Delicafly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tims

Re: Delicafly

Post by Tims »

I’m a fan of the choil, I’d love the delica/endela/endura to get a choil but would prefer to see the blade fill the handle.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tims wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:23 am
I’m a fan of the choil, I’d love the delica/endela/endura to get a choil but would prefer to see the blade fill the handle.
Yes on the handle-filling part (though on the Endura (other than on Delica /Endela) the blade fills the handle quite ok)

On the choil: I´ve said it many times before: The Ricasso of Endura/Endela/Delica is not really less comfortable or less safe to use than a dedicated choil (I do it all the time, in many tasks, with cold or wet or sweaty fingers - no problem at all!)
Plus, with the Ricasso (other than with a dedicated choil) your hand is close to the edge when NOT choking up...
Just my personal opinion of course. But there are SOO (too?) many "choiled" Spydies already...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tims

Post by Tims »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:39 am
Tims wrote:
Yes on the handle-filling part (though on the Endura (other than on Delica /Endela) the blade fills the handle quite ok)

On the choil: I´ve said it many times before: The Ricasso of Endura/Endela/Delica is not really less comfortable or less safe to use than a dedicated choil (I do it all the time, in many tasks, with cold or wet or sweaty fingers - no problem at all!)
Plus, with the Ricasso (other than with a dedicated choil) your hand is close to the edge when NOT choking up...
Just my personal opinion of course. But there are SOO (too?) many "choiled" Spydies already...
I have seen you and others mention choking up on the ricasso and I cringe every time :eek:
A ricasso is not a viable alternative to a choil in my opinion. Maybe if I was only whittling matchsticks.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tims wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:23 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tims wrote:

I have seen you and others mention choking up on the ricasso and I cringe every time :eek:
A ricasso is not a viable alternative to a choil in my opinion. Maybe if I was only whittling matchsticks.
Honestly, and without wanting to be offensive in any way: I just don´t get it. :confused:

So may I ask: Did you actually TRY using a knife like the Endura choked up on the Ricasso in various tasks? (And if: Did you really ever hurt yourself??)

One of the few aspects I may call myself quite experienced in the context of this forum is actually USING knives. I did and do that a lot. And, as said, a lot NOT in light duty, controlled "office / urban" tasks. But very often outdoors, with cold or slippery fingers, woodscraft, more "hard use" and so on.
Probably my main, at least yet my second-most-used grip is choked up on the Ricasso, like on the pic below.

NEVER, EVER did I cut or hurt myself WHATSOEVER by doing so.
Most times I put my thumb on the side (not the spine) of the blade (also when not choked up)
My index finger probably presses even more BACK on the front part of the handle than UP on the Ricasso.

And believe it or not: I even choke up on the actual edge of (sharp ,believe me!) knives that have NO Ricasso or choil whatsoever. Also does not cause any problem in most knife-tasks, cause you don´t move your finger back and forth on the egde in a "slicing" motion.

I mean, in medieval times they gripped sharp swords on the edge with bare hands and did strokes with the hilt of the sword...

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tims

Post by Tims »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:38 am
Tims wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Tims wrote:

Honestly, and without wanting to be offensive in any way: I just don´t get it. :confused:

So may I ask: Did you actually TRY using a knife like the Endura choked up on the Ricasso in various tasks? (And if: Did you really ever hurt yourself??)

One of the few aspects I may call myself quite experienced in the context of this forum is actually USING knives. I did and do that a lot. And, as said, a lot NOT in light duty, controlled "office / urban" tasks. But very often outdoors, with cold or slippery fingers, woodscraft, more "hard use" and so on.
Probably my main, at least yet my second-most-used grip is choked up on the Ricasso, like on the pic below.

NEVER, EVER did I cut or hurt myself WHATSOEVER by doing so.
Most times I put my thumb on the side (not the spine) of the blade (also when not choked up)
My index finger probably presses even more BACK on the front part of the handle than UP on the Ricasso.

And believe it or not: I even choke up on the actual edge of (sharp ,believe me!) knives that have NO Ricasso or choil whatsoever. Also does not cause any problem in most knife-tasks, cause you don´t move your finger back and forth on the egde in a "slicing" motion.

I mean, in medieval times they gripped sharp swords on the edge with bare hands and did strokes with the hilt of the sword...

Whatever works for you mate :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tims wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:02 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tims wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

:) Thanks!

But, really, wether I wanted to "convert" you, nor state in any way that your opinion is not valid!

It´s just: I am just really confused and astonished again and again, when people state choking up on the Ricasso of an Endura could be unsafe whatsover.
Just because, as said, I do ot all the time in any task and it does not work only somewhat, but perfectly... :confused:

Sure, one thing I maybe do a bit by putting the thumb (generally) often on the SIDE and not the SPINE of the blade: I perform some kind of pinch grip, that may help.
On the other hand: When choking up on the Ricasso AND putting my thumb on the spine: Also no problem at all...

Some things are just weird... ;)
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:20 am
WHY do "some people prefer small blades with larger handles" would have been the better way to ask.

I find that I can complete almost every EDC task i come across with a blade the size of the Dragonfly. If I’m doing food prep I use a kitchen knife when home or an Opinel I have at my office. If I’m doing hard work at the farm I will bring a bigger folder or if I’m camping I will bring a fixed blade. For my day to day EDC, I will mix up my carry but could truly get by with nothing longer than a Dragonfly.

One specific area that I prefer smaller blades and larger handles is in my carving and whittling knives. I feel that it allows me to have much more control over the tip of my knife and gives me the ability to perform both detailed cuts and power cuts.
Tims

Post by Tims »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:25 am
Tims wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:02 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tims wrote:

:) Thanks!

But, really, wether I wanted to "convert" you, nor state in any way that your opinion is not valid!

It´s just: I am just really confused and astonished again and again, when people state choking up on the Ricasso of an Endura could be unsafe whatsover.
Just because, as said, I do ot all the time in any task and it does not work only somewhat, but perfectly... :confused:

Sure, one thing I maybe do a bit by putting the thumb (generally) often on the SIDE and not the SPINE of the blade: I perform some kind of pinch grip, that may help.
On the other hand: When choking up on the Ricasso AND putting my thumb on the spine: Also no problem at all...

Some things are just weird... ;)

There’s no right or wrong mate, we all have different views of what’s comfortable and acceptable in use. There is what’s doable and what’s optimal though, as evidenced by the very fact we have choils to fuss over.

You might think I’m a choil on everything type of bloke. I’m not. There are just some handle designs that I feel would benefit from a choil.
Similar benefit could be achieved from redesigning the handle finger grooves/ridges. It’s much easier to ask for choils though :)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

So many of these threads can be solved by just buying a cheap belt grinder and going for it. You can make a stubby Delica right now, today. It will take about 5 minutes with an 80 grit belt and a cup of cold water to dip the blade in.
boing

Post by boing »

Spyderco used to (still does?) get a lot of grief because people thought the blades looked "too short" for the handles. I've always liked that, and I think the Delicafly proportions look pretty much spot on. I could even go a little shorter on the blade for laying index finger over the spine to control the depth of box-opening cuts.

I'd buy one, even it didn't have a choil. :)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

zhyla wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:56 am
So many of these threads can be solved by just buying a cheap belt grinder and going for it. You can make a stubby Delica right now, today. It will take about 5 minutes with an 80 grit belt and a cup of cold water to dip the blade in.

Unfortunately, not everyone has the equipment, confidence, skill, or inclination to do that. Besides, it would void the warranty.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:32 am
zhyla wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:56 am

Unfortunately, not everyone has the equipment, confidence, skill, or inclination to do that. Besides, it would void the warranty.

I agree- I probably could do these modifications myself but I would much prefer that a company who specializes in knife manufacturing do this, and I just purchase a model as a production piece.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:32 am
For some mods I would 100% agree. You can do this with a $10 file and some sandpaper to polish the spine up when you're done. There's no real risk involved and no skill required.
T_MAC686 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:15 pm
I agree- I probably could do these modifications myself
You can 100% do this mod yourself. Anyone with a file and hands can do this.
T_MAC686 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:15 pm
I would much prefer that a company who specializes in knife manufacturing do this, and I just purchase a model as a production piece.
Sure, it's always better if you can just buy an inexpensive knife that's exactly what you want. But this particular niche (full size handle, short blade) is rarely served well by production manufacturers or even individual makers. Knives are usually judged partially on how much blade can be squeezed into a handle.
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

zhyla wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:41 pm
Knives are usually judged partially on how much blade can be squeezed into a handle.

I 100% agree with you on this one. It seems the majority of people focus on the blade to handle ratio and prefer knives that are as close to 1:1 as possible. This has never been a major factor for me which is why I was thinking of this concept in the first place.

The same idea of combining two existing models (one with a stubby blade, and one with a longer handle) has been done by a very popular auto knife company and the model seems to do well.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I like the look of it. Not sure how many would sell, but I'd take one.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Has anyone actually put a dragonfly blade on a delica? Just wondering...
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:29 pm

I did for the photo in the first post. It technically functions but there is a lot of slop in the blade and lock bar as things don’t match up correctly. You also have to use the Dragonfly pivot hardware as the Delica’s will not fit through the Dragonfly blade so this adds more play to the pivot area.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I do like the concept of a "longer handle, shorter blade". The Dodo model immediately comes to mind in that respect. That's probably why I don't embrace most short bladed Spyderco models. The Caly Jr is probably one of the few that I actually liked for EDC usage. Especially the original Burgundy handled ZDP-189 version.

Yeah that's one of the main reasons I like the Dodo model so much. Because with a handle that will fit my hand better I find I have a lot more leverage with most cutting jobs.

As far as this proposed DelicaFly??? I think I could embrace it if it were a Hawkbill blade and in full Spyderedge.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

T_MAC686 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:52 pm
lonerider1013 wrote:

I did for the photo in the first post. It technically functions but there is a lot of slop in the blade and lock bar as things don’t match up correctly. You also have to use the Dragonfly pivot hardware as the Delica’s will not fit through the Dragonfly blade so this adds more play to the pivot area.
Wow, I thought it was just a good photoshop! I was actually initially impressed by it and was trying to find out if you started with a photo of you holding a Wharncliffe Dragonfly or a Delica, and then added the handle or the blade based on the shadows. I guess it looked so good because it was real haha!
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

T_MAC686 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:52 pm
lonerider1013 wrote:

I was wondering if that was just edited electronically. Thanks!
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain