Oxycodone warning

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Mastiff

Re: Oxycodone warning

Post by The Mastiff »

And, Joe what did your doctor give you after surgery?
Vicodin? Tylenol 3 w/codeine?
The first time they gave me big yellow generic vicodin 10mg with 500 mg tylenol. 3 Days worth. I ran out long before I stopped needing them. That was a very painful surgery.
What type surgery were they?
Complete shoulder rebuild including cutting off the clavicle ( I think that is it's name) bone and then cutting away and repairing the damage to the rotator and other stuff in there. I'm not sure on names of shoulder parts. The bone had deteriorated to a knife edge and had sliced the stuff up. That needed a second surgery months later to clean up things as well as get rid of bone spurs that had developed since surgery. I got to see a photo of the bone that was cut off and sent for biopsy. I still have copies of all the surgical reports somewhere around here.

About two years later I had to get the other shoulder done the same way but that one wasn't as bad off to begin with as it had been caught sooner. Perhaps that is why all the subsequent surgeries with the same surgeon I only had the smaller, less powerful vicodin at the same 3 day supply. I stress that they told me to call if I needed more pain meds but I didn't. At that point whatever I was lacking in pain control was my fault for not speaking up.

On Tramadol: I was given a few by a doctor as samples back when they could still do that. That is how I knew what they were when in the last 6 months of his life I was giving Finn the mastiff tramadols for his hip problems. They worked for him and got him walking better. He would ask for meds in the way a dog will ask an observant owner for anything if I forgot and went too long between doses. Not having insurance for my dogs meds showed me how expensive that stuff could be. I was spending $500 a month on his meds, shots and special stuff the last year of his life. He had abscesses that didn't heal and I had to either keep him on antibiotics ( 3 times a day) daily or get one $300 injection per month. Without the antibiotics he would develop fevers then begin throwing up . At that stage he still did well and was happy so I didn't want to euthanize him just because he was expensive. I know some that would have but for me quality of life not expense was always my deciding factor with my pets. I believe the Tramadol was a bit over $100 per month for Finn.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:30 pm
And, Joe what did your doctor give you after surgery?
Vicodin? Tylenol 3 w/codeine?
The first time they gave me big yellow generic vicodin 10mg with 500 mg tylenol. 3 Days worth. I ran out long before I stopped needing them. That was a very painful surgery.
What type surgery were they?
Complete shoulder rebuild including cutting off the clavicle ( I think that is it's name) bone and then cutting away and repairing the damage to the rotator and other stuff in there. I'm not sure on names of shoulder parts. The bone had deteriorated to a knife edge and had sliced the stuff up. That needed a second surgery months later to clean up things as well as get rid of bone spurs that had developed since surgery. I got to see a photo of the bone that was cut off and sent for biopsy. I still have copies of all the surgical reports somewhere around here.

About two years later I had to get the other shoulder done the same way but that one wasn't as bad off to begin with as it had been caught sooner. Perhaps that is why all the subsequent surgeries with the same surgeon I only had the smaller, less powerful vicodin at the same 3 day supply. I stress that they told me to call if I needed more pain meds but I didn't. At that point whatever I was lacking in pain control was my fault for not speaking up.

On Tramadol: I was given a few by a doctor as samples back when they could still do that. That is how I knew what they were when in the last 6 months of his life I was giving Finn the mastiff tramadols for his hip problems. They worked for him and got him walking better. He would ask for meds in the way a dog will ask an observant owner for anything if I forgot and went too long between doses. Not having insurance for my dogs meds showed me how expensive that stuff could be. I was spending $500 a month on his meds, shots and special stuff the last year of his life. He had abscesses that didn't heal and I had to either keep him on antibiotics ( 3 times a day) daily or get one $300 injection per month. Without the antibiotics he would develop fevers then begin throwing up . At that stage he still did well and was happy so I didn't want to euthanize him just because he was expensive. I know some that would have but for me quality of life not expense was always my deciding factor with my pets. I believe the Tramadol was a bit over $100 per month for Finn.
Fortunately for me, even as badly broken as my shoulder is, no surgery. at first he was talking about total shoulder replacement completely rebuilding everything with one of those fake shoulders or whatever it is. However, my last x-ray showed that I was healing up much better than he expected and he said that I only have to do rehab and not have any surgery whatsoever. I was so relieved. I’ve been in so much pain and I didn’t want to have to go through more. And I certainly didn’t want to take anymore of that nasty oxycodone .

I know what you mean about wanting to give your best friend a good quality of life. Good dogs become part of the family and I hate to really see him suffer. I would’ve done the same thing. At least up to a point.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Tramadol is child's play compared to the stronger opiates (fentanyl, oxymorphone, hydromorohone, oxycodone, methadone, etc). It wasn't even a controlled substance until semi-recently. But it is definitely abused and can yield similar withdrawal effects to other opiates. The amount of people abusing it is rising, and I think this partially due to the reputation it developed over time. Since it wasn't a controlled substance, people thought it wasn't as dangerous. Some companies also have policies where they allow someone to work while taking a prescription for tramadol but not other opiates. This leads to more pills being prescribed (as patients inform their doctor that receiving a prescription for anything stronger than Tramadol will result in loss of work), and thus more abuse.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Well you are quite a bit correct. Tramadol is the number one opioid killer. A lot of it is that it was marketed as a safer and milder alternative but in reality it’s much stronger than coding. It’s somewhere between codeine and oxycodone in reality. It is highly addictive and also some people are allergic to some of the other ingredients. People got addicted or got used to it and abused it and many people died. Some went on to heroin.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Well you are quite a bit correct. Tramadol is the number one opioid killer. A lot of it is that it was marketed as a safer and milder alternative but in reality it’s much stronger than coding. It’s somewhere between codeine and oxycodone in reality. It is highly addictive and also some people are allergic to some of the other ingredients. People got addicted or got used to it and abused it and many people died. Some went on to heroin.
I never heard about that so thanks for letting us know. I thought I was pretty much up to date on common meds . I did know that " Old Dirty Bastard" had OD'd or poisoned himself on ultram but didn't think much about it. Just about any meds can kill you if you try hard enough. I knew a girl that killed herself with over the counter Benadryl and some countries have started limiting the package size / sales amounts of tylenol because of poisonings with that.

Being the libertarian I am I will never agree that it's the governments business telling people what they can and can't put in their bodies including poisons like the above. Having to pay a doctor to get permission just to then buy a medicine seems like one of the greatest legal scams ever invented to me. I don't buy the whole " people are too stupid and will die and worse yet kill someone else" argument behind it either. It's prohibition plain and simple and that does not work. It creates enough crime and money to undermine whole countries and fills our prisons with people costing more billions and for a fact throwing people into the system for drug use helps no one.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Mastiff wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:48 am
I never heard about that so thanks for letting us know. I thought I was pretty much up to date on common meds . I did know that " Old Dirty Bastard" had OD'd or poisoned himself on ultram but didn't think much about it. Just about any meds can kill you if you try hard enough. I knew a girl that killed herself with over the counter Benadryl and some countries have started limiting the package size / sales amounts of tylenol because of poisonings with that.

Being the libertarian I am I will never agree that it's the governments business telling people what they can and can't put in their bodies including poisons like the above. Having to pay a doctor to get permission just to then buy a medicine seems like one of the greatest legal scams ever invented to me. I don't buy the whole " people are too stupid and will die and worse yet kill someone else" argument behind it either. It's prohibition plain and simple and that does not work. It creates enough crime and money to undermine whole countries and fills our prisons with people costing more billions and for a fact throwing people into the system for drug use helps no one.

Joe,

The Tylenol thing was mainly their Sinus Headache and Pain due to people making Meth out of it.

However I don't take regular Tylenol or Advil for that matter, I use Aleve personally.

As far as the whole drug thing goes people can't even handle booze for the most part, never really could. It's still one the main killers out of everything, either the moron drinker and or the people they kill from drunk driving and or killing them while drunk.

My logic is if they can't handle booze then there is no reason to legalize anything else, just too many idiots out there and we have to think about their innocent victims that they will produce. I understand your logic, but mine is why make the problem worse than it already is by adding to it?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes they may use Tylenol to make deadly deadly drugs meth or other drugs. However, Tylenol can be deadly even if you don’t make meth out of it. You can’t overdose on it boy it is a very painful death. Your kidneys shut down and you die. As far as drinking goes some people do drink your responsibly and there is no question of that . However some people get addicted to alcohol and can’t help it because they have to drink in order to function. Alcohol addiction is much worse than codeine addiction. You can actually die from the one drawls from alcohol addiction if you’re not careful.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:49 pm
Yes they may use Tylenol to make deadly deadly drugs meth or other drugs. However, Tylenol can be deadly even if you don’t make meth out of it. You can’t overdose on it boy it is a very painful death. Your kidneys shut down and you die. As far as drinking goes some people do drink your responsibly and there is no question of that . However some people get addicted to alcohol and can’t help it because they have to drink in order to function. Alcohol addiction is much worse than codeine addiction. You can actually die from the one drawls from alcohol addiction if you’re not careful.

I am aware of the many issues with booze, there is nothing positive about it....

I did hear about those issues with Tylenol, one would have to take a lot of it though to OD on it.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I did hear about those issues with Tylenol, one would have to take a lot of it though to OD on it.
It's not so much an overdose as a poisoning that kills by destroying the kidney and liver functions. It is a bad way to go with the next three or so weeks ( if that long) with your body stewing in it's own poisons and waste and no way to clean and filter it out. I have heard of teenagers using Tylenol to kill themselves thinking they will go out like an overdose they saw on TV but instead they suffer for a relatively long time.
The Tylenol thing was mainly their Sinus Headache and Pain due to people making Meth out of it
It must have had Sudafed as an ingredient then because that is what people were making meth out of. Where Sudafed is still legal there are limits on how much you can buy and there is a computer database that keeps track of sales and if someone tries to buy too much they get their name sent to the DEA and or local police. ( My Ex works in a pharmacy)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Mastiff wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:52 pm
It's not so much an overdose as a poisoning that kills by destroying the kidney and liver functions. It is a bad way to go with the next three or so weeks ( if that long) with your body stewing in it's own poisons and waste and no way to clean and filter it out. I have heard of teenagers using Tylenol to kill themselves thinking they will go out like an overdose they saw on TV but instead they suffer for a relatively long time.
The Tylenol thing was mainly their Sinus Headache and Pain due to people making Meth out of it
It must have had Sudafed as an ingredient then because that is what people were making meth out of. Where Sudafed is still legal there are limits on how much you can buy and there is a computer database that keeps track of sales and if someone tries to buy too much they get their name sent to the DEA and or local police. ( My Ex works in a pharmacy)

Same active ingredients I suppose.

Around the same time frame the Tylenol Sinus and Pain had the same restrictions on it.

Then they changed it some so they couldn't make Meth out of it, they had stopped making it for awhile until they changed it.

The main reason I remember it is because that's what I use and we couldn't get it for a long time. There was an article on it and I called Tylenol about it also.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, it was the Sudafed in the Tylenol.

Drugs are dangerous. Even the most innocuous can be deadly in the right circumstances.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:13 am
Yes, it was the Sudafed in the Tylenol.

Drugs are dangerous. Even the most innocuous can be deadly in the right circumstances.

Yes, they can be.

Did you hear about that OD on ADVIL stuff?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

No, I didn’t. It must have taken a lot.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:16 am
No, I didn’t. It must have taken a lot.
There was a thing awhile back.