Mantra 3 vs Sliverax which one to get?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kykamo

Mantra 3 vs Sliverax which one to get?

Post by kykamo »

Iv decided to get a s30v flipper spydie. These two I'm interested in.

It seems to me the Mantra 3 has the edge over the Sliverax for weight, price, size, bearings and rides a little deeper. But with the Sliverax the handle design creates an amazing hand guard. Which is a important quality I need in this knife.

Does the mantra 3 have a confident hand guard design? Or is it not that great? Like is it a better handguard design than a Native or the same?

Out of the two, which do you prefer?

Thanks
hambone56rx

Re: Mantra 3 vs Sliverax which one to get?

Post by hambone56rx »

I vote the Sliverax! It is literally my most carried knife. I carry it over my Manix 2 and PM2. The weight is crazy light, it has a longer blade than the Mantra 3 and the overall profile looks a lot better IMHO. And Paul Alexander, the designer, is an outstanding dude! I also love that I have the first ever compression lock flipper from spyderco!

Hamilton
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Don't have a Mantra 3 but that's mostly because I have far less interest in it vs the Sliverax. Also if anything I think I'd find a Mantra 2 over the 3 anyway.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

If I were to buy one of these two, I'd definitely get the Sliverax. I thought the action was great for a flipper, and the ergonomics for me are a world better than the Mantra.

If you're a fan of the Delica / Mantra handle, it'd be a closer battle, but for me the choice is easy.
:unicorn
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Depends on hand size. The mantra is the best fit for small hands, while I'd suggest the amalgam is the best option for XL hands. The sliverax is a good in between.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I have the first Mantra only, and I recently also got a Sliverax. Full disclosure: I haven't done more than fiddle with the Sliverax because I sent it into spyderco because the detente on the one I received was so weak as to be unsafe, imo. Apparantly this is a common complaint on the model. However, everything else about the Sliverax was amazing - the cool design, the compression lock on a flipper, the super "locked in" feel in hand, the light weight. I really hope they'll fix the detente for me or replace the knife.

I also really like my Mantra, it's basically like a non-frn delica with a flipper, which is awesome imo. A version of that with carbon fiber and a comp lock sounds even better on paper, although I don't like how they changed the blade shape to accomodate the comp lock, and tucked away the flipper tab into the handle when the knife is open. The more exposed tab on the original makes me feel like I won't slip up onto the blade. So the new one does not strike me as a "confident handguard design".

The Sliverax is also a larger knife that doesn't feel like a larger knife. So, if I had to pick one, I'd definitely go Sliverax, and cross my fingers for a stronger detente than on the one I got.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:27 pm
Don't have a Mantra 3 but that's mostly because I have far less interest in it vs the Sliverax. Also if anything I think I'd find a Mantra 2 over the 3 anyway.
Big fan of the Mantra (1) and Sliverax. So for me the Mantra 3 is like a cross between the two. I planned on getting one when they first came out but never did. I ended up buying the Sliverax instead. No need for me to buy the Mantra 3 now because I have the other 2.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Ric

Post by Ric »

The hand guard is better at the sliverax.
It's also bigger than the mantra 3.

You can shake out the blade at the mantra 3, at sliverax more easy because the blade is heavier.

As i do not like the detent I would not buy them again.
I would buy a para 3 /PM2.
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

If handguard is your criteria and you're choosing between the Mantra 3 and Sliverax, I'd go with the Sliverax. The Mantra 3 handle leaves very little flipper tab exposed when the knife is open so it wouldn't really serve as a significant hand guard. I preferred the handle on the Mantra 1 and 2 because of this change.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Sliverax is much better in hand for me.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Don't forget the Smock is also a flipper in S30V, and as of a couple days ago it was available again.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I love the Sliverax design.Mantra is too much a Delica in a evening gown,for my taste.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
kykamo

Post by kykamo »

Thanks guys! I'll be looking for a Sliverax then

The smock looks nice, but I need something with a strong point on it.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I don't own one, but I would say Mantra 3 based on how much I love the Mantra 1.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson