Beards

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Beards

Post by James Y »

How many here keep a beard?

Over the past 3+weeks or so, I've grown out my mustache and beard, after several years of preferring clean-shaven. Only the 'stache and the beard on the chin; not the whole face. I'm genetically capable of growing a 'mountain man'-type beard, but prefer not to.

One reason I've temporarily grown it again is because I was reading something online where people were saying that Asian men can't grow beards. I've known some Asian men who could not grow a beard, and some could barely even grow a mustache (some didn't even need to shave), but that does not apply to me, my brother or my late dad. Ours grow in thick and full. I decided to show those people are wrong, even if no one is looking and only I know.:D.

It seems like most guys I see nowadays prefer having various degrees of facial hair. Probably more than at any other time, or at least I'm noticing it more.

I don't know how long I'll keep it this time. Now my beard is salt and pepper, with more salt. My head hair is still mostly black (I'm 56). When I'm clean-shaven, it subtracts at least 15 years off my true age, another reason I haven't kept a beard in a few years. Not sure how long I'll keep it this time.

How do others feel?

Jim
Naperville

Re: Beards

Post by Naperville »

I grow them out for a few months and shave them off. After a while it's nice to take a break, but I only like shaving every other day max.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've been rocking a mustache and beard for a good 7 years now. I keep them fairly tame, trimmed and use beard butter or oil to keep it under control. In the winter months I sometimes grow my beard a bit longer, but typically trim it with a #8 setting on my trimmer (not sure what length that actually is)

I, like you Jim look young for my age. I'm 36 and people typically think I'm anywhere from 25-30. I eat pretty healthy, exercise regularly and just must be blessed with good genes haha. My wife says she never wants to see me without facial hair because she knows I would look young and would make her feel old haha!

She's 35, and gets the same thing as me. People thinking she's 25. This is us, taken a couple months ago.

Resized_20170409_135701_382101788445.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I’ve never grown a beard in my 58yrs even though I hate shaving.

That said the reason I don’t grow a beard is because I’m a little bloke, 5’-9” and 155lb and I reckon little blokes with beards look like garden gnomes plus I’m way to pretty for a beard. Ah, hahaha! :p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:44 pm

That said the reason I don’t grow a beard is because I’m a little bloke, 5’-9” and 155lb and I reckon little blokes with beards look like garden gnomes plus I’m way to pretty for a beard. Ah, hahaha! :p
I guess I must resemble a garden gnome... Could be worse, I suppose...
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Frozenspyder wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:49 pm
Bloke wrote:

Ah, hahaha! :)

Probably not that bad at all Frozen, and without doubt it could certainly be way worse mate. ;)

You a little bloke too?
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:57 pm
Frozenspyder wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:49 pm
Bloke wrote:

Ah, hahaha! :)

Probably not that bad at all Frozen, and without doubt it could certainly be way worse mate. ;)

You a little bloke too?
I'm 5'-9.5" and about 150 lbs. Lots of huge Scandinavian-Americans around here though so I seem downright tiny by comparison.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Frozenspyder wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:03 pm
I'm 5'-9.5" and about 150 lbs. Lots of huge Scandinavian-Americans around here though so I seem downright tiny by comparison.
:cool:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I’ve had a beard for years. Kind of a mustache and chin whiskers. I don’t grow out my beard all over my face because I find it uncomfortable.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:25 pm
I've been rocking a mustache and beard for a good 7 years now. I keep them fairly tame, trimmed and use beard butter or oil to keep it under control. In the winter months I sometimes grow my beard a bit longer, but typically trim it with a #8 setting on my trimmer (not sure what length that actually is)

I, like you Jim look young for my age. I'm 36 and people typically think I'm anywhere from 25-30. I eat pretty healthy, exercise regularly and just must be blessed with good genes haha. My wife says she never wants to see me without facial hair because she knows I would look young and would make her feel old haha!

She's 35, and gets the same thing as me. People thinking she's 25. This is us, taken a couple months ago.

Resized_20170409_135701_382101788445.jpeg
You and your wife both would pass for mid/late 20s. About 5 years ago, a young 24 year old guy was freaked out to find I was 51 at the time; he'd thought I was no older than 31. :). Even within my own family, I've aged the most gracefully; it could be a combination of genes and taking care of myself, similar to you.

Jim
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:44 pm
I’ve had a beard for years. Kind of a mustache and chin whiskers.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Bloke wrote:

Oh, great, now I feel bad...I'm 5'-9" barefoot. I prefer to think of it as the lower end of average height. :) I train a decent bit (but not like years ago) and weigh 175. Actually, IMO height or size has little to do with how someone looks with a beard. Some people look good with beards and some just don't. I've seen a number of tall/bigger guys that look odd with beards and/or moustaches. It's more about facial structure. In a similar vein, some guys look better with a shaved head than others.

Concerning height but on an unrelated note, my main martial arts teacher is also 5'-9", but until I found that out, I had assumed he was slightly taller and bigger. I came to the realization that the way he carried himself made him seem larger. His groomed beard may have also added to the illusion of size.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:44 pm
I’ve had a beard for years. Kind of a mustache and chin whiskers. I don’t grow out my beard all over my face because I find it uncomfortable.
A couple times I grew a full beard (all the way up including the sideburns) and found it felt weird/uncomfortable when sleeping on my side. Now my beard is the style with the moustache that connects down to the chin beard, but that's all. I don't know what the style is called.

Jim
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

James Y wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:34 am
Bloke wrote:

Oh, great, now I feel bad...I'm 5'-9" barefoot. I prefer to think of it as the lower end of average height. :) I train a decent bit (but not like years ago) and weigh 175. Actually, IMO height or size has little to do with how someone looks with a beard. Some people look good with beards and some just don't. I've seen a number of tall/bigger guys that look odd with beards and/or moustaches. It's more about facial structure. In a similar vein, some guys look better with a shaved head than others.

Concerning height but on an unrelated note, my main martial arts teacher is also 5'-9", but until I found that out, I had assumed he was slightly taller and bigger. I came to the realization that the way he carried himself made him seem larger.

Jim
Ah, hahaha!

I think you’re right in all regards Jim. I’ve just never had the inclination towards a beard and I can’t help thinking maintaining a well groomed beard would take more time and effort than just running a razor over my dial in the shower.

On height/size, some of the most dangerous men I’ve met and know are little lean hard working blokes. :)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

In my experience, it’s not whether you like a beard, it’s whether your Mrs likes a beard...
Tims

Post by Tims »

Im 35 and not a very hairy person so still can’t grow a good, strong beard. If I could, I would probably let it grow wild!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:20 am
Mrs likes a beard...
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Hah! Looks familiar....
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Grew my moustache when I was still in high school and have had it continuously for over 50 years. Added a beard shortly after graduation and, with a couple brief exceptions, have had one ever since as well although the style has varied from full to goatee. For the last 10 years or so it,s been more or less like this...

...as for color, my 'stache and chin whiskers are mostly grey. I'm surprised there are still some dark hairs in them, as their first grey hairs showed up about 40 years ago when I was in my 30's. OTOH, the hair on my head is still has very little grey in it, when I let it grow.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

A beard makes me younger and also prettier ... and all this for more than 35 years since I tried a beard for the very first time. :rolleyes:

Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto