Native Designer

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
justjohn

Native Designer

Post by justjohn »

The designer initials/logo of the Native are conspicuously absent from the blade. This may be the case with other knives also. Is there a reason for this? Please, someone educate me. :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
Genotoxic

Re: Native Designer

Post by Genotoxic »

I believe the designer was Sal, hes also designed a ton of knives he doesn't give himself credit for. Think it comes down to him being an amazingly humble man. Plus Eric and Sal signing blades seems to be a little more recent and the native is an old design.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I know the Lil’ Native has Eric’s signature, I thought he designed the Native as well.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Genotoxic wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:37 am
I believe the designer was Sal, hes also designed a ton of knives he doesn't give himself credit for. Think it comes down to him being an amazingly humble man. Plus Eric and Sal signing blades seems to be a little more recent and the native is an old design.
Yeah. Spydiewiki lists Sal as the designer. I couldn't agree more about Sal being a humble genius. The Military also quickly comes to mind with no sig.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

In house designs did not start getting "maker's marks" until Eric joined the design team. His designs bore his mark and, from that point forward, so have Sal's. IIRC Eric's first was the Dodo, so any in house design prior to that probably won't have a mark.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think that in the case of no maker's mark, we can pretty much assume the the bug is a stand-in for Sal's mark.
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

A big thanks to everyone who helped enlighten me. This forum never ceases to amaze me. :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
Donut

Post by Donut »

I thought I heard that Eric was the person behind the lock improvements of the Native 5. I'm not sure if that qualifies it as an EG/SAL design like the Para 2.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Donut wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:45 pm
I thought I heard that Eric was the person behind the lock improvements of the Native 5. I'm not sure if that qualifies it as an EG/SAL design like the Para 2.
I definitely remember reading a post by Sal from a couple of years ago where he credited Eric (& one or two other people whose names escape me at the moment) with the improvements seen in the Native 5 design. Whether that does qualify it as an "official" Sal/Eric design collaboration, I have no idea, but it is interesting to note that the new-ish Native Chief has both of their maker's marks on it (from what I've seen in pictures--haven't handled it personally).
sal

Post by sal »

Eric, Tom and Doug developed the Native lock along with some of the factory staff like Hristo (a mechnical genius).

We'll begin adding my tag on my designs.

sal
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

The "signature" marks are cool to see, but I appreciate the number of Spyderco pieces that are clearly the result of a lot of collaboration among team members. Sal might be the figurehead, but when I see the bug I know a lot of good people are standing behind it.