Today I had a HUGE surprise with my Lil'Native... you were so right Doc !

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Today I had a HUGE surprise with my Lil'Native... you were so right Doc !

Post by elena86 »

This morning I received a few large packages and I decided to use my backlock Lil'Native in the opening process. The cardboard was quite thick but when I started to gut those packages the Lil' angry elf went berserk ... and I was blown away ... it just glided through that double corrugated cardboard like nobody's business... the more I was cutting the more I was liking the little sucker. So... I decided to put it to the proof ... enough to say I went to town and cut all sort of materials and even did some food prep and in the end a dangerous thought started to cross my mind: the backlock Lil' Native might put an end to my quest for the perfect urban do-it-all locking folder.It's fast in hand, it fits my hand like a glove, it's comfortable in a multitude of grips and that sturdy sub 2,5 inch blade is perfect for city carry but not only . Will it replace my beloved K390 Urban ? I doubt, but to each his own .... What can I say ... you were so **** right Doc ;) Now, I hope and pray the next Lil'Native sprints and exclusives will not only be in the comp lock variant. I allready dream of a smooth G10 Cruwear Lil'Native ... backlock of course ;) Bring'em :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
p_atrick

Re: Today I had a HUGE surprise with my Lil'Native... you were so right Doc !

Post by p_atrick »

Could somebody compare the Lil'Native and the Dfly with regards to comfort in hand? I know that is a pretty subjective request. I too am looking for the perfect urban carry (2.5" or less). Right now I have the Urban and am happy with it. I always figured my next small knife would be the Wharnie DFly, but all this talk about the Lil'Native has me interested.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:39 am
This morning I received a few large packages and I decided to use my backlock Lil'Native in the opening process. The cardboard was quite thick but when I started to gut those packages the Lil' angry elf went berserk ... and I was blown away ... it just glided through that double corrugated cardboard like nobody's business... the more I was cutting the more I was liking the little sucker. So... I decided to put it to the proof ... enough to say I went to town and cut all sort of materials and even did some food prep and in the end a dangerous thought started to cross my mind: the backlock Lil' Native might put an end to my quest for the perfect urban do-it-all locking folder.It's fast in hand, it fits my hand like a glove, it's comfortable in a multitude of grips and that sturdy sub 2,5 inch blade is perfect for city carry but not only . Will it replace my beloved K390 Urban ? I doubt, but to each his own .... What can I say ... you were so **** right Doc ;) Now, I hope and pray the next Lil'Native sprints and exclusives will not only be in the comp lock variant. I allready dream of a smooth G10 Cruwear Lil'Native ... backlock of course ;) Bring'em :eek:
Yeah, for non locking the k390 Urban is king. But that Lil Native is much better than I thought it would ever be. Fir a locking pocket knife it is a great choice.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

p_atrick wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:50 am
Could somebody compare the Lil'Native and the Dfly with regards to comfort in hand? I know that is a pretty subjective request. I too am looking for the perfect urban carry (2.5" or less). Right now I have the Urban and am happy with it. I always figured my next small knife would be the Wharnie DFly, but all this talk about the Lil'Native has me interested.
It depends on your hands. I am ok with the DF and I have 2x hands. But the Lil Native fits better and is more hand filling. It is thicker and heavier than th DF.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:58 am
p_atrick wrote:
It depends on your hands. I am ok with the DF and I have 2x hands. But the Lil Native fits better and is more hand filling. It is thicker and heavier than th DF.

I have medium hands but I feel the same ... Lil'Native is indeed more hand filling and it's more comfortable in a multitude of grips... at least for me. When I choke it in advanced saber grip is just ... perfect for my hand... it feels so relaxing... I never thought it would feel so ergonomic :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

p_atrick wrote:
To my "meaty" paws the Dfly is just usable where as the lil native feels solidy planted in hand.
-Turbo
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it.
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

p_atrick wrote:
well.. I only tried both briefly in the store, but I can say that the L'il Native does fill the hand a bit better. The DF was ok, and was comfortable, but not quite as a hand filling grip. The handle profile on the L'il Native just seemed a better grip.. Now that's simply my take. you're mileage may vary..
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
jdw

Post by jdw »

I carry small knives when appropriate. Lil Native just killed the Dfly for me.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Here is my Lil Native next to the similar sized Cat.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Marius? Didn't you recently state that the LIl' Native was too thick behind the edge for you?

Just giving you a hard time. I'm glad to hear it worked well for you
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:51 am
Marius? Didn't you recently state that the LIl' Native was too thick behind the edge for you?

I still do and that's why I am so amazed :eek: Maybe I was just in a good mood ;) I still wish they ground them thinner behind the edge ...
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

elena86 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:10 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:51 am

I still do and that's why I am so amazed :eek: Maybe I was just in a good mood ;) I still wish they ground them thinner behind the edge ...
Haha! I get it! I like thin too. I'm fine with a little thicker though. Even at .022" BTE the Lil' Native zipped right through a bunch of shipping boxes we had in our recycling bin. It kind of surprised me because I expected the short blade to slip out of the cut easily. That didn't happen like I experience with the Native 5. Not sure why. Maybe I was just more focused due to the short blade length.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
araneae

Post by araneae »

I find the d'fly more comfortable in hand. The Lil native is more substantial, but the comp lock feels a bit awkward on such a small frame. It's also the only knife where I feel Spyderco put on nearly unusable jimping; it should be moved forward just before the thumb hole. It's only usable when not using the choil, which I feel is an odd grip.
The pocket clip is also firm like a bear trap. I have the back lock version too which feels a bit heavier/heftier and also needs jimping IMO.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

I love mine. I usually carry the regular native or lately the salt native, but the lil native is also a favorite.

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

It is so funny, but the native 5 is not my favorite knife in this size range. But I really do like the lil native quite a bit.

Somehow the N5 doesn’t fit my hand very well. At least as compared to a Delica.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

p_atrick wrote:
I have both so I’ll chime in. I MUCH prefer the Lil’ Native to the Dragonfly. I actually dislike the grip on the Dragonfly enough that when the Lil’ Native LW comes out, I’m probably gonna sell/gift my Dragonfly and I won’t look back! Reasons being the lack of the pointy hump on the Lil’ Native means I can place my thumb wherever I want on the top of the knife without issue. The bigger more glaring issue with the Dragonfly however lies in its deeply curved underside, my fingers don’t fit well at all. My middle and ring fingers either have a big gap between them and the handle, or when gripped tightly my fingers end up digging into my palm. The Lil’ Native just fills your hand, and when you grab it with your finger in the choil it just feels like it is supposed to be in your hand. It and the Manix are two knives that I enjoy the act of just gripping the knife because it feels so good.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

What I would love is the backlock with foliage green G10 like the DF has.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:19 am
It is so funny, but the native 5 is not my favorite knife in this size range. But I really do like the lil native quite a bit.

Somehow the N5 doesn’t fit my hand very well. At least as compared to a Delica.
I have similar feelings about the Native 5. It feels like it wants to force my hand to grip it in a certain way, more than any other knife I own.

I am becoming sort of interested in the lil Native for a smaller knife for possible areas with greater blade length restrictions.

IIRC, there were some people saying that the lil Native's tip didn't go deep enough into the handle when closed. Is that still the case?

Jim
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Ez556 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:25 pm

I have both so I’ll chime in. I MUCH prefer the Lil’ Native to the Dragonfly. I actually dislike the grip on the Dragonfly enough that when the Lil’ Native LW comes out, I’m probably gonna sell/gift my Dragonfly and I won’t look back! Reasons being the lack of the pointy hump on the Lil’ Native means I can place my thumb wherever I want on the top of the knife without issue. The bigger more glaring issue with the Dragonfly however lies in its deeply curved underside, my fingers don’t fit well at all. My middle and ring fingers either have a big gap between them and the handle, or when gripped tightly my fingers end up digging into my palm. The Lil’ Native just fills your hand, and when you grab it with your finger in the choil it just feels like it is supposed to be in your hand. It and the Manix are two knives that I enjoy the act of just gripping the knife because it feels so good.
Though I was the only one I did not care for the dfly handle
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut