think in a certain area (roughly between the red lines in the pic) the Endela handle might be a bit wider than the Enduras (look closly at the FRN patterns of each. Best to be seen in the area where the clip touches the handle). Don't have a caliper right now to confirm.
If that is, it's probably mainly due to the "mellowed out" finger placements on the Endela.

Another, even more irrelevant observation: The Endela is a tiny bit "deeper" in carry...;) (look at the attachement points of the clips)

Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

And let me say: I am glad and appreciate it, that on the whole this thread seems to work out like I hoped it would: So that most of the infos, insights, questions and experiences concerning this new model are easily to be found within one single thread - thank you all!! :)

(though, to be precise and critical: At a certain point it becomes a disadvantage probably if ALL info is contained in in one single thread: 100 pages of general "Endela- thread" will make it HARDER to find certain info compared to several threads, like "Endela in use" "Endela compared to..." and so on. The best would be, if a thread could have kind of "sub-threads" or "chapters"... ;) )
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:00 am
If that is, it's probably mainly due to the "mellowed out" finger placements on the Endela.
That photo you posted has done the most to convince me (aside from going to a brick and mortar store) that the Endela will fit my hands where the Endura wouldn't. This is one of the reasons that I like this forum so much. People here gladly share all kinds of information, and because we typically obsess over the details, you come to learn things that would never get mentioned in a YouTube review.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:24 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:00 am
That photo you posted has done the most to convince me (aside from going to a brick and mortar store) that the Endela will fit my hands where the Endura wouldn't. This is one of the reasons that I like this forum so much. People here gladly share all kinds of information, and because we typically obsess over the details, you come to learn things that would never get mentioned in a YouTube review.

Glad that my pic helped a bit! But, as much as I like to recommend the Endela: Be aware, gripwise the differences in hand to the Endura are very subtle. I personally just can't tell if the Endela feels a lot better to one who does not like the EndURa ergos, since I for me BOTH knives are close to perfect handlewise...

So handling the Endela in a store sure would be a good idea.
Perhaps you'd like to report back here if the EndELa has better ergos for you than the EndURa... I hope so for you, since it is a great knife (and in my pocket right now.. :) )
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

My surprise with the Endela - was that I figured it being a larger handle than my mainstay Delica 4, it would offer many different grip opportunities and I would be able to move my hand all around the handle. However, I found that I could get only one really solid and comfortable grip on it and if I tried to hold it any differently the ergo's were no longer there. Don't get me wrong, it is a wonderful knife and I am glad it is available; just my personal expectations of a larger handle and being able to comfortably hold it many ways didn't match my reality.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cycleguy wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:20 am
My surprise with the Endela - was that I figured it being a larger handle than my mainstay Delica 4, it would offer many different grip opportunities and I would be able to move my hand all around the handle. However, I found that I could get only one really solid and comfortable grip on it and if I tried to hold it any differently the ergo's were no longer there. Don't get me wrong, it is a wonderful knife and I am glad it is available; just my personal expectations of a larger handle and being able to comfortably hold it many ways didn't match my reality.

CG
Thanx for sharing!

Then I am almost sure you never had an EndURa, right?
The Endela really offers almost exactly the same grip options as the Endura. EndELas handle might be a tiny bit wider and hand filling, but otherwise it's really similarly shaped to the Enduras handle. The Endura handle is a bit longer on the rear end, but unless one has XXXXL hands in use that is not noticeable and no advantage I think.

I personally use FOUR different grip positions on the Endela: Most used: Index finger on the Ricasso. Second most: All fingers on the grip quite forward (almost two fingers in the first finger placement). third: Middle finger on Ricasso or handle, index finger on the spine near the tip. Fourth: Gripped backwards, only index finger in the first finger placement- pretty unstable / unbalanced for most tasks, ok for cutting not too hard stuff on a cutting board.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Let me add to my post above:
As I compare the Endela to the PM2 (which has also very good ergos for me, just not the contouring of FRN scales):
If one likes to choke up on the Ricasso: The Endela has one hand position /grip option more than the PM2 imho
If one only chokes up on dedicated choils: Both have the same number, but different grip options.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Is the Endela the same, longer, or shorter, in closed length as a Manix 2 LW?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:46 am
Is the Endela the same, longer, or shorter, in closed length as a Manix 2 LW?

Exactly the same. The Manix back lock, anyway. I assume they’re the same. My lightweight’s in a box somewhere.
- best wishes, Jazz.