Caribbean different scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pelagic

Re: Caribbean different scales

Post by Pelagic »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:57 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:17 pm
The wide, bigger handle on the Caribbean makes it for me. There's PLENTY of spydies with smaller, slender handles. Nice to see something that yields a better purchase from a firm grasp.

Lock and pocket clip orientation are not big issues to me. They are not issues that effect me when using a knife, other than the fact that tip up is almost always better for me ergonomically.
just curious if you’ve handled the manix 2 and had the same experience i described above? it fills my hand better than the native (and even the pm2), but is still narrow at the end.
It's excellent given one dimension, I'd prefer a thicker handle, more contoured like the Shaman. Even the manix XL is skinny and has sharp corners to me. Also on the XL I'd prefer no finger choil, that grip feels awkward. The Caribbean is great.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Scales are funny things. I passed on all the red, jade, and foliage green sprint runs.

I really don't care for the Caribbean scales personally, but I'd like to see it available in both the current scales for the boaters and a black version.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:34 am
I'm always surprised at people having issues with pocket space. What else are you folks carrying in your knife pocket? I rarely carry anything else in that picket so my knife can have as much room as it needs, especially if it means the knife will in turn be more comfortable in my hand when I'm using it. I say bring on the 3D contoured pocket bricks and enjoy the ergonomics when in use and leave the knife pocket as only a knife pocket. I'd rather sacrifice a pocket and gain ergonomics than carry a knife just for the sake of it fitting in my pocket better only to find that it sucks to use. But, I guess there is no wrong answer here, my priorities are just different and I prefer hand/use comfort over pocket comfort. If I had it my way every handle would be like the D'Allara 2, whether it's FRN or G10.
I always carry a large phone in my right front pocket.

I usually wear pants / shorts with pockets like this, which is where I clip my folders:

Or I'll clip them to a cargo pocket.

Or, particularly when I'm being active or wearing running shorts, I clip them to my waistband.

It's very rare that I clip them to my RFP, but if I do and I need to grab my phone, I slide my hand in behind the knife, not to the side of it. I have no issues retrieving my large phone with a Manix XL clipped to the same pocket.

With all these different options for carry, to me it feels like people are going out of their way to make this an issue. You can clip a knife IWB, to a cargo pocket, to your back pocket, etc. You can clip a phone case to your waist band or slip it in a cargo pocket. There's no reason you must carry both in the same pocket IMO.

A lot of days I carry a multitool, fixed blade and folder, large flashlight, plus my phone. None of them interfere with each other. Figuring out how to carry just two of those things without them getting in the way isn't very difficult IMO.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

LFP = Phone
RFP = Knife
LRP = Keys tucked in when working, otherwise sometimes a folded bandanna/hankie
RRP = Wallet, also flashlight on the side when working
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

LFP = Phone + Keys (sometimes)
RFP = Knife (Delica) + Wallet
LBP = Nothing
RBP = Nothing

It's also not difficult to wear a tutu, but I'm not going to do it because I don't feel like doing it. I'd rather wear expensive-a$$ jeans, well, because I feel like that too. Finding a spyderco design that works the way I want to carry it isn't all that difficult either.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

LFP = phone
RFP = 2 folders
LRP = keys
RRP = wallet

No problems whatsoever carrying a Military and a cold steel recon 1 in the same pocket.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tonight at work:

LFP - Keys, Fenix UC35 clipped, pocket sized UV flashlight
RFP - LG V20
LRP - Nothing
RRP - Wallet
L Cargo Pocket - Leatherman Wave, magazine
R Cargo Pocket - Pacific Salt SE, pen, notepad
Belt - S&W M&P 9mm

Walked about five miles tonight in complete comfort. No issues accessing my phone to mess with emulators on my down time ;)
:unicorn
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What about some hard rubber scales for the Caribbean?
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Tims wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:45 pm
Freediver wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:12 pm
We may have to start a “knives and aloha shirts” thread.

Word is theres a secret sub forum for the colorfully clad. Hushed whispers of secret hand shakes and symbolic blade etchings.

So I’ve heard anyway.
02F207A4-C964-4159-9770-25AEE231AC00.jpeg
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Freediver wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:27 pm
Tims wrote:
Freediver wrote:

Word is theres a secret sub forum for the colorfully clad. Hushed whispers of secret hand shakes and symbolic blade etchings.

So I’ve heard anyway.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
SpyderEdgeForever

Freediver wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:27 pm
Tims wrote:
Freediver wrote:

So I’ve heard anyway.
Wow. Am I seeing things or is that a beautifully-modified Salt 1?
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

That is a beautifully modified Pacific Salt by Brad Southard. I had it done probably around 8 years ago.
SpyderEdgeForever

Free Diver, from your experience in the water, would you say there is any major difference in grippage between G10 and FRN, such as, does one give a better gripping surface in water or not?
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:24 am
Free Diver, from your experience in the water, would you say there is any major difference in grippage between G10 and FRN, such as, does one give a better gripping surface in water or not?
Honestly I have had many FRN Spydercos (Caspian, Pacific Salt, Salt 1, Spyderhawk, Aqua Salt & Rock Salt) underwater and sometimes with neoprene gloves on, but never tried g10. The FRN models have always provided a great grip. I am curious about g10 and will probably eventually get a Caribbean and/or Waterway.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

If the Carribean would have been plain un-machined Peel Ply G10, especially in something befitting a G10 Salt like a semi-translucent neon day glow yellow G10, I would have bough both the PE and SE on day 1. As it stands I have 0 Carribeans. Hoping that one day we will see an exclusive or something with plain old peel ply scales.

An FRN/FRCP Carribean LW is also something I'd be VERY interested in. Even moreso than a different G10 version. Like the Tenacious, I love the blade size, choil-less-ness, ergos, size, etc. of the Carribean. Throw all of that into a LW package with a wire clip and you've got a serious winner.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I still keep dreaming of a Caribbean in Rastafarian colors. I'm surprised that wasn't the choice. Very fitting imo.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:36 pm
I always carry a large phone
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've made peace with the color issue. I rather like the results. I could still do without the flat oval in the middle but I like the machining a lot.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:48 am
I've made peace with the color issue. I rather like the results. I could still do without the flat oval in the middle but I like the machining a lot.

I really must say, that looks fantastic. The color, the blade shape is superb, all those beautiful serrations. Nice work.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:48 am

Looks great! I'd really wish for something like this with a backlock...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)