2020 Spyderco Forum Calendar Contest!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AlexRus

Re: 2020 Spyderco Forum Calendar Contest!

Post by AlexRus »

Shaggy Dog wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:34 am
I just finished my image last night, so I guess this is the morning for Native 5s! :)

As stated, I chose the Native 5 fluted titanium for my entry. It’s an American made lock back, made from great modern materials, comfortable in use, and with beautiful aesthetics.

Gears, pulleys, and tool related items can have such an interesting look to them- and I thought these kinds of items would provide a really nice contrast/compliment to the Titanium native. The Native and the items depicted all have something in common in that they have both utilitarian purpose, and a very unique appeal to the eye.
Dope
👍
G_shark

Post by G_shark »

Knife: HAWKBILL BYRD™ FRN Black BY22BK

I have always liked the idea of inexpensive tools that work for a living. Sure, I have a bunch of nice and much more expensive Spyderco knives. There's just something about a good inexpensive tool that doesn't need too much maintaince. Spyderco outdid themselves in that arena with the Tenacious line, more recently the Polestar and so on. I'd even include the Delica in this categorie for that matter. However, the Byrd line just breathes that philosophy. A Byrd raven rides in my outdoorsy backpack, I have a Finch and Starling on my keys quite often... THE workhorse of all the Byrd knives in my book, is the Hawkbill however. The serrations, it's Delica-esque grip and the unique blade shape make this my go to 'odd job around the house and in the yard' knife. Here it is after opening some packs of soil and digging some holes for my new lettuce garden.

Thanks for the opportunity, Spyderco team.

GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

My entry shows the Spyderco Lil' Lionspy, C181GTI, in the window of a truck while "spying" on wild African lions in Ngorongoro Crater, Tanzania, Africa. In the background is a wild male lion that was sleeping in the middle of the Crater during the hot part of the day. He happened to raise his head right as I was taking these pictures, so I was lucky to get this "lion-spy" shot. This photo also reminded me of the old-time Spyderco slogan, "All God's Critters Have Knives." Good luck to all, and thanks to Spyderco for hosting the contest!

StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

^Wow! I think that's my favorite so far!
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

That's an amazing picture GoldenSpydie!

Here is my submission for the contest.

Since getting my first Lil Native a short time ago, I have been impressed with the tough, robust construction of these little knives. They are truly the essence of compact strength and ruggedness, well able to take on any difficult and demanding task. Add to that a steel known for being able to survive abuse, itself coated in super durable DLC, and you have what I think is the toughest little knife, ounce for ounce, that money can buy. Well done Spyderco!

- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Foto was taken during a 3-days-camp trip this summer. The whittling of my first wooden spoon has taken about 4 hours, I guess this is not very fast but good work needs some time. ;)
The knife is my often used FB26PWD Bushcraft and meanwhile it is, with its selftuned sheath, just as unique as the spoon. The whole ensemble accompanies me also in future trips in the woods that's for sure!

Good luck to everyone and thank you Spyderco!

Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Model: Spyderco "Q" C35SBK
Forum Name: SpyderNut

In the early days of my knife collecting, the Spyderco Q was one of the first Spyderco models to catch my eye. I loved its skeletonized blade and handle, unique locking mechanism, and featherweight lightness. If my memory serves correct, I found this particular Q at a local gun show. I carried it frequently throughout my college years and have many fond memories attached to it.

Thank you for the opportunity to participate, Spyderco. Best of luck to all the participants.

-Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

StuntZombie wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:48 am

That’s the winner right there. Great knife, picture, and contrasts.
- best wishes, Jazz.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Native 5 is one of my top favorites. It comes in various steel options and handle materials. The latest linerless G10 models (pictured) is a home run. Needles to say, I have more than one Native 5s in my collection.

Peter
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:56 pm
StuntZombie wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:48 am

That’s the winner right there. Great knife, picture, and contrasts.
Thanks Jazz! Looking back, I kinda wish I'd cleaned it up a little first, but I figure a work knife should look like a work knife.

And thanks to you for convincing Sal and Co. to produce the wharncliffe Delica!
Chris

Just say NO to lined FRN
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

My entry for this year contest is the full size high-performance “established" Spyderco Military. Love the old school aggressive jimping & steel used in the introduced models but am blown away with Spyderco’s continued C.Q.I on overall ergonomics and cutting performance. 1996-2006-2016 and beyond. The C36 Military is now arguably the KING OF THE PAST 30…...

Spyder_Flick

Post by Spyder_Flick »

dtoad wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:00 pm
My entry for this year contest is the full size high-performance “established" Spyderco Military. Love the old school aggressive jimping & steel used in the introduced models but am blown away with Spyderco’s continued C.Q.I on overall ergonomics and cutting performance. 1996-2006-2016 and beyond. The C36 Military is now arguably the KING OF THE PAST 30…...

Great photo
My :spyder: : Native 5 LW
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

dtoad wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:00 pm

DANG! :eek:
Chris

Just say NO to lined FRN
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

This year's entry features one of Spyderco's newest collaborative models, the Ikuchi. I've been carrying mine this summer due to its light weight, pocket friendly design, and absolutely fluid lines. It's perfect for small cutting tasks. While outside pruning some plants, I happened to spot a large beetle buzzing around in the ferns. Inspired by the beetle's size, I quickly wiped off the Ikuchi and held it up to compare - small knife, big bug! Then the unexpected happened: the beetle landed on the knife, and this photo was born.

EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Also, I've uploaded the full size image, but once the page submits, I get a blank page, not any confirmation.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:02 pm
Also, I've uploaded the full size image, but once the page submits, I get a blank page, not any confirmation.
I seem to remember it taking a while for the page to change over once I submitted my image.
Chris

Just say NO to lined FRN
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

StuntZombie wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:15 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
I seem to remember it taking a while for the page to change over once I submitted my image.
Yeah, I think it uploaded, but the page I landed on was blank. Still had a calendar related spyderco url, however. I just want to make sure it's done correctly. Appreciate the info!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:55 pm
This year's entry features one of Spyderco's newest collaborative models, the Ikuchi. I've been carrying mine this summer due to its light weight, pocket friendly design, and absolutely fluid lines. It's perfect for small cutting tasks. While outside pruning some plants, I happened to spot a large beetle buzzing around in the ferns. Inspired by the beetle's size, I quickly wiped off the Ikuchi and held it up to compare - small knife, big bug! Then the unexpected happened: the beetle landed on the knife, and this photo was born.
Wow great composition and quality photo curlyhairedboy! I hope that one makes it into the calendar. :cool:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:55 pm

Love this, great pic :cool:
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:30 pm
StuntZombie wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:15 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Yeah, I think it uploaded, but the page I landed on was blank. Still had a calendar related spyderco url, however. I just want to make sure it's done correctly. Appreciate the info!
I hope it worked man. That was a beautiful shot!
Chris

Just say NO to lined FRN