Carrying Jumpmaster 2 for Self Defense?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Naperville

Carrying Jumpmaster 2 for Self Defense?

Post by Naperville »

I just started carrying my Jumpmaster 2 for self defense in the evenings when I go out for walks. The town I am in use to have astronomically low numbers for crime, but lately there have been robberies and holdups. I do not want to be out late at night and be taken by surprise.

The H1 steel and razor sharp serrated edges are never going to rust or pit, due to extreme weather or sweat. Sal claims that these serrations are in the high 60's HRC, which makes them quite hard and they should cut through anything worn, Summer or Winter.

I have many knives, but the sheath on the Jumpmaster 2 works great for a quick draw. I have so many knives that require effort beyond the norm to draw. What were these designers thinking?

I was splitting time between several other knives in my collection, I love the CTS-XHP and G-10 on my Les George Galvos Daggers, and the sheath works great, but it feels like a one trick pony....small dagger. If it were the exact same design and 5.5 inches long, well, OK then, sign me up, but it comes in with just a 4 inch blade. The Jumpmaster 2 seems hand-filling, and much larger, but it has just a .5 inch longer blade. I also carried the Winkler Knives II dagger in 80CrV2...nice knife, but there is no hilt and my hand could slide down on the blade if I hit a rib or something hard in a skirmish.

Jumpmaster 2 Specifications:

Blade Length: 4.5"
Cutting Edge: 4"
Overall Length: 9.3"
Blade Thickness: 0.118"
Blade Material: H1
Blade Grind: Hollow
Blade Edge: Serrated
Blade Style: Leaf-Shaped
Handle Material: Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon (FRN)
Sheath: Boltaron G-Clip
Model Number: FB24SBK2
Model Name: Jumpmaster 2
Made in Japan

Marketing Blurb:

"The original Jumpmaster was designed at Ft Bragg by the Jumpmasters I worked with there. It was developed for Military applications." - Sal

The original Jumpmaster knife was developed in close cooperation with the U.S. Army 82nd Airborne Division's Jumpmasters as an emergency cutting tool to free "hung" paratroopers during airborne operations. A distinguished member of Spyderco's Salt Series of knives, its 100% rustproof H1 steel blade and fully serrated SpyderEdge not only made short work of military static lines, they also offered the most impressive edge retention of any knife we’ve ever made.

The Jumpmaster 2 proudly continues that tradition, taking the extreme cutting power of a fully serrated H1 blade and packing it into an all-purpose leaf-shaped profile that offers greater point utility and eagerly tackles all cutting tasks. Like the original, the Jumpmaster 2's nitrogen-based H1 blade is hollow ground and features a full-thickness spine and a skeletonized full tang for an outstanding combination of balance, strength, and light weight. Its injection-molded, fiberglass-reinforced-nylon (FRN) scales include Bi-Directional Texturing that, together with the handle's refined, ergonomic shape, ensure a positive grip in even the most demanding circumstances. To complement its versatile, do-everything spirit, the Jumpmaster 2 comes complete with a snap-fit, custom-molded Boltaron sheath and a versatile G-Clip mount that supports a full range of carry positions.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
bearrowland

Re: Carrying Jumpmaster 2 for Self Defense?

Post by bearrowland »

I say why not? It's definitely got the capability, and the sheath is ideal. Be careful out there just the same!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Let's move this over to General Discussion. ;)

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I wonder how you swim, cut, swing, with that kind of weight on you unless you are very carefully balanced and trained. If you are looking to just jack with someone...there are more options available than a Jumpmaster. Every time a knife SD thread pops up I wonder if people have really looked at a Civilian. If I had to have a knife in my hand in a real life or death situation it is what I would choose.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
vivi

Post by vivi »

jdw wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:51 pm
Every time a knife SD thread pops up I wonder if people have really looked at a Civilian hand gun.
:D

Though if you are going to carry a knife for that role, I think a 4.5"-6" fixed blade is hard to beat.
:unicorn
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Interestingly enough I've recently started grabbing my spyderhawk when me and the wife take our walks. Previously I would grab an random mule off my bench and snap it to my waistband, now however the spyderhawk helps me whack dangling limbs and such away from our path.

As for SD it looks terrifying and I'm sure in an emergency situation it would get the job done but more likely a deterrent. I've been eyeing the jumpmaster for a while and I'm loving spyderedged knives more than I thought I would.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Sounds like a good choice to me. I think it would intimidate the average worthless no-good.

I keep meaning to order a Jumpmaster. I often carry my Street Bowie in exactly the same occasions.

If you can legally (or otherwise) carry a fixed blade in a readily accessible location, I think it is a far better choice than a folder for self defense.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:46 pm
jdw wrote:
Every time a knife SD thread pops up I wonder if people have really looked at a Civilian hand gun.
:D

Though if you are going to carry a knife for that role, I think a 4.5"-6" fixed blade is hard to beat.
He lives in Illinois. I bet its pretty hard to get a CCW permit there.

The first line of defense is always situational awareness. I'd personally be happier with a baseball bat (or a heavy umbrella, actually) than a knife, in that kind of situation.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:57 pm
Sounds like a good choice to me. I think it would intimidate the average worthless no-good.

I keep meaning to order a Jumpmaster. I often carry my Street Bowie in exactly the same occasions.

If you can legally (or otherwise) carry a fixed blade in a readily accessible location, I think it is a far better choice than a folder for self defense.
Yes, fixed over folder for self defense.

In that realm, I like the Street Beat.... I know Sal is going to release it in a new steel within the next 365 days. I feel it in my bones, and if I can I'll snap two of them up, one for me, one for my bro.
Last edited by Naperville on Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:05 pm
He lives in Illinois. I bet its pretty hard to get a CCW permit there.

The first line of defense is always situational awareness. I'd personally be happier with a baseball bat (or a heavy umbrella, actually) than a knife, in that kind of situation.
I cannot carry a baseball bat around. Love my neighbors. Don't want to scare anyone. It's an upper-middle class area, nonetheless, within the last 10 days there have been 3 high profile robberies. I'd CCW but I do not own any firearms.

The Jumpmaster 2 with sheath pops right in the front pocket of my shorts! It's completely effortless to toss it in my pocket to take the dog out for a walk.

As I said, I do not recommend a folder as your goto weapon IF you really think that you are going to need one. I recommend a fixed blade. There are a number of Spyderco knives that are excellent. I choose the Jumpmaster 2 because it is designed as an all season tool. The serrations should make it unstoppable in the Winter when I need to cut through many layers.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

jdw wrote:
I wonder how you swim, cut, swing, with that kind of weight on you unless you are very carefully balanced and trained. If you are looking to just jack with someone...there are more options available than a Jumpmaster. Every time a knife SD thread pops up I wonder if people have really looked at a Civilian. If I had to have a knife in my hand in a real life or death situation it is what I would choose.
The Jumpmaster 2 is extremely light for a decent sized fixed blade coming in at 5.4oz (153g).
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

TazKristi wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:36 pm
Let's move this over to General Discussion. ;)

Kristi
Thanks Kristi!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:01 am
Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:57 pm

Yes, fixed over folder for self defense.

In that realm, I like the Street Beat.... I know Sal is going to release it in a new steel within the next 365 days. I feel it in my bones, and if I can I'll snap two of them up, one for me, one for my bro.
Hope you're right! I planned to order the FRN version sometime before the year is over.

Is CCW an option for you?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:54 am
Hope you're right! I planned to order the FRN version sometime before the year is over.

Is CCW an option for you?
I do not own any firearms right now. I had around 10 of them but I sold them for a job that took me to Silicon Valley on a motorcycle. :D

I'm stationary right now, but work can take me anywhere. Been trying to stay put for a change in the Chicagoland area, but it's difficult to get back to work here. Ughh!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Travel makes any sort of self defense preparation a nightmare.