Beards

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
dsvirsky

Re: Beards

Post by dsvirsky »

I've worn a full beard since 1987 and I'll be wearing a beard the day I die. Fortunately, my wife likes the beard (I originally grew it for our wedding).
James Y

Post by James Y »

It's interesting how beard hairs whiten faster than head hairs. At least in my observation.

My older brother has had his beard and moustache, and his long hair, since around 1968-69, and has never been without it since.

Jim
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I notice that sometimes the tip of a few hairs in my beard are gray, but the rest and the part attached to my face is brown...you'd think it would be the other way around. BLOWS MY MIND!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:10 pm
I notice that sometimes the tip of a few hairs in my beard are gray, but the rest and the part attached to my face is brown...you'd think it would be the other way around. BLOWS MY MIND!
That is very interesting!

My hair us naturally black, but I've noticed a small few of my moustache and beard hairs are reddish-brown.

Jim
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

If I remember right, the last time I shaved all of it off was in the summer of 1987. I was pissed when I had to shave off my mustache for basketball in seventh grade.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I had mine down to my stomach a few years ago but shaved it for a job. If it didn't effect work I'd never shave again.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:16 pm
ZZ Top eat your heart out! :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hahhah, for sure! Now THAT'S a beard! :cool:

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:16 pm
ZZ Top indeed! :)

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:07 am
James Y wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:34 am
Bloke wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:44 pm
I’ve never grown a beard in my 58yrs even though I hate shaving.

That said the reason I don’t grow a beard is because I’m a little bloke, 5’-9” and 155lb and I reckon little blokes with beards look like garden gnomes plus I’m way to pretty for a beard. Ah, hahaha! :p
Oh, great, now I feel bad...I'm 5'-9" barefoot. I prefer to think of it as the lower end of average height. :) I train a decent bit (but not like years ago) and weigh 175. Actually, IMO height or size has little to do with how someone looks with a beard. Some people look good with beards and some just don't. I've seen a number of tall/bigger guys that look odd with beards and/or moustaches. It's more about facial structure. In a similar vein, some guys look better with a shaved head than others.

Concerning height but on an unrelated note, my main martial arts teacher is also 5'-9", but until I found that out, I had assumed he was slightly taller and bigger. I came to the realization that the way he carried himself made him seem larger.

Jim
Ah, hahaha!

I think you’re right in all regards Jim. I’ve just never had the inclination towards a beard and I can’t help thinking maintaining a well groomed beard would take more time and effort than just running a razor over my dial in the shower.

On height/size, some of the most dangerous men I’ve met and know are little lean hard working blokes. :)
That's true, Bloke!

Well, I used a clipper on my mustache and beard, taking it down to 1/8". It IS more work to keep facial hair groomed than being clean-shaven. I always forget that. Although I can grow a thick beard, I guess I'm one of those guys who prefers less facial hair. Plus, with longer facial hair, you've gotta be extra mindful when you eat as well as sneeze, lol!

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I find of the current fashion with beards kind of humorous. A lot of the snowflakes like to look like they’re rugged and manly by wearing a beard and it often comes off silly.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

I retired from the Marine Corps in 1995 and quit shaving the same day. I've only been clean shaven twice since then and they were both for major surgeries. I do clean up and shape the bottom about once a month and trim the 'stache once a week. It has been "belly button" long a few times but I prefer it around chest length.

And, like Doc Dan, I laugh at today's scraggly, patchy beards that many try to pass off as a substitute for manliness. I have a beard because I like it...(and I'm kind of homely)...not because it makes me manly.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:43 pm
I find of the current fashion with beards kind of humorous. A lot of the snowflakes like to look like they’re rugged and manly by wearing a beard and it often comes off silly.
I've noticed that, too. I've also seen a number of those types trying to dress like lumberjacks.
OldHoosier62 wrote: I retired from the Marine Corps in 1995 and quit shaving the same day. I've only been clean shaven twice since then and they were both for major surgeries. I do clean up and shape the bottom about once a month and trim the 'stache once a week. It has been "belly button" long a few times but I prefer it around chest length.

And, like Doc Dan, I laugh at today's scraggly, patchy beards that many try to pass off as a substitute for manliness. I have a beard because I like it...(and I'm kind of homely)...not because it makes me manly.
Having a beard can also be fun. IMO, it's good to change things up sometimes. I always inevitably end up shaving it off, until I feel like changing up again.:). I had a full mustache from age 13 or so, and still remember the first time shaving at 14 or 15, and thinking it looked odd, because I'd gotten so used to it being there.

Jim
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

James Y wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:10 pm
Having a beard can also be fun.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
James Y

Post by James Y »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:42 pm
James Y wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:10 pm
Having a beard can also be fun.
:D!!!

Jim
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’ve had a beard for the last three years. I don’t think I’ll ever shave it off, it’s become part of me now.
Josh
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

James Y wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:07 pm
It's interesting how beard hairs whiten faster than head hairs. At least in my observation.

My older brother has had his beard and moustache, and his long hair, since around 1968-69, and has never been without it since.

Jim
Not for me... I only have a few gray whiskers when I grow my beard out and my head is full of gray hair’s
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Doc Dan wrote:
The city kids with their ultra tight pants, flannel's and beards crack me up as well...Probably wouldn't even know how to start a chainsaw or even use a splitting maul!

-Rick
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:12 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
The city kids with their ultra tight pants, flannel's and beards crack me up as well...Probably wouldn't even know how to start a chainsaw or even use a splitting maul!
Or change a flat, oil, spark plugs, or other basic things.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050