Collectors Club Question?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Collectors Club Question?

Post by jdw »

I recently bought a couple of knives from Country Knives. I have spoken with them and they are great people. My question is do retailers have their own CC membership? Both were European issue only and showed up with CC numbers. Just kind of wondering. Thanks folks.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
SG89

Re: Collectors Club Question?

Post by SG89 »

Yes sorta. I believe it's an individual that purchases the collector club membership but they just so happen to be a dealer as well. New Graham does this too. I'm sure RadioactiveSpyder can give you more info if he chimes in.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My Elmax Urban, a British Blades exclusive, came from Country Knives with a CC# 113V. I’d rather not have CC#s.

I suppose I’m just the kind of buyer CK banks on: desperate afi who must have a knife now rare and will tolerate MSRP and adornments for the privilege.

And, indeed, I’m glad to have this Urban.

I conclude from my transaction that members of the Collector’s Club get a shot at not only sprints but also exclusives. Am I right?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Many of the well-known dealers out there offer a few CC knives in their inventory along with the unmarked ones. This could be that one of the owners is a CC member themself (like possibly Brian at Country Knives) or another private customer had assigned that dealer as their primary vendor through which they received their CC knives and now said person no longer is the CC (but the dealer still gets and sells those knives).

I am NOT an “official” member of the CC although I have first dibs on any 087 knives that NGK sells, which comes from a long-standing (and pricey) agreement with them that I buy a large percentage of new offerings and the rest they release into the wild with their main stock. I do not get certificates of authenticity usually (I’m sure NGK has the stack). Like Country Knives and their CC 113 knives, NGK has at least 3 CC numbers headed their way each shipment and at least 2 of those 3 CC numbers are accounted for. I think the Deacon may also receive his 043s from them, but I guess I never asked!

I don’t think anyone has NGK’s CC 167 since I used to get those from time to time before I asked them to start sending 087s (which was also unclaimed at the time). I will add that NGK did me a huge favor with our agreement but I do my best to purchase at least 80% of new offerings every year. It’s not the typical setup for “true” CC members but since I have a great number of 087s, I often do refer to myself as CC member 087 (cause I put my money where my mouth is). Hope that helps!? Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Thanks for the insight.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
jdw

Post by jdw »

Thank you. I really learned something.
--Wovoka
jdw

Post by jdw »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:15 am
My Elmax Urban, a British Blades exclusive, came from Country Knives with a CC# 113V. I’d rather not have CC#s.

I suppose I’m just the kind of buyer CK banks on: desperate afi who must have a knife now rare and will tolerate MSRP and adornments for the privilege.

And, indeed, I’m glad to have this Urban.

I conclude from my transaction that members of the Collector’s Club get a shot at not only sprints but also exclusives. Am I right?
The numbers that I received were both CC #112V. It appears that they have at least a couple of memberships. And the same here. I overpaid but I am glad to have the opportunity.
--Wovoka