Swick 5 Wharnie in LC200N

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Swick 5 Wharnie in LC200N

Post by Wartstein »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:13 am
W, it sounds like a Mora would be a good choice for you. Inexpensive and well known to be capable of wood processing and fire making. Yes they can break with overzealous batoning. But lots of folks use them without breakage.

Thanks for your advice!

But tbh: Of course I have a Mora, in fact two... ;)

In some scenarios, like the above described, I specifically look for small size (shorter overall than most Moras (the Eldris has a TOO short blade on the other hand), so that I can easily swap the knife from my pack to my pocket (or carry it as a neck knife) should I leave my pack behind or don't carry the pack in a shelter.

Plus, full tang is a must, so the knife can serve as a prybar in emergencies...

So a 3" blade Swick would be perfect!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I should have expected you'd have a Mora or three.... they’re so cheerfully economical and useful! Full tang 3-4” wood blade... that market is saturated and not particularly inexpensive! Mora makes the Garberg, which is full tang, or through-tang that’s not a stick; wide tang under the grip but not exposed, which is actually a good thing in cold climates, yes? It’s “expensive for a Mora” but on the low end of the cost spectrum for that form factor knife. It’s available in stainless or carbon. I’ve been thinking about that one, Mora’s reputation with increased durability would be a fine thing. Spyderco’s O1 Bushcrafter was evidently a very fine knife, but if you’re counting grams for winter hiking I think it would be too heavy.

Have you considered a Spyderco mule? You could put a very minimalist grip (paracord, jute twine, duct tape) on it and have that size range in some pretty great steels. I myself am thinking about the PD#1 which is Carpenter’s version of CPM-CRUWEAR. There are some other steels still available but stock is diminishing and I don’t think the Mule program will continue.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Is the Swick designed specifically with self defense in mind? I thought it was intended to be more utilitarian.
sal

Post by sal »

It does have many utilitarian uses, but the focus is on defense, primarily for women.

sal
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Ok thanks for the info!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:31 am
Vivi wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:21 am
I like to pair my Swick with a larger folder. The Swicks handle most utility work for me aside from food prep.
That would be a good option for me either most of the time.

But there are some specific scenarious, when I need a smaller, but not TOO small fixed blade: One is multi-day-winter mountaineering or ski touring.
There are very primitiv shelters in the mountains, equipped with also very primitive wood stoves for cooking and heating. The stored wood is of minor quality most times, often wet on the outside, and the ovens don´t work very well. So there is a lot of minor batoning to do. No big stuff, just splitting smaller diameter wood to get dry and easily inflammable heating material. As said, it´s a lot of batoning, so a folder is somewhat cumbersome for that, and a small fixed blade better suited.

Additionally I have to really cut down on weight on multi-day- winter-outings, so I bring only ONE knife (no additional folder); plus, I want some emergency mini-prybar, so it has to be a fixed blade anyway

What I want, is a rather sturdy, full (exposed) tang fixed blade, with a 3 " edge (also better for food prep). Good steel (VG10, S30V) around 100 grams in weight, compact in size and in the 100 dollar range. Don´t know if Spyderco offers such a knife... ?!
Enuff is pretty close to what you're looking for. Street Beat would be worth looking at too. The tang isn't exposed on the FRN Street Beat but it's still pretty sturdy. If you could live with a longer blade the Aqua Salt is pretty much bomb proof. The mora suggestion isn't a bad one either, they carry nicely with some custom kydex.

While I like my Swick for this utility work, the deep negative angle and short blade length make it a little awkward for feather sticks etc.
:unicorn
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

Maybe if the Swick 5 is successful, they'll consider bringing back the Caspian or something similar that's a little more utility oriented. I'd be fine with just the Swick though. It looks like it'll be incredibly useful.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Frozenspyder,

Everything depends on demand.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Just got the prototype sheaths from Christina at SheathPro and they are perfect. Especially the TPO (Thumb Push Off). This is a critical design aspect of the model. Actually they're hard to make properly and Christina has it down. If you'll pardon the shameless plug, Christina is my daughter and she's grown up with a hard taskmaster on quality.....me. So she's a bit of a stickler and part of the Spyderco Way. She's been making our sheaths for many years.

Imagine your wife or daughter is walking out to the parking lot to her car. It's dark. She has her hand in her pocket with her finger in the finger ring of the Swick. She can pop the sheath off with one finger and free the blade one handed. 90% of assaults these days are on women. Every day I read about a abduction, disappearance, murder or rape of a women. I think that's bullsh*t and my plan is to arm the women of the world. Think "lioness" not "victim". The model has many other useful features, but my focus is female self protection.

First rule: awareness. avoid dangerous situations.
2nd rule: some type of spray, gel or non lethal spray.
3rd rule: a very sharp claw that cuts like a dragon, cannot easily be removed from the grip. The striking motion is a natural motion and gives one enough time to get away. I do not believe in showing your weapon until it's in use.

At the time of conflict, where the rubber meets the road, seconds and effective tools can make the difference between life and death, in my opinion.

sal
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

Very good to hear, Sal. Tell Christina that we appreciate her hard work. Sheaths are often overlooked in the design of a knife.

I think this Swick is going to be quite popular and I hope to see women buying them and people buying them for the women in their lives. Turning would be victims into lionesses is a very noble goal.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'll see if I can buy two and get the wife to carry one.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Just bumping this thread to put more of the spotlight on the upcoming Swick 5.

This just might be the knife to make me daily-carry a fixed-blade instead of a folder. If I had to describe my ideal EDC fixed-blade, it would be almost exactly like the Swick 5 (it will probably surprise no one here that outside of work, the Introvert is probably my current most-carried folder).
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

So excited for this one! It's my second favorite fixed blade.

If they make a Street Beat in LC200N with either Micarta handles or none like a mule, I would go insane!!!!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
vivi

Post by vivi »

Thought it'd be in reveal 3. Maybe #4?
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I'm hoping it'll be in the next one because this is a very anticipated model for me. I'm interested to see the MSRP.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
sal

Post by sal »

Scheduled for May 2020. Might have helped that poor girl in NY.

sal
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

sal wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:06 pm
Scheduled for May 2020. Might have helped that poor girl in NY.

sal
May will be good. 😍😍
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Ill get one and an ark just to give neck knives a test drive.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Sal, I guess I know the answer, but the scales will be black G10, right?
Just a thought, if this model is designed more towards women self protection, maybe some different colours would be a nice option - not talking about pink, but maybe blue or purple?
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:35 am
Sal, I guess I know the answer, but the scales will be black G10, right?
Just a thought, if this model is designed more towards women self protection, maybe some different colours would be a nice option - not talking about pink, but maybe blue or purple?
Sal said they'd come with thin black g10.

Excited to see this model come out. I see myself carrying it a lot summer 2020.