The next Endela?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
blades&wrenches

The next Endela?

Post by blades&wrenches »

Any word on the next Endela release? I assume it will be BRG/ZDP-189, but maybe not. The Endela is a home run for me and I’m in desperate need of an upgraded model. That dark grey FRN and Cruwear like on the recent Delica would be something awesome!
sal

Re: The next Endela?

Post by sal »

Hi Blades&wrenches,

Welcome to our forum.

Thanx for the kind words. We don't yet have a plan.

sal
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

After purchasing two of the Cruwear Delicas well, you get my drift......
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:12 pm
Hi Blades&wrenches,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

Hi Sal,

Not even plans for different handle colors on the VG10 model, if I may ask?

In my understanding (could be wrong though of course) that should be quite easy to do, snd I figure many people wait for another color before they buy the next / second Endela... I do for sure, have the SE one (in black of course), but hope/wait for a blue handle before I'll get a PE...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

A Dark Grey Cruwear Endela would be great. Also would love a Foliage Green Saber Ground Combo Edge. And a Toxic Green FFG LC200N Endela Salt. And maybe an Emerson Endela and Endela Wharnie to round out the line... :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
dan31

Post by dan31 »

ZDP-189 would be great for the next Endela.

Between CPM Cruwear, M390 and K390 the Japan models have a long list of buyers waiting to click the buy now button.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:00 pm
A Dark Grey Cruwear Endela would be great. Also would love a Foliage Green Saber Ground Combo Edge. And a Toxic Green FFG LC200N Endela Salt. And maybe an Emerson Endela and Endela Wharnie to round out the line... :D

Endela Wharnie would be cool. For some reason I don´t like whanie-style on longer blades (Endura), but the Endela would be JUST yet short enough for that and for my liking...
If available, the PE Endela I´ll get eventually to accompany my SE one, could very well be a Wharncliff...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

The BRG / ZDP-189 comment got me thinking about what the other standard variants of the Endura and Delica are. Besides just handle colors, the yellow handle with H1 blade Salts are the other standard variant. I think if the Endela was the first of the bright green handle, LC200N blade, Japanese Salts that alone would make it sell well.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

ugaarguy wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:50 am
I think if the Endela was the first of the bright green handle, LC200N blade, Japanese Salts that alone would make it sell well.
i honestly think i would agree. even tho i am more partial to my para 3's but yea i want the lc200n and green scales for all of the salts and new para 3 no sprint.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
blades&wrenches

Post by blades&wrenches »

sal wrote:
Hi Blades&wrenches,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Well if there are no specific plans as of yet, my vote is definitely grey/Cruwear! While we’re tossing ideas around, a full liner G10 version would be pretty sweet as well!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

blades&wrenches wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:07 am
sal wrote:
Hi Blades&wrenches,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
....., a full liner G10 version would be pretty sweet as well!
While I personally prefer FRN, your G10 suggestion for me would truly be the "better PM2" (almost same dimensions)
Monty

Post by Monty »

My ideal spyderco would be a re-release of the usn knife from years back. A great combination of features already, and were you to upgrade the steel and add g10 scales in the endela size....oh my.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=415
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Monty wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:32 am
My ideal spyderco would be a re-release of the usn knife from years back. A great combination of features already, and were you to upgrade the steel and add g10 scales in the endela size....oh my.

I fully respect your opinion (!) and am glad you like that knife, but honestly: Not for me...

Personally I think the best thing that ever happened to the Endura was, that it finally came in ffg (and not only in sg - though I keep ONE sabre grind Endura) - still plenty strong, and just better for 95 % of knife tasks imho.

The wave feature is nothing I´d need, makes the blade less tall and impairs penetration (-depth), for example when cutting cardboard.

Again, just my 2 c of course! :)
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:59 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:00 pm

Endela Wharnie would be cool. For some reason I don´t like whanie-style on longer blades (Endura), but the Endela would be JUST yet short enough for that and for my liking...
If available, the PE Endela I´ll get eventually to accompany my SE one, could very well be a Wharncliff...
A wharnie Endela with blue frn scales would be the perfect knife for me.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:00 am
Monty wrote:

I fully respect your opinion (!) and am glad you like that knife, but honestly: Not for me...

Personally I think the best thing that ever happened to the Endura was, that it finally came in ffg (and not only in sg - though I keep ONE sabre grind Endura) - still plenty strong, and just better for 95 % of knife tasks imho.

The wave feature is nothing I´d need, makes the blade less tall and impairs penetration (-depth), for example when cutting cardboard.

No worries, I'm pretty sure I'm in the smallest of small minorities who wants both a wave and a combo edge, even the production run of the wave/CE Endura was only a year so it couldn't have been much a hit. I'm also interested in Spyderco making a combo edge with serrations in the middle third of the blade instead of the rear... but I don't really anticipate it happening either. I suppose if I could custom order a knife from Spyderco it would be a Waved Endela Salt, G-10, combo edge with middle serrations. I can get pretty close with a serrated Salt and zip ties though :D
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Monty wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:53 am
Wartstein wrote:
Monty wrote:

No worries, I'm pretty sure I'm in the smallest of small minorities who wants both a wave and a combo edge, even the production run of the wave/CE Endura was only a year so it couldn't have been much a hit. I'm also interested in Spyderco making a combo edge with serrations in the middle third of the blade instead of the rear... but I don't really anticipate it happening either. I suppose if I could custom order a knife from Spyderco it would be a Waved Endela Salt, G-10, combo edge with middle serrations. I can get pretty close with a serrated Salt and zip ties though :D

I am with you Monty. I'd love a waved saber ground combo edge in the Delica, Endura, and Endela in either the Toxic Green/TiCN combo or the OD Green/TiCN combo shown below.

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Monty

Post by Monty »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:47 pm
Monty wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:53 am
Wartstein wrote:
Monty wrote:

I am with you Monty. I'd love a waved saber ground combo edge in the Delica, Endura, and Endela in either the Toxic Green/TiCN combo or the OD Green/TiCN combo shown below.

Forgive the horrible editing...

p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:45 am
While I personally prefer FRN, your G10 suggestion for me would truly be the "better PM2" (almost same dimensions)
Do you get a royalty for every Endela sold? :D I originally thought the Endela would be an interesting knife as the Endura doesn't fit my hand quite right. But my priority is on other knives (mostly due to legal restrictions). But when I heard your remark that the Endela is a thinner, lighter PM2, no other comment has piqued my interest more. You have have pretty much single-handedly brought me around on this knife.

EDIT - For the next version, I would like to see the Knife Center exclusive with HAP40 and Pakkawood scales.
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

Okay, I'm curious and just have to ask. What would be the advantage of having the serrations in the middle of the blade?
Monty

Post by Monty »

Frozenspyder wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:40 pm
Okay, I'm curious and just have to ask. What would be the advantage of having the serrations in the middle of the blade?
My apologies to the op if I derailed this thread.

I guess there's a couple theories or reasons for it that have been proposed. The most practical reason to me is that it leaves some PE in the rear for plunge cuts/whittling/detailed work.

ETA This thread explains it better than I can:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38175&start=20