Removing this bastard lanyard tube?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Raven21

Removing this bastard lanyard tube?

Post by Raven21 »

PM2. I'm trying to completely disassemble because I have some new scales arriving tomorrow. I hear it was a pita so I started a day early. I really dont want to scratch or distort the tube so I would love to know the best way to remove it. Currently the knife is disassembled except for 1 liner sandwiched between the tube and G10. I haven't found a video that has helped too much. Thanks
SG89

Re: Removing this bastard lanyard tube?

Post by SG89 »

I stick the handle of a toothbrush in between the liners to pop the lanyard tube out. It has always worked for me.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

Plastic/nylon prybar after wiggling the G10 around the lanyard tube a little. I have even used a plastic putty knife. It just takes a bit of time.
Username827

Post by Username827 »

There are a number of useful videos on YouTube that go into better depth than I ever could. However, the real pits is getting the tube back in place. I use those light Irwin clamps to carefully put pressure on it.
Makes me wonder about those flytanium replacements...gonna have to pick one up.
May the Schwartz be with you
PStone

Post by PStone »

Whatever you do, don’t try spinning the liner separate from the scale. It will tear up the inside of the g10 around the nesting for the liner. And resist all urges to use pliers to grab the tube. SG88’s toothbrush method has worked for me. Just be careful not to bend the liner. A little shot of wd40 around the tube never hurts either.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I use my multitool pliers with the jaws wrapped in a towel so it doesn't chew up the tube, and gently twist the tube as you pull on the scale.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PStone

Post by PStone »

I have something you could try. It just worked for a Military with a stubborn tube. Granted it doesn’t have a liner, but I think this could work for a pm2. I just don’t have one with a tube that hasn’t been pulled before. Anyways, get some qtips, and start putting them through the tube. I used 4, but ymmv, if it even works.

Make sure they are lined up evenly, and pull them all back through at the same time, so they all wedge into the tube.

That will give you something to hold onto so you can start to wiggle back and forth as you start pulling.

Hopefully the qtips have wedged tight enough and push the tube through like this.

Again, I know this a different model, but what could it hurt to try? I wish I had a factory fresh tube to try this with. But let me know if you try and it does work. And if you’re skeptical I understand. But know that I once pulled a tube from a manix 2 with just some string :D :spyder:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I've not removed a lanyard tube but I'd be inclined to use a bit of suede, rubber or similar to wrap around the tube in order to protect it from marring and chuck it in a battery drill. Perhaps add a little lubricant like Ballistol to G10 scales and screw it out slowly with care at very low revs (?). :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

To get the tube back in, I chuck my lanyard tube in my drill press and used a small mill file to straighten the flared ends of the tube. Worked great! Then I bought a blue ti tube from xxxadrenalinxxx on eBay. Smaller hole in tube, more visible blue! Shipping from Aus took a bit but I was happy with the product.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I keep saying I'm going to make punch that fits inside the tube and has a shoulder on it to catch the od so you can push it out. I haven't had to take one apart lately so I guess I forgot. Time to fire up the CAD software and 3D printer.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm confused...if your just swapping scales, why did you totally dissemble the knife?? I just swapped scales on my Manix earlier tonight, first scale swap ever and it took about 15 minutes.

I did one side at a time, removing all the screws and then prying the scale off the lanyard, install new scale, tighten up and switch to the other side. No need to remove the liners or the lanyard tube itself. Sounds like a lot more work than necessary :confused:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
awa54

Post by awa54 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:01 pm
I'm confused...if your just swapping scales, why did you totally dissemble the knife?? I just swapped scales on my Manix earlier tonight, first scale swap ever and it took about 15 minutes.

I did one side at a time, removing all the screws and then prying the scale off the lanyard, install new scale, tighten up and switch to the other side. No need to remove the liners or the lanyard tube itself. Sounds like a lot more work than necessary :confused:

Manix liners aren't nested into the G10, so you can spin the scales independently of the liners, plus the liners are stout enough to pry against without any danger of damage...
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Stew

Post by Stew »

How about popping it in the freezer for a while? The metal may contract sufficiently to be a looser fit.

Might also work for rebuilding.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

awa54 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:12 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:01 pm

Manix liners aren't nested into the G10, so you can spin the scales independently of the liners, plus the liners are stout enough to pry against without any danger of damage...
Ohhh, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the heads up! As I was doing it and thinking to myself "this scale swapping stuff is easy, I'm surprised more people don't do it" I guess I'll have to give it a little more thought with some Para 3 swaps that crossed my mind haha.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
anycal

Post by anycal »

I posted the below on a different thread. That said, my newest PM2, KW 204P, the tube came out without needing to do any of this. Not sure if Spyderco changed something?

Lanyard tube - you should be able to remove one side without any issue, gently prying them apart, or even pulling them apart. Hold both sides close to the tube and wiggle them apart.

Once you have one side off, place the other side, lanyard tube down, between an opening like partially opened jaws of a vise. Or two pieces of wood. Then use a socket (my Craftsman 4mm fits perfect) and hammer to tap out the tube. Make sure everything is squared off, and the tube should come out easy. If you don't have a socket, you can use a screw or a nail with the right sized head, and tap it out.

For easier reassembly and future ease of removal, you can sand down the tube ends. Place the tube into a drill chuck, and hold the other side with 400 grit sandpaper. Spin it. Repeat on the other side. Once sanded down, the tube will be a lot easier to reinstall and remove.

Over the years, I have been doing this to my many PM2s and couple of Para 3s. No damage or any issues at all.
Peter
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Seriously they should change the official parts name to the bastard lanyard tube
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I just stick a pen or dowel in it and pry away until it comes out.

I wish they weren’t flared. My Para2 S110V wasn’t flared and many of my Taichung folders aren’t flared. I took the lanyard tube out of my k2 and put it in the box because it rattled so much. Maybe that is why they are flared? The one in my S110V Para2 didn’t rattle though. :confused:
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Stew wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:00 am
How about popping it in the freezer for a while? The metal may contract sufficiently to be a looser fit.

Might also work for rebuilding.
Exactly what I did to swap out smooth scales on a Cruwear PM2. Disassembled as far as I could removing the blade froze over night used a wooden dowel held the scales in my hand pinching them closed and ran the dowel towards the tube popped off surprisingly easy.

Reassembly with new textured G-10 required Stanley padded vice and attention to centering, turned out great.
Last edited by Doeswhateveraspidercan on Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Raven,

Welcome to our forum. Hope the locals were able to help you out.

sal
Sober_Survival

Post by Sober_Survival »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:23 am
I use my multitool pliers with the jaws wrapped in a towel so it doesn't chew up the tube, and gently twist the tube as you pull on the scale.
I do the same.
There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15.13