Parata Finally

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bbturbodad

Re: Parata Finally

Post by bbturbodad »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:49 am
:p :p You are right of course!! Just three three tries by three different people, and it's correct yet... :D
Team work! :D
-Turbo
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Can we get some pictures? I'm beside myself excited for my local dealer to get this in! I have one specially reserved! :D

Paul,

Where are you at??? Normally I feel like you would be posting some information by now! Thanks for being involved!

Hamilton
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

holeshot wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:30 am
Accutronman wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:06 pm
Mine came today and while I like the knife, it’s impossible to get the clip screw out to change sides. Supposedly, a T-8, but neither screw will budge. Called SFO and they pulled a Parata off the shelf and confirmed it’s way too hard. Mine is going back.
I to experienced the same problem. Did you purchase yours from SFO or from another dealer? I’m debating whether to send mine back to DLT or back to Spyderco for servicing. I could just leave the wire clip in since it’s on the right side for me but I wanted to put an RG clip on. I really do like the knife but for what it cost the clip should come off easier. :(
Sent it back to dealer for refund. He was going to send on to Spyderco for examination.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

archangel wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:44 am
Where are the pictures?! Show us your new beauties!!
I'll take some tonight and put it next to some other knives for comparison of dimensions.
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:47 pm
archangel wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:44 am
Where are the pictures?! Show us your new beauties!!
I'll take some tonight and put it next to some other knives for comparison of dimensions.
Please do!!!

Hamilton
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Let me start by saying that I like the design of the Parata, however I do like the Ouroboros more.

IMHO it’s the price point of this knife that makes it a no go. There are easily ten others Spyderco knives within $15 of the Parata’s price point with better steel and just as, if not more thought provoking designs the Amalgam immediately comes to mind.

Very nice knife though. That’s one of the things I like about Spyderco. They make some unique stuff. :D
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Here are some comparison shots straight off the phone.

There is a Military combo blade, a Cruwear PM2 , a Combo Blade Stretch, a Hunter, the recently released Delica in cruwear, some salt 2's and Pacific Salts, a Hundred pacer and the Native chief as well as the only Benchmade I have ever liked the Nestucca.

Doeswhateveraspidercan

When looking at the stop lock realize it is not just a matter of pulling it up but you have to pull it forward as well. I did figure out how to close it one handed but it is not what I consider safe or practical, one handed opening however is a breeze.

I am well pleased with the retail price I paid and find this to be a substantial piece of engineering without flaws. This will probably not get wide acceptance or purchase due to the incredibly daring design. I find it very useful in the kitchen and think it will make an excellent skinner. The comp lock is very sturdy when engaged.

The handle will fit a wide variety of hand sizes and satisfy those with larger hands.

When holding the knife the best way I can put it is you feel locked in.

My advice buy it because once it is gone I think it will not be so likely to return and later on the secondary market it will be costly.

No true collector should pass up on this opportunity. I would have paid $200.00 for this knife and been pleased.
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:41 pm
When looking at the stop lock realize it is not just a matter of pulling it up but you have to pull it forward as well. I did figure out how to close it one handed but it is not what I consider safe or practical, one handed opening however is a breeze.

I am well pleased with the retail price I paid and find this to be a substantial piece of engineering without flaws. This will probably not get wide acceptance or purchase due to the incredibly daring design. I find it very useful in the kitchen and think it will make an excellent skinner. The comp lock is very sturdy when engaged.

The handle will fit a wide variety of hand sizes and satisfy those with larger hands.

When holding the knife the best way I can put it is you feel locked in.

My advice buy it because once it is gone I think it will not be so likely to return and later on the secondary market it will be costly.

No true collector should pass up on this opportunity. I would have paid $200.00 for this knife and been pleased.
Doeswhateveraspidercan,

Thanks for the pics! And feedback! I was really hoping the stop lock would work one handed! Will still be giving it a try!

Hamilton
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Howdy everyone, sorry to have been absent from the discussion on the Parata for so long, works been super busy lately so my time to engage in the forum has been a little limited.

But, I have had a good amount of time with the Parata, and have gotten to really appreciate the work the Japanese manufacturer put into realizing this version of the stop lock. It’s not super flickable, but it wasn’t meant to be; it was designed to feel more like a back lock than anything else, more consistent force needed to swing the blade but with the same freedom to tune the snap closed/detent strength. Once you break it in, the lock lever can be opened with one thumb, and the blade moves freely, so you can release the lock and ‘fling’ the blade open and shut pretty easily (just be careful).

If anyone has other questions I missed the last few weeks, feel free to ask again, I’ll try and be more available from here on out,
- Paul
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Paul,

Thanks for the feedback! I'm eagerly awaiting mine to be shipped to my local dealer! I've never owned a back lock, just handled them at the stores, so this will somewhat be a first! It's good to have feedback that it will be able to be easily closed one handed once broke in, as this was my hope!

What I'm most stoked on is the weight with it being linerless. I already thought the Sliverax was lightweight, and this is 0.4 oz lighter! When I'm walking around the house in gym shorts, I normally go with the Sliverax, so it looks like the Parata will take it's place.

Thanks for being engaged!

Hamilton
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

About the stop-lock, as distinct from the Parata, I’m not hearing a whole lotta love. So, are there not enough in circulation yet?
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I am surprised more people here are not taking about it. As far as stop lock love goes I love it.

The Stop lock is a neat functional design. The Parata is a very unique and functional design.

Just today I used it in the kitchen and I have to tell you it spreads butter like champ. The tall full bellies blade is exceptional and the handle so nice and secure.

So secure in fact I went to put it down and experienced a moment of feeling trapped. When this knife is in hand it is not slipping out.