Do you immediately sharpen a new Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Do you immediately sharpen a new Spyderco?

Post by Doc Dan »

I’ve heard some people say they re-sharpened and new Spyderco as soon as they get it to remove the factory edge. I never do this. Perhaps I’m lazy. I keep the factory edge on as long as possible unless I start experiencing problems. Well I don’t mind sharpening knives I don’t have time to sit down and just do that for no reason. How many of you like to sharpen your new knives as soon as you get them?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TkoK83Spy

Re: Do you immediately sharpen a new Spyderco?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I don't really sharpen them, but I'll give them a couple passes on the UF stones and the strop. They don't really NEED it most of the time, but I just like to I guess.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Nope. Never. I'm not an edge junky. They are all plenty sharp out of the factory for my needs. :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Not me.
I will reprofile if the edge is not fine enough. I usually don't have a problem because of the diamonds. :D
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I’ve never had any issues with a new Spyderco being too dull to use out of box. I’m usually impressed by how sharp they are out of box and don’t feel the need to sharpen them right away. I will usually use the factory edge until it needs to be sharpened as well. Definitely never felt the need to reprofile an edge out of box.

:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not as a general rule. However, out of the ones I use, I've had one folder and a couple of the Kitchen Sharps that failed the thumbnail test and got sharpened immediately.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

I'd only resharpen a brand new knife if the factory edge was bad (uneven grind or just plain dull out of the box). That's never happened with a Spyderco, although it has with some other brands.

I view sharpening knives like any other chore (washing the car, cleaning the house, etc.) -- yes, it needs to be done occasionally, but it's not something I'm going to do until it's actually needed. One benefit of owning multiple knives is I can batch things up and resharpen half a dozen at the same time. But I'm not an edge junky and I don't sharpen knives for "fun".
carrot

Post by carrot »

Nope. Spydercos are the only brand I've bought that consistently come with a great edge out of the box.

I'll give the factory edge a shot until it stops feeling keen and then I'll try stropping it first before going to brown or white stones.

I don't sharpen for fun and enjoy knives for their engineering and design so sharpening is only to upkeep knives that have seen use.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Of my couple dozen new :spyder: , only one came in pretty dull. But otherwise no, I don't sharpen them.

Some I put through hard cutting on day one in order to test the ergonomics and edge retention. If that is the case, then yes, they get sharpened, or at least touched up the same day.
Peter
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Really just depends on how sharp it came. I have had a few that I was less happy with their initial sharpness, and others (like my recent Caribbean) that I was quite impressed with how sharp they were so I leave them alone. There is something to be debated over with "factory edge bevel edge retention" though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Plain edge knife? Yes. They're ground thicker than I like.

Serrated edge knife? No, they come pretty thin from the factory.

That's one reason I buy more SE these days than I did in the past. They come ground thin the way I like, while any plain edge knife I buy I expect to spend 45 minutes to an hour putting my kind of edge on it.

They come perfectly sharp from Spyderco, but I know I can get better performance dropping the angle a bit. If I'm going to spend $200 on a pocket knife, I want to get the best performance I can out of it.
:unicorn
Monty

Post by Monty »

I typically use them until they're dull... then buy another model to try.
Redman5006

Post by Redman5006 »

I do not sharpen a new knife. I might run it over the ultra fine SM rods to remove a bur if I see one. I do not consider myself an edge junkie like most, but I am a little obsessed with always having a very sharp edge.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I used to reprofile everything, but after seeing how quickly my s110v Military wore down in 1 year of frequent sharpening, ive decided to sacrifice some performance to extend the lifetime of the blade. I'll usually strop factory edges a few times before reprofiling. This is also especially true on models i am testing out. After some use, if it turns out that I don't feel I'll be using the model all that much, I'd rather sell it with most of the factory grind remaining.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I don't. My habit is to give any new knife a few swipes on a strop just to make sure the edge is clean.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Always.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:23 am
Nope. Never. I'm not an edge junky. They are all plenty sharp out of the factory for my needs. :D
Ditto here.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:59 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:23 am
Ditto here.
Thrice ditto'd
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

I do usually resharpen like with this Cruwear N5 I just got it had a micro bevel and I don't like them. So yeah generally I do.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

If I want to see what the steel can do it is a must, you can get different behaviors out of different steels at different finishes at the edge not to mention different Geometries and levels of apex formation.

If you're just trying squeeze every drop of value out of the knife I can understand just using it as is until it no longer cuts and honing and Stropping back. However nothing beats just setting up a nice edge to meet you're personal tastes best.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives