Help with next purchase

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
danielmayo

Help with next purchase

Post by danielmayo »

I need some help in trying to navigate all the models. I carry a knife every day. I started with cheap Kershaws and others then got a Para 2 in black G10. I lost it. Bought another. Lost it. Then decided to try a Benchmade Bugout. This was all over a few years so I'm not that bad... Well, I am not near as happy with the BM as the Spyderco, it just feels cheaper but it's a very good size. I feel the Para 2 is a little big.

What should I be looking at? I think I want the same steel as the old Para 2 I had (S30V). I did find an earth brown one with S35VN - is this a better version? I definitely want G10. What about the Native Cheif even though its a different steel. I'm not married to S30V, I just like it so I'm sure I would be happy with similar steel that's suggested.

I really use this for everyday things and I have a Salt 2 for saltwater use.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Help with next purchase

Post by Doc Dan »

Do you want to stay with the same blade length? Kapara , Shaman, smock, and a lot more. Frn ... the Endela.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I think you might enjoy the Para 3! If you like the Paramilitary 2 but feel like it is a little too big, the Para 3 could be the perfect option for you. There are a number of g10 options and a lightweight FRN model available.

The Chief is bigger than the Paramilitary 2, so if you want something smaller than the PM2, I would look elsewhere. The Native 5 is the shorter version of the Chief, that may pique your interest? The Native 5 is also available in a number of handle options.
-Nick :bug-red
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:29 am
I think you might enjoy the Para 3! If you like the Paramilitary 2 but feel like it is a little too big, the Para 3 could be the perfect option for you. There are a number of g10 options and a lightweight FRN model available.
If you enjoy the compression lock the Sage 5, and Lil Native are good options as well.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

If you feel like the PM2 was a little big, but enjoyed the knife overall...why not try one of the various G10 Para 3's that are out there, or one of the knives from the Sage series?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Colorodo

Post by Colorodo »

Native 5 in Cruwear.
danielmayo

Post by danielmayo »

Sorry, I didn't get notified this was approved. Thanks for approving it!

I keep gravitating to the Para3 but backpedal because of the blade length. Though I don't know why.

The PM2 is perfect in every way for me except I feel its a little big. I actually really like the proportions of the Bugout but the lightweight and FRN feel cheap to me. I wish they would have a baby... I know the Bugout of BM but it's my comparison and first (and last) deviation after going Spyderco.

The PM2 is just so solid feeling and smooth. I really like that. Are any of the others (Sage, Native, etc.) going to give the same feel?

Looking like the Para 3 is it unless some of the others offer the same feel in hand.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I find the Sage 5 to be more comfortable in hand than a Para 3. Depending on how you like how a knife rides in your pocket, the Sage 5 rides much deeper with the wire clip. Both knives are quite similar in size, though the Sage has more of a leaf shape blade.

May I also suggest the UKPK...if Heinnie Haynes still has their exclusive available, I HIGHLY recommend that knife if a non locking knife isn't a big deal to you. It's got an ever so slightly longer blade than a Para 3...but you can't beat the ergos for a knife that size, when it comes to the UKPK. Also has S30V steel and costs around $100-$115 depending on what the exchange rate is.

Resized_20190422_142857.jpeg
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

I'd vote for the Para 3 for you. I finally got 1 incoming from DLT Trading and I'm looking forward to it.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

If you go with the para 3 (which I would also recommend as a smaller g10 version of the knife you already like), then there's currently a brown/satin or brown/dlc version out now in s35vn steel. That's a very similar steel to s30v, but many would argue it's slightly better (slightly tougher than s30v, and just as easy to sharpen).

I will say that I've handled the BM bugout, and I think the scales feel much weaker and cheaper than the frn scales on a spyderco delica, for example. Delicas feel solid and indestructible, imo. So if you're open to trying the spyderco frn, you might look at a delica (or endela or endura if you want longer blades) or even a native 5 lightweight. If g10 is an absolute must, then a native 5 in g10 is also a great option.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
zippifish

Post by zippifish »

Para 3 and a aftermarket deep carry clip from MXG Gear or Lynch makes for a great EDC.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

You might also try the Endela. It has the same blade length as tge PM2 but in a slimmer package. I know it is FRN but there is no, none, no comparison between Benchmade and Spyderco FRN. Spyderco gives you a lot more traction and is warmer feeling in my hand and not hollow.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
araneae

Post by araneae »

Para 3 will serve you well. I prefer the lightweight version.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

You could snag a cruwear native of they haven't sold out. If you don't like it, you can get your money back on eBay. It'll be gone soon.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Endela has a similar blade length but a shorter handle since it doesn’t have the finger choil. Slightly more compact overall. I love the para3, it’s a fantastic size for edc. For weekends I tend to carry a larger knife. Work is a semi restrictive area as far as blade length goes.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

danielmayo wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:13 am
Sorry, I didn't get notified this was approved. Thanks for approving it!

I keep gravitating to the Para3 but backpedal because of the blade length. Though I don't know why.

The PM2 is perfect in every way for me except I feel its a little big. I actually really like the proportions of the Bugout but the lightweight and FRN feel cheap to me. I wish they would have a baby... I know the Bugout of BM but it's my comparison and first (and last) deviation after going Spyderco.

The PM2 is just so solid feeling and smooth. I really like that. Are any of the others (Sage, Native, etc.) going to give the same feel?

Looking like the Para 3 is it unless some of the others offer the same feel in hand.
Take a look at the Sage 5, It has some of the best ergonomics of any knife I have ever held, (It’s S30V) it’s also a beautiful knife IMO. It’s almost identical to the Para 3 in size so it’s not super intimidating which is also important to some people. It really is just a great knife.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
danielmayo

Post by danielmayo »

Thanks all. I buckled and bought a PM2. I'm planning on picking up some of the others maybe used to try them out. Like Para 3, Sage and Native. I don't really like FRN handles for an EDC. I have a Salt 2 and use it in saltwater, appropriately as we live at the beach.

Where is the best place to find them used?