The next Endela?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
blades&wrenches

Re: The next Endela?

Post by blades&wrenches »

Monty wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:54 pm
Frozenspyder wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:40 pm
Okay, I'm curious and just have to ask. What would be the advantage of having the serrations in the middle of the blade?
My apologies to the op if I derailed this thread.
No worries, you’re fine.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I'd love a g10 Endela Sprint with a steel upgrade. I know it would be quite expensive, but I think it would be worth it. One of the more exotic Japanese high toughness low alloy steels would be fantastic. SRS-15, HAP5R or even Super Gold.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I said g10, but micarta would also be great. I'm just envisioning the Endela as a solid all around work knife, so giving it a tough, CruWear esque steel and a tougher FEELING scale material makes a lot of sense in my mind.
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

I'm counting on ZDP at some point - I want to pick up an Endela but I have enough VG-10 in the collection. With as many steels as Spyderco offers it can be easy to overlook just how great and rare ZDP is - it's incredible stuff, and it's just not offered anywhere else!
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

HammerHill wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:59 pm
I'm counting on ZDP at some point - I want to pick up an Endela but I have enough VG-10 in the collection. With as many steels as Spyderco offers it can be easy to overlook just how great and rare ZDP is - it's incredible stuff, and it's just not offered anywhere else!
I agree! I bought a ZDP-189 Delica not too long ago. It's good stuff. I've heard Spyderco might have started treating their ZDP softer some years ago, dropped from around 67 to 64. Not sure if that's true or what mines at, but I'd love to see it back up there. An Endela with British Racing Green g10 would be sweet.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Baron Mind wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:36 pm
I'd love a g10 Endela Sprint with a steel upgrade. I know it would be quite expensive, but I think it would be worth it. One of the more exotic Japanese high toughness low alloy steels would be fantastic. SRS-15, HAP5R or even Super Gold.

Or a G10 Endela Cruwear. I know the G10 models are pricey, but if some dealer would run the Endela, Delica, Endura, Dragonfly, Stretch, and Police in TiCN coated Cruwear with something like Blurple G10, I think they would have a winning series. Awesome and tough backlock models with a tough steel and great looks. I'd buy em all.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Baron Mind wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:45 pm

I said g10, but micarta would also be great. I'm just envisioning the Endela as a solid all around work knife, so giving it a tough, CruWear esque steel and a tougher FEELING scale material makes a lot of sense in my mind.

I agree, but no need to go Cruwear-esque when they now are using the real deal in Seki! Bring on the G10 Cruwear exclusives! :D Micarta would be amazing as well.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:23 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:45 am
While I personally prefer FRN, your G10 suggestion for me would truly be the "better PM2" (almost same dimensions)
Do you get a royalty for every Endela sold? :D I originally thought the Endela would be an interesting knife as the Endura doesn't fit my hand quite right. But my priority is on other knives (mostly due to legal restrictions). But when I heard your remark that the Endela is a thinner, lighter PM2, no other comment has piqued my interest more. You have have pretty much single-handedly brought me around on this knife.

EDIT - For the next version, I would like to see the Knife Center exclusive with HAP40 and Pakkawood scales.

Dang, you´ve got me! (25 % of every sold Endela, but don´t tell anyone... :p :p ;) )

But seriously, as much as I obviously love the Endela: If the ENDURA (as you say) literally "doesn´t fit your hand quite right" you really have to try if te Endela will! The difference between the two handles really is quite marginal, tbh. The Endela handle is a bit shorter of course, but that´s nothing you really notice in use. Other than that, it is shaped almost the same as the Endura, just the points between the "finger placements" are a lot less pointy, more mellowed out (the fingergrooves themselves are dimensioned almost exactly the same).
Since the "points" between the finger placements on the ENDURA never bothered me AT ALL, I just can´t tell if the more mellowed out handle of the Endela is a lot better for people who DID mind the "points" on the Endura handle. You´d have to try for yourself (and if, hopefully report back, I am courious... ;) )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Monty wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:53 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:00 am
Monty wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:32 am
My ideal spyderco would be a re-release of the usn knife from years back. A great combination of features already, and were you to upgrade the steel and add g10 scales in the endela size....oh my.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=415

I fully respect your opinion (!) and am glad you like that knife, but honestly: Not for me...

Personally I think the best thing that ever happened to the Endura was, that it finally came in ffg (and not only in sg - though I keep ONE sabre grind Endura) - still plenty strong, and just better for 95 % of knife tasks imho.

The wave feature is nothing I´d need, makes the blade less tall and impairs penetration (-depth), for example when cutting cardboard.

Again, just my 2 c of course! :)
No worries, I'm pretty sure I'm in the smallest of small minorities who wants both a wave and a combo edge, even the production run of the wave/CE Endura was only a year so it couldn't have been much a hit. I'm also interested in Spyderco making a combo edge with serrations in the middle third of the blade instead of the rear... but I don't really anticipate it happening either. I suppose if I could custom order a knife from Spyderco it would be a Waved Endela Salt, G-10, combo edge with middle serrations. I can get pretty close with a serrated Salt and zip ties though :D

I am with you partly, a sabre grind / combo edge Endela would be someting I´d consider, but never my first choice (though I really like my SG / CE Delica for a few, very specific situations!)

Middle serrations are a proposal, I´ve read here before (don´t know if it was you who posted it), and I don´t think it´s a silly idea at all! I am not decided if I´d prefer it over the current pattern of Spyderco combo edges, but it has some strong points going for it imho.

The "Wave" feature though is just not for me. Think the "zip tie" mod (tried this for fun) probably does the same, if one wants the "function" of a "wave" (I personall don´t), WITHOUT having the detriments the regular wave brings with it.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
blades&wrenches

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:49 pm
Baron Mind wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:36 pm

Or a G10 Endela Cruwear. I know the G10 models are pricey, but if some dealer would run the Endela, Delica, Endura, Dragonfly, Stretch, and Police in TiCN coated Cruwear with something like Blurple G10, I think they would have a winning series. Awesome and tough backlock models with a tough steel and great looks. I'd buy em all.
YES! G10/Cruwear Endela FTW!!!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Massdrop SG-2

:D
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Reject

Post by Reject »

With the FRN police model coming out soon, which I think is a great move by Spyderco.

Back when the Police model was introduced, all the Police officers guns were solid steel. The belief was that if you wanted tough and reliability, steel was the only way to go. It was thought that plastic was not up to the job and they were most likely correct back then.

But now; the large majority pistols carried by Police are partly plastic and plastic has proven its strength and reliability. Plus I think Police officers would appreciate the light weight of plastic pistol over the all steel pistols.

I think this is where the Spyderco Police FRN model will shine.

Now every office should have a back up knife. But I can’t see the Rookie making come back in FRN. If it followed the same generational changes of the Police model, it would look much like other Spyderco models in production.

So back to the Endela; how about the next Endela be aimed at being a backup for the Police model. Give it the same setup as the Police; same colour, steel. I’m ok with VG-10, (H-1 would be better, :) LC200N would be superb.) for a knife that is carried every day but not necessarily used every day, stainless steel is the way to go. And if the blade can’t be sharpened with what ever sharpener you can find in the kitchen draw, then it is not going to be a good knife for most officers.

But; :rolleyes: why stop at the Endela?
How about a complete Series (Officer Series? Professional Series?) all the way down the size range.

Police
Endura
Endela
Delica
Dragonfly
Manbug
Ladybug.

Marketed at Police officers. Pick your main knife and a back up or 2 or 3. All with the same manual of arms; a size for all uses and a size for every pocket.
And remember not all Police wear blue.
How much can a Koala bear?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Laminated HAP40 :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
blades&wrenches

elena86 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:48 am
I’d definitely buy one of those too!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

blades&wrenches wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:37 pm
elena86 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:48 am
I’d definitely buy one of those too!

+1
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

An Endela with Zomé Green FRN scales would be an automatic buy for me. I have a Dragonfly & Delica in zomé scales & plan on getting a zomé Endura at some point. I like the zomé scales on the Seki City knives because they impart a distinct cultural & geographical character to the designs (as the zomé dyeing process is a traditional Japanese craft) without adding any significant cost to the production.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I wonder if Cutlery Shoppe will do their orange/black zome exclusive with the Endela. I think there are lots of choices. ZDP seems like a natural extension of the lineup.
rak2

Waiting for colors

Post by rak2 »

Seems Spyderco and Sal have quite a challenge with design/production choices.
They have created so many variations in models/steel/colors in the past that many of us in the customer base might be getting a little spoiled or otherwise have high expectations about being able to get a specific set of features.
Not saying there is anything wrong with an individual having preferences - we all have the right to spend our money the way we wish. Just seems that there are so many possible combinations of features that it must be quite a challenge for Spyderco to decide which feature combinations will be worthwhile.

Having said that - I'll add to the list of those begging for some variations in the Endela.
My preferences:
1 - give us some black screws/rivets
2 - purple frn for me (but will look at some other non-black colors)
3 - black dlc blade would be good.

Sorry, none of these are functional changes,, cosmetic only, but that's what's in my head.

rak2
blades&wrenches

Any word yet on when the next variant will be available?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

K390 ;)