Shaman Questions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bagsnatcher

Re: Shaman Questions

Post by bagsnatcher »

Oh, one more thought: the carbon fiber on the S90 version of the Shaman is some of the best I've ever seen in the knife world (outside of racing & aerospace). The Yojimbo & PM2 are good, but the Shaman handle is great.
bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

bagsnatcher wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:59 pm
Oh, one more thought: the carbon fiber on the S90 version of the Shaman is some of the best I've ever seen in the knife world (outside of racing & aerospace). The Yojimbo & PM2 are good, but the Shaman handle is great.
Nice pic 👍
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bagsnatcher wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:13 pm

Lil Native blade on a Native 5 handle? Or just an odd perspective? (Nice pic in any case)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

No that's definitely the Lil native handle. Nice little knife there. And the Shaman is unreal. Another s90v run would be awesome. They sold out in an instant didn't they?
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Yeah, the CF on the Shaman sprint is extremely nice.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:13 pm
Genotoxic wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:10 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:11 am

Man, you´re right, it´s really hard for me NOT to buy a Shaman... ;) (and I most likely will eventully anyway, and "just" the G10 /S 30V version, which is perfectly fine for me..). It´s just: I can´t and don´t want to have TOO many folders (and except one BM Minigrip all my quality folders are Spydies), generally / for financial reaons, and cause I could not really carry and use all of them any more if I had too many. And though I am NOT one of those who say the Shaman is overpriced (it is NOT in my view, but worth every cent), it is still quite expensive compared to lets say my usual Endura / Stretch and so on models (especially here in Europe...)

If weight is not a concern of yours PLUS you are a compression lock guy: You really HAVE to get a Shaman imho! Ergonomically one of the best designs I ever experienced in a folder.

You're right about ergos! The Shaman takes the spydie ergos that are generally good and just makes it amazing.. its crazy what a little contouring can do to make the handle just melt into your hand. That being said you do pay a premium for the contouring and overall beef aspect to the knife I think but its definitely worth it if you're into having a serious tool in your pocket.

Also a little comment about compression locks. The normal way people close them is with the pinch grip and drop shut but since Im so used to backlocks I usually close my compression locks by holding like you would a backlock and pressing the comp lock to the side with my thumb and letting the blade drop to my finger then flipping it around and finishing it with my thumb. I found at work this makes it a lot more secure and easy to close when I have gloves on and because im so used to backlocks its just as fast. Not trying to break your will power but if you HAD to warm up to a comp lock maybe that'll help!
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:52 pm
Genotoxic wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:02 pm
I've been meaning to answer this for some time because I am a huge fan of the Shaman. I have my CF/S90V version right here by my side for reference as I answer these questions. The Shaman is in my top 3 Spyderco knives of all time alongside the PM2, Manix 2, and Military.

This is just a superb knife. I love the thick blade stock. The contoured scales are wonderful. It fits in my hand like it was made just for me.
For such a big stout knife, it really carries like a smaller knife in pocket. The contoured scales have a lot to do with this.

And yes, I am quite glad I picked up the CF/S90V sprint, no regrets there, though it was a tad pricey It is one of my all time favorite knives.

A brief tangent here. I am surprised how much attention is paid to how knives open and close. The most important thing ought to be how the knife functions when it is being used as .... a knife! Maybe the second on how it carries. On the other hand, I am totally hung up on the Spyderco hole. I hate studs in the worst way. Worse than splinters in my underwear. Anyway, the Shaman is superb when open and being used as a tool and I love the compression lock, no apologies from me there.

I was pretty doggone sure I was going to like the Shaman before I ever got one and it has only grown on me since.
After having the Shaman now for a couple days I can agree with you on how awesome it is! Also what you were mentioning about the attention on the opening/closing of the knife is completely something that comes about from overthinking at the computer and watching too many youtube videos haha. After I played around with the knife for a few minutes I really couldn't care about the small details of the action of the knife. It does its job and does it well and thats really what matters.

Also while pricey the CF/S90V sprint is worth every penny! Such a beautiful knife I'd pay the extra money all day for the handle scales... plus the fancy steel is always welcome.
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

Got the Shaman a few days ago and have been giving it some use since to get a feel... and I can say its definitely a badass tool first and foremost.

I always found the Native to be a little tank of a knife because it's fairly indestructible for what it is but the Shaman is a big tank! It's a little chunkier and heavier than most if my Spydies but really it's so well balanced I never feel like its sluggish, more like you just know you've got a chunk of steel in your hand ready to get at whatever job you put it to.

This knife isn't as flicky and fidget friendly as say a Para 3 but does it ever open with authority. Strong detent makes the heavy blade come barreling out and the compression lock on this guy is more stout than other models giving it a loud snap letting you know its locked and loaded. To me the action fits the knife perfectly.

The knife carries just as well as a PM2 if not slightly better, and also cuts great... I mean it's a Spyderco who doubted that? But considering how strong the blade and tip is you're really not compromising much on this knife.

Oh also ergonomics... probably the main feature. Let me say they're on another level from the typical spyderco ergonomics. I doubted how effective some contouring would be but really it makes the handle feel like it's custom made for your mitts. Something you've got to experience in hand to really understand I think.

Overall it's a sweet knife and I'm happy with the purchase for sure! This knife just begs to be used so I feel like its gonna get a lot of pocket time, sorry to my other spydies that'll collect dust for a bit. Already a huge fan of this knife and most likely going to grow an even bigger appreciation as time goes on. I'd like to thank everyone that answered on here... my wallet might not like you guys but whatever that'll recover haha.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the nubbin bothered me, but i knew i could get past it. unfortunately, it wasn’t as comfortable in my hand as my manix because it’s a little smaller under my ring and pinky fingers. the real nail in the coffin for me though is the price. the shaman’s confusingly high cost (compared to similar offerings, even from spyderco) is its worst feature and will forever keep one out of my pocket.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Genotoxic wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:47 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Genotoxic wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:11 am

Also a little comment about compression locks. The normal way people close them is with the pinch grip and drop shut but since Im so used to backlocks I usually close my compression locks by holding like you would a backlock and pressing the comp lock to the side with my thumb and letting the blade drop to my finger then flipping it around and finishing it with my thumb. I found at work this makes it a lot more secure and easy to close when I have gloves on and because im so used to backlocks its just as fast. Not trying to break your will power but if you HAD to warm up to a comp lock maybe that'll help!

You are right, that is a point I certainly was not fair to the compression lock (and was not in many comments I made already tbh)!

Sure you can close it almost like backlock if you want (so not just in that pinch grip way many people seem to do it).

Two things are a bit worse though if you do so:

1.) Pressing the lock tab to the side with the thumb is a little less convinient and reliable than pressing down the backlock with the thumb (but not by much)
2.) More importantly: The bias towards closing makes many "backlock closing methods" more natural and easyier with, well, a backlock than with a comp. lock from the point the lock is released. Using YOUR method there really is not much difference admittedly, but if you more PULL the blade in the closing position like in other "backlock methods", a backlock knife "closes itself" from a certain point on, while you have to pull a comp. lock knife all the way in the closed position (and than make sure it is really closed, since it does not "snap" in place)

EDIT: But what´s also true: Anone who can close a comp.lock knife with the "backlock-methods" will have LEARNED those, an no longer find a backlock harder to close one handed than a comp. lock whatsoever anymore... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Genotoxic wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:28 pm

Got the Shaman a few days ago and have been giving it some use since to get a feel... and I can say its definitely a badass tool first and foremost.

I always found the Native to be a little tank of a knife because it's fairly indestructible for what it is but the Shaman is a big tank! It's a little chunkier and heavier than most if my Spydies but really it's so well balanced I never feel like its sluggish, more like you just know you've got a chunk of steel in your hand ready to get at whatever job you put it to.

This knife isn't as flicky and fidget friendly as say a Para 3 but does it ever open with authority. Strong detent makes the heavy blade come barreling out and the compression lock on this guy is more stout than other models giving it a loud snap letting you know its locked and loaded. To me the action fits the knife perfectly.

The knife carries just as well as a PM2 if not slightly better, and also cuts great... I mean it's a Spyderco who doubted that? But considering how strong the blade and tip is you're really not compromising much on this knife.

Oh also ergonomics... probably the main feature. Let me say they're on another level from the typical spyderco ergonomics. I doubted how effective some contouring would be but really it makes the handle feel like it's custom made for your mitts. Something you've got to experience in hand to really understand I think.

Overall it's a sweet knife and I'm happy with the purchase for sure! This knife just begs to be used so I feel like its gonna get a lot of pocket time, sorry to my other spydies that'll collect dust for a bit. Already a huge fan of this knife and most likely going to grow an even bigger appreciation as time goes on. I'd like to thank everyone that answered on here... my wallet might not like you guys but whatever that'll recover haha.
glad you're enjoying it!

As you break it in, it's only going to get more satisfying to use. My s30v Shaman has seen a lot of pocket time and it's only gotten better. Faster deployment, effortless cutting and returning to the pocket. I use it all day in the garden and it's quicker than a pair of shears.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:09 am
Genotoxic wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:47 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Genotoxic wrote:

You are right, that is a point I certainly was not fair to the compression lock (and was not in many comments I made already tbh)!

Sure you can close it almost like backlock if you want (so not just in that pinch grip way many people seem to do it).

Two things are a bit worse though if you do so:

1.) Pressing the lock tab to the side with the thumb is a little less convinient and reliable than pressing down the backlock with the thumb (but not by much)
2.) More importantly: The bias towards closing makes many "backlock closing methods" more natural and easyier with, well, a backlock than with a comp. lock from the point the lock is released. Using YOUR method there really is not much difference admittedly, but if you more PULL the blade in the closing position like in other "backlock methods", a backlock knife "closes itself" from a certain point on, while you have to pull a comp. lock knife all the way in the closed position (and than make sure it is really closed, since it does not "snap" in place)

EDIT: But what´s also true: Anone who can close a comp.lock knife with the "backlock-methods" will have LEARNED those, an no longer find a backlock harder to close one handed than a comp. lock whatsoever anymore... ;)
Oh 100% agree backlocks are far more satisfying in this method. Just a little workaround for comp locks because when I'm 20ft in the air on a scissor lift cutting a band of tape with one hand while the other holds a bundle of wire steady I do not trust the pinch method one bit haha.

You can't beat a backlocks retention in the handle though and they'll always have that as a major bonus. My harness lifted my Maxamet Native 5 out of my pocket the other day while I was high up on a lift and it fell all the way down to the concrete and bounced numerous times... went down to check the damage and the knife didnt open at all and only sustained some minor deformation to the FRN. No way a comp lock could have held up and I doubt the blade would go undamaged bouncing across a concrete floor opened for 20 feet.
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:51 am
Genotoxic wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:28 pm
glad you're enjoying it!

As you break it in, it's only going to get more satisfying to use. My s30v Shaman has seen a lot of pocket time and it's only gotten better. Faster deployment, effortless cutting and returning to the pocket. I use it all day in the garden and it's quicker than a pair of shears.
Honestly every day I carry and use this thing the more it grows on me! Its cutting performance is insane. I'm not sure if it's the grind because I know it's a bit thicker than other Spyderco grinds but maybe because the handle is so comfortable I can go full force into cuts without holding back due to hotspots so cuts seem easier.

My only problem is now I'm really eyeing a S30V version to be a bit of a beater because while I have no problem using the sprint, the knife is too beautiful to be careless about. I mean an S30V for work and the S90/CF for the rest of the time is justifiably right?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Or wait for the cruwear sprint, that'll be a real workhorse!
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:52 pm
Knowing my patience theres a very high probability I'll end up with both lol!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Genotoxic wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:14 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:52 pm
Knowing my patience theres a very high probability I'll end up with both lol!
Yeah, I'm busy trying to line up custom scales in several different micarta 'flavors' just for the cruwear sprints. I need my OD green canvas!