The History of Powder Metals in Damascus Steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larrin

The History of Powder Metals in Damascus Steel

Post by Larrin »

Through interviews with 15+ knifemakers and Damascus steel producers (including a Spyderco fan favorite in Ed Schempp) I was able to put together a history of the introduction of powder metals to pattern-welded Damascus steel. This was a particularly influential period in terms of mosaic Damascus pattern development and it was fun to talk to these legendary Damascus makers about the process of pushing the envelope with new techniques. https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/08/19/ ... cus-steel/
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
attila

Re: The History of Powder Metals in Damascus Steel

Post by attila »

Awesome! Thanks, Larrin!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

Larrin has been involved in cutlery metallurgy most all of his life. Devin, Larrin's dad is one of the most knowledgeable custom Damascus steel producers and mentors I have known. We are extremely lucky to be able to benefit from Larrin's research and professionalism.
I highly recommend reading any and all of the work that Larrin produces.
Probably the most important aspect of the development of powder Damascus is the fact that so many people passionately cooperated in research and development.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Ed Schempp wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:06 am
Larrin has been involved in cutlery metallurgy most all of his life. Devin, Larrin's dad is one of the most knowledgeable custom Damascus steel producers and mentors I have known. We are extremely lucky to be able to benefit from Larrin's research and professionalism.
I highly recommend reading any and all of the work that Larrin produces.
Probably the most important aspect of the development of powder Damascus is the fact that so many people passionately cooperated in research and development.
Thanks for all your help, Ed!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Fascinating stuff! I really had no idea how sophisticated Damascus patterns could be made. The workmanship on show in this article is incredible.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Thanks for sharing. I had often wondered how the patterns and pictures in some Damascus were made. Now I have a much clearer idea.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Fantastic history presented there! Thanks Larrin!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Dumb question: why does damascus work?
Say I have 410 and 1095 - when I forge them together, why is it layers of 410 and 1095 and not another steel entirely? Or is that because the temperature is too low?
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

GarageBoy wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:07 am
Say I have 410 and 1095 - when I forge them together, why is it layers of 410 and 1095 and not another steel entirely? Or is that because the temperature is too low?
Diffusion of small atoms like carbon and nitrogen is fast because they are "interstitial" atoms that can travel between the larger iron atoms. Alloying elements like Al, Si, Mn, Cr, Mo, etc. are "substitutional" atoms meaning they replace the iron atoms themselves. The diffusion of substitutional elements is much slower and doesn't occur to a large extent at the temperatures and times used for forge welding. http://depa.fquim.unam.mx/amyd/archiver ... _33073.pdf
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Thanks for the informative read!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Very nice, thank you for a good read.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Always interesting!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

As always, this was a very interesting read, and full of beautiful examples! Thank you Larrin and contributors!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Larrin wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:17 am
GarageBoy wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:07 am
Diffusion of small atoms like carbon and nitrogen is fast because they are "interstitial" atoms that can travel between the larger iron atoms. Alloying elements like Al, Si, Mn, Cr, Mo, etc. are "substitutional" atoms meaning they replace the iron atoms themselves. The diffusion of substitutional elements is much slower and doesn't occur to a large extent at the temperatures and times used for forge welding. http://depa.fquim.unam.mx/amyd/archiver ... _33073.pdf
Thanks! Will have to digest that article
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Fascinating read. Thanks!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050