How about a titanium compression frame lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

How about a titanium compression frame lock?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Titanium frame locks are popular, and some of them are very appealing, I just can't get past my aversion to liner locks with most of them (I keep eyeballing the spydiechef and techno though, maybe I'll break down and get one).

But for the future, would anyone else be interested in a titanium integral compression lock?

Maybe a new design, maybe a Para3, what do you think?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SG89

Re: How about a titanium compression frame lock?

Post by SG89 »

Absolutely
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

So an upside down frame lock?
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

That worked well with the first Salsa

Would be keen in other models such as the Para 3, but I'm not sure if titanium Spydercos have been stellar sellers.

(I'd love a reissue of the Ti ATR, but the ho-hum response to the ATR 2 bodes poorly for that..)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

There was a Salsa and the ATR and there was a fluted Ti Para2 with integral comp lock. I have a pic of it somewhere. Why an integral Para2 has never come to fruition is beyond me. I am sure it would sell well.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

soulspy wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:43 am
So an upside down frame lock?
On the surface it does appear that way but the comp lock actually operates in a very different way. The force vectors are completely different and the comp lock works more like an axis/bolt/cbbl.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I would be completely against it UNLESS there was a steel lockbar insert. A direct titanium/steel lock interface can and will wear out, I've had it happen to me.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Yes, definitely. I've asked about it here in the past year and Sal said it probably won't happen because of the expense involved. I didn't buy the ATR 2 because it was a linered G10 knife, and not an integral comp lock like the original. I think a fluted Ti handle with integral comp lock would be amazing on the Shaman.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Would need to be Golden or Taichung made... Japanese made would probably cost way more
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
archangel

Post by archangel »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:55 am
But for the future, would anyone else be interested in a titanium integral compression lock?

Always! By far my favorite handle material. :)

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:55 am
Maybe a new design, maybe a Para3, what do you think?

Something new please. Never stop creating new stuff!! ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I know they're expensive, but I didn't figure much more than a a regular Ti framelock. And the Spydie Chef sold out, the Mcbee sold out, it didn't fly off the shelves but I think the Techno2 is doing good (I see lots of them on IG). With the right model, I think there would be demand.

Golden is ALWAYS my first choice in manufacturing.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Unlike the switch from liner to frame lock, where you (in theory) get a lock that works harder when you grip harder, the switch to a frame comp lock doesn't get you anything except more difficult machining. In fact, you may just be making the lock worse, because you can't pinch the lock with your index finger to disengage, since there's no liner on the other side for your thumb to push on.

Hard pass.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

There were talks of a Ti Caribbean XL.

I desperately want one, but I'm not holding my breath.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
zippifish

Post by zippifish »

dj moonbat wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:16 pm
Unlike the switch from liner to frame lock, where you (in theory) get a lock that works harder when you grip harder, the switch to a frame comp lock doesn't get you anything except more difficult machining. In fact, you may just be making the lock worse, because you can't pinch the lock with your index finger to disengage, since there's no liner on the other side for your thumb to push on.

Hard pass.
Yeah I don't get how that would work exactly, I disengage the compression lock by pinching my thumb and index finger on the scale and lock, maybe there's another way. :confused:
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

dj moonbat wrote:

Hard pass.
Doesn't get me anything? Speak for yourself. It gets me a liner-less knife. Every steel linered Spyderco I've owned has rusted on the liners. Can't pinch to disengage? Just put your thumb on the scale below the lock bar cutout. It works.
vivi

Post by vivi »

ugaarguy wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:54 pm
dj moonbat wrote:

Hard pass.
Doesn't get me anything? Speak for yourself. It gets me a liner-less knife. Every steel linered Spyderco I've owned has rusted on the liners. Can't pinch to disengage? Just put your thumb on the scale below the lock bar cutout. It works.
Was gonna say the same thing. DJ, have you ever tried a Salsa or ATR 1? No issues at all unlocking them.

I no longer buy comp locks, but I think integral Ti comp locks are an engineering marvel, and I'm surprised more aren't made. It'd be cool to see a one piece handle design like a comp lock nirvana.
Last edited by vivi on Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

ugaarguy wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:54 pm
dj moonbat wrote:

Hard pass.
You could operate it similarly to backlock as well, or place your thumb just ahead of the lock tab near the pivot and use your index finger to disengage. Although largely unnecessary, it would be a stronger lock as well, with less chance of failure; both in regard to virtually eliminating chances of user error and increasing the maximum force it could handle. You're right about liners rusting. I'd pay for LC200N liners in any and all knives, even if the blade was 52100. I am also a big fan of titanium in general. I absolutely love it for days off. Unfortunately at work I need something with more texture that is more anchored to my pocket. Titanium feels good in hand and makes the knife more rigid/solid. I'm hoping someone makes titanium scales for the Shaman one day.
Last edited by Pelagic on Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:28 am
...and there was a fluted Ti Para2 with integral comp lock. I have a pic of it somewhere...
Was that a prototype only, or a custom scale/frame set?

I'd have to get one if it happened, PM2 or Para 3
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:14 pm
I would be completely against it UNLESS there was a steel lockbar insert. A direct titanium/steel lock interface can and will wear out, I've had it happen to me.

Agreed. Honestly I'm not crazy about it either way but definitely not if it's just raw titanium at the lock face.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:19 pm
You could operate it similarly to backlock as well, or place your thumb just ahead of the lock tab near the pivot and use your index finger to disengage.
I have taken to unlocking my Shaman like that if i don't want to do the pinch-grip closing method that is, i think, the more typical closing method.

Since i am a backlock fan, i am quite used to letting the choil or kick fall onto my index finger as the knife is halfway closed-- so this feels pretty natural with the Shaman's comp lock.

The benefit of using this method is the ability to open and close the knife from a usable grip without repositioning-- except to roll the knife 180 degrees in your palm.
Last edited by Enactive on Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.