Small Knife Blues

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pelagic

Re: Small Knife Blues

Post by Pelagic »

Most people don't need large knives. But the people who need them, REALLY need them. Small knives simply cannot do what large knives can. And large knives can virtually always do what a small knife can, just occasionally with less convenience. Practicality is in the eyes of the beholder. Carrying a lil Native or Dragonfly at my job would be about as useful as installing a screen door in a submarine. I appreciate any and all sprints/exclusives Spyderco releases for their larger knives.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
jdw

Post by jdw »

DP
Last edited by jdw on Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
jdw

Post by jdw »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:56 pm
Most people don't need large knives. But the people who need them, REALLY need them. Small knives simply cannot do what large knives can. And large knives can virtually always do what a small knife can, just occasionally with less convenience. Practicality is in the eyes of the beholder. Carrying a lil Native or Dragonfly at my job would be about as useful as installing a screen door in a submarine. I appreciate any and all sprints/exclusives Spyderco releases for their larger knives.
Absolutely. You can always choke down on a larger blade but you can't add more than is there.
--Wovoka
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Still patiently awaiting a Maxamet Military. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

I spent a decade hoping for a Police 3 sprint.

I've spent about a decade hoping for a Manix XL sprint.

Meanwhile there are 20 Para 2 and 3 variants a year it feels like.

I'd like to think hoping for 1 Police or Manix sprint for every 20 Para sprints is a reasonable expectation.

Imagine how you'd feel if the tables were turned? Imagine if the Para 2 only came out in S30V plain edge, with the only other choice being DLC S30V plain edge. That's essentially the status of the Manix XL. It's just as old as the Para 2, and has been run in a grand total of two steels, both of which start and end with SV.

Imagine spending a decade with the Para 3 as your favorite knife, and they only release the BD1N version. That's how it felt with the Police 3.

No one here is trying to say small knives suck. Most people can definitely get by with a 3" blade. But for those of us that prefer larger knives....options are literally 1/50th what they are some models.
:unicorn
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:42 pm
Imagine how you'd feel if the tables were turned? Imagine if the Para 2 only came out in S30V plain edge, with the only other choice being DLC S30V plain edge. That's essentially the status of the Manix XL. It's just as old as the Para 2, and has been run in a grand total of two steels, both of which start and end with SV.
This is exactly the circumstances of a sage 1, my favorite spyderco. You can have it any way you want, as long as it's satin s30v PP cf/g10.
I understand.

...and I would consider a lw chief m4/k390/rex45/etc.
cwoods

Post by cwoods »

Pelagic wrote:
My thoughts as well. Very well stated.
PM2 52100; PM2 K390; Para 3 Rex 45; Stretch 2 V-Toku2
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

We have been hearing the call for more big knives for a few years and I think spyderco has actually answered the call. Of the last few years we have seen the brouwer, lil native, and Mcbee.
But we have also seen...
Drunken 3.5”, s90v
Paysan 3.88” s90v
Chief 4.08” s30v
Shaman 3.58” s30v
Tropen 4” s30v
Hundred pacer 4” xhp
Amalgam 3.8” s30v
Subvert 4.14” s30v
Smock 3.45” s30v
Kapara 3.6” s30v
Ikuchi 3.26” s30v
Caribbean 3.7” lc200n

That’s a lot of new models that I can’t carry legally in many areas around me. I got the BIG knife blues. I still don’t have a regular model in lc200n that I can carry legally (don’t consider tusk normal).
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:42 pm

No one here is trying to say small knives suck. Most people can definitely get by with a 3" blade. But for those of us that prefer larger knives....options are literally 1/50th what they are some models.

I hear you, Vivi. It's a shame that the Endura does not fit your hand. As you know, for me it's a perfect fit, and so at least I own it in VG10 and HAP40, plus had it in ZDP 189 (sold that one).. And some believe the Endura will come in Cruwear also (like recently the Delica).
And some handle variants are available.

So for the Endura there are at least SOME options (though far less than for the relatively "young" Para 3, a knife that is absolutely not for me, not even in the "small knife niche").
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

My smallest Spyderco is a probably the PM2 or Manix 2. I don't see much need for anything smaller than that. My EDC is the Military.

I'm with you, we need something other than small knife sprint runs.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

SF Native wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:39 pm
We have been hearing the call for more big knives for a few years and I think spyderco has actually answered the call. Of the last few years we have seen the brouwer, lil native, and Mcbee.
But we have also seen...
Drunken 3.5”, s90v
Paysan 3.88” s90v
Chief 4.08” s30v
Shaman 3.58” s30v
Tropen 4” s30v
Hundred pacer 4” xhp
Amalgam 3.8” s30v
Subvert 4.14” s30v
Smock 3.45” s30v
Kapara 3.6” s30v
Ikuchi 3.26” s30v
Caribbean 3.7” lc200n

That’s a lot of new models that I can’t carry legally in many areas around me. I got the BIG knife blues. I still don’t have a regular model in lc200n that I can carry legally (don’t consider tusk normal).
There's something wrong when a 3.26" knife is listed as large, lol.

Stuff like the Subvert is cool, but in a thread where we're asking for SPRINTS, it's worth pointing out that's over $300 for S30V.

Over half that list is S30V, and at least a third of those are small to medium knives.

Definitely a problem.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pelagic wrote:

+1
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jdw

Post by jdw »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:35 am
SF Native wrote:
But we have also seen...
Drunken 3.5”, s90v
Paysan 3.88” s90v
Chief 4.08” s30v
Shaman 3.58” s30v
Tropen 4” s30v
Hundred pacer 4” xhp
Amalgam 3.8” s30v
Subvert 4.14” s30v
Smock 3.45” s30v
Kapara 3.6” s30v
Ikuchi 3.26” s30v
Caribbean 3.7” lc200n

Stuff like the Subvert is cool, but in a thread where we're asking for SPRINTS, it's worth pointing out that's over $300 for S30V.

Over half that list is S30V, and at least a third of those are small to medium knives.

Definitely a problem.
Very well stated.
--Wovoka
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Vivi wrote:
SF Native wrote:
But we have also seen...
Drunken 3.5”, s90v
Paysan 3.88” s90v
Chief 4.08” s30v
Shaman 3.58” s30v
Tropen 4” s30v
Hundred pacer 4” xhp
Amalgam 3.8” s30v
Subvert 4.14” s30v
Smock 3.45” s30v
Kapara 3.6” s30v
Ikuchi 3.26” s30v
Caribbean 3.7” lc200n

Definitely a problem.
I agree but in the eyes of **EDITED - TazKristi** pushing these laws, 3.26” will get me thrown in jail. If any of these knives sells well, sprints will follow. The point is that I can’t help you push those sales up and make it more attainable. And spyderco isn’t going to make stuff that won’t sell unless they really have a good reason.
They have provided some good designs. If they don’t work for you. Guess you s.o.l.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I have plenty designs that work for me. I'm just saying more variation in those designs would be cool. Like a single, solitary Police 3 sprint run would have been cool after seeing the Para 3 get 20 variations in half a year. They say sales aren't there but I wonder if its a chicken and egg scenario - sales aren't there because sprints aren't.

I don't have any laws that impede what I choose to carry. If I want to go to work with a glock and street bowie on my hip, no one cares. The difference between a 3" folder and a 4" folder? No one will even notice.
jdw

Post by jdw »

SF Native wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:23 am
Vivi wrote:
SF Native wrote:
But we have also seen...
Drunken 3.5”, s90v
Paysan 3.88” s90v
Chief 4.08” s30v
Shaman 3.58” s30v
Tropen 4” s30v
Hundred pacer 4” xhp
Amalgam 3.8” s30v
Subvert 4.14” s30v
Smock 3.45” s30v
Kapara 3.6” s30v
Ikuchi 3.26” s30v
Caribbean 3.7” lc200n

Definitely a problem.
I agree but in the eyes of **EDITED - TazKristi** pushing these laws, 3.26” will get me thrown in jail. If any of these knives sells well, sprints will follow. The point is that I can’t help you push those sales up and make it more attainable. And spyderco isn’t going to make stuff that won’t sell unless they really have a good reason.
They have provided some good designs. If they don’t work for you. Guess you s.o.l.
In a market as saturated as the knife market is it seems to me that most people either don't like, or can't obtain the models that you mentioned and as opposed to being s.o.l. there are a lot of knife makers out there to fill requests for different models. I happen to be a Spyderco brand loyalist. I would like to be able to purchase a quality large folding knife that is not one of the knives that you listed.

Edit: Except for the Kapara but it isn't really available, along with a few others that you mentioned.
Last edited by jdw on Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Wovoka
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

I think the only larger knives in the running for sprints would be the Native Chief, P4, and Military. And I get tired of hearing people whine about blade length legal issues. I just read about someone whining that the NC was like 4.08 and he wanted it 3.98 or something. For legality. There are so many other small knife options for people. I live where it doesn't matter so I guess I just don't understand these legal issues and how strictly they are enforced. And I'm sorry that it has to be such a big issue for others.
vivi

Post by vivi »

marty_bill_ wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:05 pm
I think the only larger knives in the running for sprints would be the Native Chief, P4, and Military. And I get tired of hearing people whine about blade length legal issues. I just read about someone whining that the NC was like 4.08 and he wanted it 3.98 or something.
It's especially laughable when it'd take all of two minutes to alter with a belt sander, and maybe five minutes with sand paper and elbow grease.

Pretty tough to add blade length.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:50 pm
marty_bill_ wrote:
I think the only larger knives in the running for sprints would be the Native Chief, P4, and Military. And I get tired of hearing people whine about blade length legal issues. I just read about someone whining that the NC was like 4.08 and he wanted it 3.98 or something.
It's especially laughable when it'd take all of two minutes to alter with a belt sander, and maybe five minutes with sand paper and elbow grease.

I was thinking the same way. I'm halfway surprised more people don't do this. My s110v Military is approaching pm2 size from all the use and sharpening. And aside from it being in need of a regrind, i prefer it to a new pm2. Modifying blades is easy and can be useful.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:01 pm
Vivi wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:50 pm
marty_bill_ wrote:

I was thinking the same way. I'm halfway surprised more people don't do this. My s110v Military is approaching pm2 size from all the use and sharpening. And aside from it being in need of a regrind, i prefer it to a new pm2. Modifying blades is easy and can be useful.
There's a subset of knife users that seem to think modifying a knife is taboo. I've even seen folks on here post stuff like "I have faith the engineers at Spyderco know there stuff, so why would I change the edge angle on my knife?"