Factory edge poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Are factory edge grind lines visible on the Spyderco(s) in your pocket?

Yes, factory grind lines are visible on the edge bevel.
33%
No, they are completely sharpened away.
36%
I have multiples on me, some have them, some don't.
26%
Other.
5%

Total votes: 85

vivi

Factory edge poll

Post by vivi »

Take any Spydercos in your pocket out. Open them up. Can you see factory edge grind lines on the bevel?
:unicorn
Evil D

Re: Factory edge poll

Post by Evil D »

Voted yes because in the last couple years I've gotten lazy thanks to the Sharpmaker and I just micro bevel everything until it's thick enough to reprofile. I used to take a new knife and immediately reprofile it on my Edge Pro but it has been years since I bothered. They really should call it the Lazymaker.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

No grind lines here, I always sharpen my brand new knives before use, they never come sharp enough for my liking. I don't care which manufacturer it is, if they use belts on their edges, it's never as good as a proper hand sharpening.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Yep, my new Emerson Dragonfly.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I just leave them alone. I haven't had a dull spyderco yet, and just touch them up on the sharpmaker. No problems here!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I have enough that I rotate regularly and really don't need to reprofile, just daily touch up...for now. I have reprofiled my BBS Para 3 to 15dps and am now doing the same with my OD Green S30V PM2 as we speak...which is going much quicker than that M390!

Cut through some plastic strapping the other day and slammed the edge into a screw head that was sticking up out of the crate that I didn't notice. Rolled it pretty bad so decided screw it, let's slim it down a bit.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
anycal

Post by anycal »

Some are completely sharpened away, whether I reprofiled the knife, or just kept touching it up until they disappeared.

Some have partial lines. The knives have been touched up between fine and ultra-fine :spyder: stones. I can see some lines and smooth spots along the entire edge.

Handful of knives have not been used enough to be sharpened. Maybe a few passes on a strop. Not enough to put a dent into the factory edge.

If one has enough knives, there is bound to be a mix of edges.
Peter
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Endela SE in my pocket -- hasn't been used enough to warrant more than the occasional light touch up.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I answered no instinctively, but forgot I'm carrying a new pac salt.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Cruwear Millie and AEB-L urban in my pockets. The Millie is used and the edge was taken tighter than 15dps. I’ve only stropped it. I reprofiled the Urban to 15dps. It needed it.

I do still have factory grind lines on several knives. But those in frequent rotation have all been reprofiled to 15dps.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I voted option 3 because I have the St. Nick's Lil Native in my pocket, and I haven't touched the edge yet. In sharp contradistinction, my CPM Cru-Wear Delica, which is also in my pocket, has been reprofiled and no factory edge grinds are visible.

I generally leave the factory edge alone until it begins to dull. Then I take it to my Hapstone for a full reprofile, often lowering the angle. I never put a microbevel on a factory edge.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Nothing in my pocket right now, but there's seven different Spydies in a dump tray right next to me. These knives range from years old to a few days old, so I voted some do some don't.
This is a funny thread. :D
-Nick :bug-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Police4 I’ve been carrying for the past week has no grind lines, but they may not have been pronounced in the first place.

I have not reprofiled it since getting it over a year ago, as I have been inclined to do with new S30V, ever since having a problem with chips on two factory-edges.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Well yeah every Spydie I've ever looked at I've seen the grind lines. They are usually there along with a micro bevel. Most are pretty sharp and I use them. But it's not to long until I sharpen them. I don't do micro bevels so those are removed when I sharpen. So I voted yes.
jdw

Post by jdw »

No problems here. The recent Urban aside, I believe the best edges come out of Maniago though.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

If the edge angle is around 15° when I get it, it stays until it needs sharpening.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Some of mine still have grind lines and some don't because I've reprofiled and polished the bevel. Why do you ask?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:35 pm
Why do you ask?
Good question Pat. :cool:

There’ve been a few sly chops at members who post clean unsharpened knives of late so it’ll be interesting to see how this thread pans out. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:13 pm
Yep, my new Emerson Dragonfly.
Ha, same here. Carrying my emerson dragonfly today, too, for the first time although I got it when it first came out. First time I've worn pants that were sturdy enough to deploy it- I've been in quick dry shorts all summer. ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

"other"

as in; some factory edges are good enough that I leave them unmolested until the knife needs its first serious sharpening, *then* I re-bevel, completely removing the original edge and running it right to the plunge line.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...