So when does this forum start speculating about the upcoming discontinued models???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cycleguy

So when does this forum start speculating about the upcoming discontinued models???

Post by cycleguy »

I suspect a long term member usually starts a thread like this sometime in the near future so just inquiring as I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
SG89

Re: So when does this forum start speculating about the upcoming discontinued models???

Post by SG89 »

No go ahead!
Link for last year's for reference
viewtopic.php?t=76171

My predictions:
Rhino
Squarehead Lightweight
Police 4
Endura titanium Damascus
Delica titanium damascus
Brouwer
Native 5 fluted carbon fiber
Dragonfly tattoo
Rescue 3
Tropen
Hanan
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
awa54

Re: So when does this forum start speculating about the upcoming discontinued models???

Post by awa54 »

Ahhh the sad taste of regret for all of those Spydies that never quite made it to your buy list and now they're gone!

It would be sad if the Rhino had such a short career, same for the CF Native... I hope you're wrong on those Spydergirl ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Important to note that just because a model gets put on the discontinued list doesn't mean its a poor seller. It could have a limited production contract like with some collaborators
Spydergirl88
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i actually have a brouwer on my to get list.
i know the design may not be 100% great but it is a good size, steel, lock, and looks good. plus no hole hump. lol
it would be cool for spyderco to do atleast one sprint for the brouwer. something like 20cv.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:05 am
No go ahead!
viewtopic.php?t=76171

My predictions:
Rhino
Squarehead Lightweight
Police 4
Endura titanium Damascus
Delica titanium damascus
Brouwer
Dragonfly tattoo
Rescue 3
Tropen
Hanan
I'll add the Lil' Sub-Hilt. If so, and they go on close out, I'd probably have to grab one.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:05 am
No go ahead!
viewtopic.php?t=76171

My predictions:
Rhino
Squarehead Lightweight
Police 4
Endura titanium Damascus
Delica titanium damascus
Brouwer
Dragonfly tattoo
Rescue 3
Tropen
Hanan
I'm wondering if the g10 dragonfly will go, too. Price was too steep for me, but I'd for sure grab one on clearance.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Elshauno

Post by Elshauno »

I don't see the Rescue 3 getting discontinued since they recently released the FFG version
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Elshauno wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:33 am
I don't see the Rescue 3 getting discontinued since they recently released the FFG version
I haven't seen a ffg version do you have a pic or link
?
Spydergirl88
Monty

Post by Monty »

I'm wondering about the serrated Shaman's success. I never see anyone posting about them on forums, instagram, etc. Seems like if you want a large serrated folder, the Caribbean is the winner. Having said that, I suppose they're more likely to scale back production than discontinue the serrated version.
Elshauno

Post by Elshauno »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:36 am
Elshauno wrote:
?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Elshauno wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:37 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:36 am
Elshauno wrote:
?
Well that's embarrassing for me because I actually used to own that model and totally forgot it was ffg lol
Spydergirl88
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

I'd guess the Opus will be on the list this year. I'm suprised it didn't get cut last year. It doesn't seem like the Opus gets any mentions here on the forum, so I doubt it's a top selling model. I really like the Opus design, but it's expensive enough that it never quite made it into the top of my "to buy" list.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I don't even want to speculate! The discontinued list thread is always my least favorite of the year! :(

There is pretty much always at least one model I want but never managed to pick up that makes the list each year. I'm still trying to catch up on so many models.

I need to buy less sprints and start focusing more on the production models I want.
-Nick :bug-red
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

This is the first year that I'm likely not going to be really sad about whatever is discontinued. I think SG is likely correct on her predictions. The last few years saw some great models discontinued. I think this year will see a lot of the flops, redundancies, and uninteresting models getting let go.

I am wondering if the Proficient will be dropped due to the release of the Zoomer. If so, maybe my wallet will finally feel okay buying it.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Every year I guess and I’m always wrong.
Let me just say that if the serrata, schempp bowie, opus, or subvert is discontinued, than I will make an effort to pick those up.
foofie

Post by foofie »

I would add the Q ball. That said, I have always been curious and might pick one up when it goes on the list.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Hundred Pacer, Subvert, Tropen, Opus, Zoomer, Serrata
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

It gets me excited, I spent quite a bit last year. Some got sold/traded, some were given as gifts and a select few were kept as users.

The Mantra was last years star, I also still have and will probably keep the Junction.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

So does Spyderco typically announce discontinued models from the year all at once? If so, when and how?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.