Handle Scales Materials

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Handle Scales Materials

Post by TkoK83Spy »

After really looking at the new scales I got my Manix 2, I'm a bit confused. The seller listed them as peel ply...I thought knives like the Smock, also pictured below, we said to be "peel ply carbon fiber" Which to my understanding means a laminate over G10.

When comparing the new scales on the Manix (on the left) and the Smock (on the right) They seem a bit different. The Manix scales look like a solid piece of carbon fiber...which I would have no complaints about! Where as the Smock is clearly a laminated piece of carbon fiber over G10.

Any idea if the Manix scales are indeed peel ply, or actual carbon fiber?

Resized_20190806_193023.jpeg
Resized_20190806_193045.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Re: Handle Scales Materials

Post by Sharp Guy »

"Peel Ply" is the texturing on the outside of the scales.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The term peel ply refers the the texture on the surface of the scales. This is why we also see peel ply G10.

Chances are, your Manix scales are solid carbon fiber with a peel ply texture. The Smock is Laminated carbon fiber/G10 with a peel ply texture.
Last edited by Mushroom on Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Nick :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Thanks for clearing that up guys. I always thought peel ply was the laminate...because it could be peeled off :o Not the actual texture of the material. Don't I feel dumb!

Learn something new every day! Feel free to razz me for my misunderstanding haha :p

-Rick
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

No worries at all! ;) We're all here to learn and usually all eager to help when we can!
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:18 am
Thanks for clearing that up guys. I always thought peel ply was the laminate...because it could be peeled off :o Not the actual texture of the material. Don't I feel dumb!

Learn something new every day! Feel free to razz me for my misunderstanding haha :p

My full respect to anyone, who asks a so called "silly" question! Most likely a huge bunch of other people don't know the answer to it too... don't dare to ask, but are more than glad to read the answer then... ;)

As a matter of fact I myself happened to learn what "peel ply" is only just a few weeks ago from another thread.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Peel ply can make different textures too. They basically apply a textured layer to the top when they make the composite and peel it off after they are done and it leaves the texture it has on the surface of the composite. I believe peel ply actually refers the process as well as the removable part. Not sure though.

I have wondered for a while now what peel ply micarta would be like?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
...Learn something new every day! ..
:) That's a very understandable thing to be unsure about. It's made with a textured layer that gets peeled off near the end of the finishing process. Here's a picture of "course texture" peel-ply mid-peel so that you have a visual reference.

CK
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

Don't feel dumb. I see laminated carbon fiber/g10 referred to as "peel-ply" far more often than I see the term used correctly. Particularly in other forums. It is very easy to pick up the wrong impression.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

I appreciate you asking! I was interested to learn the answer, too. ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

Xplorer wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:09 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
...Learn something new every day! ..
:) That's a very understandable thing to be unsure about. It's made with a textured layer that gets peeled off near the end of the finishing process. Here's a picture of "course texture" peel-ply mid-peel so that you have a visual reference.

CK
A picture is worth a thousand words! Thanks Xplorer!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Makes all of us with Carbon Fiber feel a bit better now doesn't it? I know it made me feel allot better about a year ago. I also thought it to be a Laminate of some sort at first.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:05 pm
Makes all of us with Carbon Fiber feel a bit better now doesn't it? I know it made me feel allot better about a year ago. I also thought it to be a Laminate of some sort at first.
Sure does. Makes that $90 a bit easier to swallow!

-Rick
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

And, to make things even more confusing, the peel-ply CF used by Spyderco appears to have a two layer thing goin on when you look at the cross section. I'm not sure what that is, but I'm sure it tricks many people into thinking it's CF over G-10. In fact I definitely recall several people asking about that. So yes, totally understandable.

Edit: you can even see what I'm referring to in Spy's second pic, on the Manix.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara