Long-time lurker, first time poster...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zuludelta

Long-time lurker, first time poster...

Post by zuludelta »

Hey all, long-time lurker, first-time poster here. Finally decided to register & post on the forum, primarily to publicly share my appreciation for the work of the Glessers and everyone at Spyderco. I use knives every day in my job (I work in a warehouse and cut a lot of cardboard, pallet straps, pallet wrapping, and synthetic rope) and I can personally vouch for the effectiveness, quality, and utility of the Spyderco knives that I own. And I know it might sound a bit silly and maybe overly materialistic, but I also derive some pleasure and personal satisfaction in using a tool that I know has been thoughtfully designed and created with premium materials.

Anyway, apropos of nothing, here's a list of my current work knife rotation (there's no official blade length restriction where I live, but I stick to 3-inch-or-shorter blades so as not to attract unwanted attention when using my knife at work):
  • Native 5 Lightweight Combo Edge, CPM-S35VN (the Native 5 is currently my favourite Spyderco folder design, along with the Dragonfly 2)
  • Delica 4 Combo Edge, VG-10
  • Salt 2 Spyder Edge, H1
  • Para 3 Lightweight, CTS-BD1N
  • Alcyone, CTS-BD1
  • Byrd Knives Crow 2, CTS-BD1
Sharp Guy

Re: Long-time lurker, first time poster...

Post by Sharp Guy »

Welcome to the group zuludelta!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum!

Hope you'll share some of your thoughts and experiences, especially since you obviously really are USING knives frequently... :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jdw

Post by jdw »

Welcome. I lurked long before I joined the forum. Glad you're here!
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Welcome! Some wonderful folks here glad you can join us.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Welcome aboard!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Redman5006

Post by Redman5006 »

Welcome to the group. I too was a lurker before joining. Your daily use of knives are exact to mine. I work in a warehouse as well. Hard to beat these knives.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum zuludelta!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Welcome :D Good to have a combo edge fan on board.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
foofie

Post by foofie »

Out from the shadows. Welcome!
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Welcome, nice choices!
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Welcome!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Welcome, indeed!
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Now to address some specific responses:
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:57 am
Hope you'll share some of your thoughts and experiences, especially since you obviously really are USING knives frequently... :)
Thank you... although I suppose any and all experiences I share with you folks will fall under the "anecdotal evidence" and "single case study" rubrics and should be taken with a pinch of salt. Which brings me to the next comment...
ZrowsN1s wrote:Welcome :D Good to have a combo edge fan on board.
Yes, combo edge and full-length Spyder Edge blades are very, very useful in my specific warehouse work context. The heavy-duty polyester straps used to secure heavy pallet loads are not only very tough, they can also be very slick. I normally cut them with a pull cut utilizing the heel of the blade for maximum power and serrations help the blade find very firm purchase on the strap, making it so much easier (and safer) to initiate the cutting motion. While I can also do these pull cuts with a plain edge blade, I've occasionally had it happen where if I don't have the blade at the proper angle, it can slide off the strap. This doesn't stop me from mixing in some plain edge blades in my work knife rotation, though, just to keep things interesting :D . And of course, for "EDC use", I tend to carry a larger variety of plain edge blades (mostly smaller knives like the Dragonfly 2, the Cat, and the Chaparral).
Kyle8734

Post by Kyle8734 »

Welcome
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Welcome, I've been doing this forum for a little over a year and I love it! Things I always look forward to:

-throwback Thursday
-pic of the week
-what's in ur pocket
-exclusive madness lol, and I mean inSANITY hah
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Welcome to the Forum. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Redman5006 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:59 am
Your daily use of knives are exact to mine. I work in a warehouse as well. Hard to beat these knives.
Working in a fast-paced, high-throughput warehouse can be very taxing some days (part of the human cost of living in a society where gross, unthinking consumption is king). And it may sound silly to some, but on some of those tough work days, one of the little things that helps me get through a shift is the confidence that whatever else the day throws at me, at least the design & build quality of the work knife I rely on won't let me down.
Redman5006

Post by Redman5006 »

zuludelta wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:52 am
Redman5006 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:59 am
Your daily use of knives are exact to mine. I work in a warehouse as well. Hard to beat these knives.
Working in a fast-paced, high-throughput warehouse can be very taxing some days (part of the human cost of living in a society where gross, unthinking consumption is king). And it may sound silly to some, but on some of those tough work days, one of the little things that helps me get through a shift is the confidence that whatever else the day throws at me, at least the design & build quality of the work knife I rely on won't let me down.
Exactly! My only issue is when someone wants to borrow my knife. Lol!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Welcome, and yes, Natives are great. Great use and example of serration use. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.