POLL: Who´d like to see a knife along the lines of the Caribbean, but with a BACKLOCK?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Caribbean(-like) BACKLOCK knife (edge all the way back to the handle, wide and neutral handle..)?

- No, I am not interested in such a (backlock-) model
32%
- Yes, I´d like to see such a model in linered G10
13%
- yes, I´d like to see such a model in linerless G10
19%
- Yes, I´d like to see such a model in linered FRN
11%
- Yes, I´d like to see such a model in linerless FRN
21%
- Yes, I´d like to see such a model in another handle configuration (specify, if you like)
3%

Total votes: 105

Wartstein

POLL: Who´d like to see a knife along the lines of the Caribbean, but with a BACKLOCK?

Post by Wartstein »

The Caribbean has at least two features, that I find very attracting and that are hard to find in any other Spydie of that size- and price category:

1.) No choil, no Ricasso, edge going all the way back to the handle (great closed-length-to-edge-ratio plus good for very precise work close to the hand in a regular, handfilling grip on the handle)
2.) Very neutral, wide, comfortable and handfilling handle

Plus: Blade shape and size that I personally like the most in my main EDC folders.

As far as I am aware of, there is no model like this coming with a backlock, which I prefer by a lot over the comp. lock (even more so in bigger work knives, meant to be used in harder outdoor tasks, especially with gloves).

I´ll leave it open, which steel such a model would come in, but let´s say LC 200N would be one option for sure.

So: Who´d like to see a knife like the Caribbean, but featuring a backlock? [YOU MAY CHOOSE MORE THAN ONE OPTION]
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PeaceInOurTime

Re: POLL: Who´d like to see a knife along the lines of the Caribbean, but with a BACKLOCK?

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Having never owned or even handled the Caribbean due to the size and compression lock, I'd be interested in the XL version with a backlock and linerless frn. (Though, I don't have a strong opinion either way on liners.)

I would like to see a larger knife without the 50/50 choil. It just doesn't seem necessary...
curlyhairedboy

Re: POLL: Who´d like to see a knife along the lines of the Caribbean, but with a BACKLOCK?

Post by curlyhairedboy »

The caribbean's use case seems to leverage the flow-thru abilities of the compression lock. Plenty of salt models have had a chance to leverage the backlock without issues, but the caribbean might be a different approach for a reason. Still, something like a native chief salt might be what you're looking for?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Caribbean with the same overall shape but with a linerless FRN handle with the bidirectional texture instead of the pattern the G10 uses, plus a back lock, and I'm in.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

1.000,000% YES!! Any of the configurations I would buy, but my preference is a Toxic Green linerless FRN/FRCP Carribean Salt in FFG PE and SE LC200N! These would easily be my most carried/used knives. I love my Tenacious, but I prefer LW backlock Salt knives, so this would be a dream configuration. There needs to be some choil-less LW FRN models in the lineup. I've said many times that a Tenacious LW made in Golden or Seki with a steel like Cruwear or a Salt version would be an amazing knife.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I’m probably the only one, but if the only difference from the Caribbean it’s going to offer is a backlock, it seems like a redundant addition to the current catalog.

With that said though, I could imagine what Evil D described fitting into the catalog pretty seamlessly. Especially after seeing how good the Police 4 in bidirectional FRN looks.
Is there enough room in the Carribean handle for a backlock to fit though? Part of the advantage of the compression lock is how easily it can be implimented into certain designs.
-Nick :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

The caribbean has a brilliant handle, useful blade shape, I love the choil free design, and it uses one of my favorite steels.

If there was a backlock variant, I'd own multiples. The lock is the only thing keeping me from owning them.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:31 am
Is there enough room in the Carribean handle for a backlock to fit though? Part of the advantage of the compression lock is how easily it can be implimented into certain designs.

I'm no engineer but I think there is. The cutout on the tang for the compression lock notch takes up about the same amount of space, it would just be rotated around about 90 degrees so the notch is on top instead of in the back.

I'm really not a big fan of back locks, my interest is more in the FRN grip and simplicity of it and possibly lower cost. I already have two Caribbeans but I'd need a third if this happens. Honestly the biggest issue I can see is possibly making the Pacific obsolete, but I may just be biased there.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:03 am
The caribbean's use case seems to leverage the flow-thru abilities of the compression lock. Plenty of salt models have had a chance to leverage the backlock without issues.
I don't see a benefit in a Salt model personally. If my Pacific Salt gets dirty or has gritty action, I can submerge it in water or blast it out with a pressure washer on low. Or throw it in a dishwasher. If it comes down to it, pop out two screws and you've taken down the knife.

The Pacific would still have its place. Anyone that thinks LC200N is better than H1 across the board is sorely misinformed.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

There is a reason that Backlocks don’t usually have sharpened edge all the way to the handle. They usually use a kick on the ricasso to stop the blade from closing too far. The Centofante is an exception and if you squeeze the blade closed all the way it hits the backspacer which is tolerable because the backspacer is frn. That was a collaboration and I believe Centofante wanted it that way. I don’t think that we will see an in-house design without a kick.

The Caribbean, Polestar and Alcyone are all new models meant to address folks’ desire for more sharpened edge on their blade and they are liner/comp locks and probably for a reason.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
vivi

Post by vivi »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:42 am
There is a reason that Backlocks don’t usually have sharpened edge all the way to the handle. They usually use a kick on the ricasso to stop the blade from closing too far. The Centofante is an exception and if you squeeze the blade closed all the way it hits the backspacer which is tolerable because the backspacer is frn. That was a collaboration and I believe Centofante wanted it that way. I don’t think that we will see an in-house design without a kick.

The Caribbean, Polestar and Alcyone are all new models meant to address folks’ desire for more sharpened edge on their blade and they are liner/comp locks and probably for a reason.
This is a good point, but it's a point made 100% moot by the fact that Spyderco and other companies have engineered lockbacks with internal stop pins. There is no need for a kick with one.

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Very true, the internal stop pin would solve that issue.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
vivi

Post by vivi »

If cost and engineering weren't an issue I'd love to see the cutting edge on choil less backlocks extended, and switch them over to internal stop pins. The Pacific Salt would be even better with another 1/2" of cutting edge. I know one user in particular that could get on board with this idea :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:03 am
....Still, something like a native chief salt might be what you're looking for?
Thanks for your reply, but... no ;)

I really like the design of the Chief (had no chance to actually handle one though), but as said in my op: What I'd want to see transferred to a backlock knife from the Caribbean is specifically the edge going all the way to the handle plus the wide, neutrally shaped handle...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:35 am
If cost and engineering weren't an issue I'd love to see the cutting edge on choil less backlocks extended, and switch them over to internal stop pins. The Pacific Salt would be even better with another 1/2" of cutting edge. I know one user in particular that could get on board with this idea :D

Really? Who on earth could that possibly be?? :D :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:51 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:42 am
This is a good point, but it's a point made 100% moot by the fact that Spyderco and other companies have engineered lockbacks with internal stop pins. There is no need for a kick with one.

Vivi, that's not YOUR Chap??!! :eek:
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Vivi wrote:

I agree, and I know you like H1 and i do too, but I would love a Pacific Salt with FFG LC200N with a full length cutting edge. I'd get both SE and PE versions.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Just as I think not every Spydie model should become a Salt, I don’t think every one should feature a lockback, much as I like that lock.

I’m quite content to let Sal and Eric call the shots. I could say more, but won’t...
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:45 am
Vivi wrote:

I agree, and I know you like H1 and i do too, but I would love a Pacific Salt with FFG LC200N with a full length cutting edge. I'd get both SE and PE versions.
That would be great!! In my case not so much for the LC200N (VG10 would be fine with me), but for ffg and full length edge in essentially an Endura! I still don't have a Pac. Salt, but I figure the handle is at least as good as the Endura 4 handle.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:46 am
Just as I think not every Spydie model should become a Salt, I don’t think every one should feature a lockback, much as I like that lock.

I’m quite content to let Sal and Eric call the shots. I could say more, but won’t...

Not EVERY Spydie model needs a lockback, but at least ONE SINGLE backlock knife in the Endura / Caribbean size class and in a decent steel, but still affordable, should have an edge going all the way back to the handle (and no choil or Ricasso)...