Any well worn knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Any well worn knives?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I think it's also referring to the edges not being reprofiled to a less degree than factory.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:22 am
Vivi wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:10 pm
I'm surprised at how many factory edge grind lines are visible in this thread.

May I ask: What do you mean by that exaxtly?

That you can see by looking at the edge on a pic wether it is still the factory edge or has been sharpened several times already? (Cause it's a bit less perfectly straight then for example)?
Yep. Factory edges have a distinctive look. A lot of knives that get posted here, like the what knife is in your pocket thread, its easy to spot. A lot of times you'll see factory edged knives sharpened at a more obtuse angle because the owner uses the 20 degree settings, so there's a polished microbevel and factory grind lines visible above that.

Just stood out to me in a thread specifically about users :p
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:13 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:22 am
Vivi wrote:

May I ask: What do you mean by that exaxtly?

That you can see by looking at the edge on a pic wether it is still the factory edge or has been sharpened several times already? (Cause it's a bit less perfectly straight then for example)?
Yep. Factory edges have a distinctive look. A lot of knives that get posted here, like the what knife is in your pocket thread, its easy to spot. A lot of times you'll see factory edged knives sharpened at a more obtuse angle because the owner uses the 20 degree settings, so there's a polished microbevel and factory grind lines visible above that.

Just stood out to me in a thread specifically about users :p

Thanks for explaining! So you did not mean, that those factory-edge knives haven´t been sharpened AT ALL, but just seldom enough that the factory edge is not fully sharpened away... how many average sharpening processes would it take roughly estimated till this is the case in your opinion?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

How do you get a polished bevel when applying a micro at the 20 setting? I use the 20° setting to (at least what I thought) apply a microbevel?
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:30 am
MMGRenovations wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:05 am

Is this really a huge chip that you then sharpened (a bit like a serration) in the middle of the edge? Can't quite determine it on my phone...
It's a giant chip - any story to go with that MMGRenovations?
vivi

Post by vivi »

GiftedMisfit wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:25 am
How do you get a polished bevel when applying a micro at the 20 setting? I use the 20° setting to (at least what I thought) apply a microbevel?
You don't, unless the bevel was factory sharpened at 20 degrees or greater.

There's nothing wrong with sharpening this way if you're happy with the results, but taking the edges down produces superior cutting performance for my uses.

I remove the factory bevel on all my knives because I give them a thinner edge bevel than Spyderco does. Some of them I'll sharpen at 20 degrees microbevel just like you, but behind that microbevel they're 10 degrees per side instead of 15-19.

I generally don't polish my bevels because it has no effect on performance so it's a waste of time in my eyes, but looking at my knives you typically won't see any traces of a factory edge. Generally I leave the bevels with whatever finish my lowest grit stone gives them, then I polish the microbevel up to 600-1000 grit. Some I leave a little toothier.

Police 4:

Serrated Pacific Salt (Same one posing with the firesteel):

The scratch pattern on these knives is very distinct compared to the vertically oriented lines of a factory applied edge.
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:42 am
GiftedMisfit wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:25 am
You don't, unless the bevel was factory sharpened at 20 degrees or greater.

There's nothing wrong with sharpening this way if you're happy with the results, but taking the edges down produces superior cutting performance for my uses.

I remove the factory bevel on all my knives because I give them a thinner edge bevel than Spyderco does. Some of them I'll sharpen at 20 degrees microbevel just like you, but behind that microbevel they're 10 degrees per side instead of 15-19.

I generally don't polish my bevels because it has no effect on performance so it's a waste of time in my eyes, but looking at my knives you typically won't see any traces of a factory edge. Generally I leave the bevels with whatever finish my lowest grit stone gives them, then I polish the microbevel up to 600-1000 grit. Some I leave a little toothier.

Police 4:

Serrated Pacific Salt (Same one posing with the firesteel):

The scratch pattern on these knives is very distinct compared to the vertically oriented lines of a factory applied edge.
Thanks for the answer. Felt silly asking, but my brain doesn't always wrap around the question at hand. I understand now though. Well answered, thanks Vivi
MMGRenovations

Post by MMGRenovations »

Wartstein wrote:
MMGRenovations wrote:

Is this really a huge chip that you then sharpened (a bit like a serration) in the middle of the edge? Can't quite determine it on my phone...
It’s actually my dads knife. He accidentally it a live 110v wire. So I sharpened the burn into a serration and now he uses it to strip wire.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

MMGRenovations wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:25 am
Wartstein wrote:
MMGRenovations wrote:

It’s actually my dads knife. He accidentally it a live 110v wire. So I sharpened the burn into a serration and now he uses it to strip wire.

VERY cool!! :)

EDIT: And glad, that your dad is well obviously!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

7 year titanium wear:

http://imgur.com/a/FIuCnxO

GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

That's a nice spyderco lol
bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

GiftedMisfit wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:29 pm
That's a nice spyderco lol
In my defense, I'm operating within the guardrails of the original post. OP doesn't restrict this exercise to Spyderco knives only.
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Just messin anywho. Nice knife.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Vivi wrote:
A few, for Vivi... ;)

Superblue Stretch when it was still beautiful, after a very flat convex and micro

Original M4 Millie

Sage 2 and Cruwear Manix

Sage 2 is one of my oldest Spydies and probably the most used of all time, with the Stretch not far behind.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:02 am
Vivi wrote:
A few, for Vivi... ;)
Here here Brock, to Vivi! :D

The Ladybug I dropped straight on it’s tip on rough concrete and can’t see the value in grinding down more spine.

The Military has a chip in the blade when I slipped cutting a can of cat food in half.

The Sprig lost about 0.010” off the tip slamming into a hardwood chopping board and has a couple of chips in the blade because some fish have hard heads and don’t like being brain spiked.

The Tasman I nearly lost once when I dropped it in the surf and wave action buried it. :eek:

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

52100 today
52100 today
Not very worn but it is loved!
vivi

Post by vivi »

marty_bill_ wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:11 am
20190816_080924-1440x1920.jpg
Not very worn but it is loved!
*zooms in on the edge and starts examining the grind lines*

I kid, I kid :D
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:00 am
Brock O Lee wrote:
Vivi wrote:
A few, for Vivi... ;)
Here here Brock, to Vivi! :D

The Ladybug I dropped straight on it’s tip on rough concrete and can’t see the value in grinding down more spine.

The Military has a chip in the blade when I slipped cutting a can of cat food in half.

The Sprig lost about 0.010” off the tip slamming into a hardwood chopping board and has a couple of chips in the blade because some fish have hard heads and don’t like being brain spiked.

The Tasman I nearly lost once when I dropped it in the surf and wave action buried it. :eek:

That ladybug tip is how my Tasman Salt looks. One of these days I'll get around to fixing it. Probably whenever I finish reprofiling it to 15 degrees.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Vivi wrote:
A few, for Vivi... ;)

Superblue Stretch when it was still beautiful, after a very flat convex and micro

Original M4 Millie

Sage 2 and Cruwear Manix

Sage 2 is one of my oldest Spydies and probably the most used of all time, with the Stretch not far behind.
That M4 Millie is a thing of beauty! It reminds me of my old CPMD2 Military, but not so amateur looking.

Here's two pictures of it I found online. Funny comparing it to that Police 4 edge I posted :p

Later on I polished up the bevel and cleaned it up, but I always kept that extreme angle.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Poked around the forum a bit for some better photos of my old EDC Military. Came up with some more pictutes to add:

204P Millie:

ZDP Caly Jr with a convex regrind. You can see where the edge chipped trying to whittle through knotty wood prior to adding a microbevel.

ZDP Endura converted to a scandi grind

UKPK, original run

I used to be a lot more extreme with my edge angles. 10dps with a 15dps microbevel is pretty tame compared to these.