KnifeCenter CPM-CRUWEAR Native 5 with smooth black G10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Re: KnifeCenter CPM-CRUWEAR Native 5 with smooth black G10

Post by jdw »

Nice reply, my friend.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:44 pm
I buy from normal people
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Mine arrived today. It is just gorgeous. Wow! Even being super picky, I don't see much of anything to critique.

The grinds are all super even. I will say there is the usual bit of unsharpened edge at the plunge line junction.

The smooth G10 is really nice and gripper than you might think. It looks great too.

The lock is bomber (as expected). Action is excellent. No play and drops halfway shut upon release-- after 2 drops of oil and 0 adjustments.

The Golden knifemakers just keep producing incredible work. Dare I say, continuing to improve and raise standards and expectations-- for the company but also across the industry. :spyder:

This was a totally unexpected knife and just a sweet little surprise.

This is my first Cruwear-- and in a favorite model with very nice G10. :cool:
Eman816

Post by Eman816 »

Im on the fence right now I have the cruwear para 3 smooth g10 absolutely hate the feel. I got the m4 with jade scales in a trade and swapped blades and now I love my cru wear in the new scales. That being said I feel like with the different ergs of the native it's very tempting. I also love the edge and polish you can get on cruwear.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:26 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:44 pm
I buy from normal people

So this is "normal" down under?

...they do say two heads are better than one.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

brumledb wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:18 pm
jdw wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:18 pm
You guys make me trust no one on the secondary market. That's cool.
What’s shady about swapping blades and scales and then selling the resulting knife? We all sell with proper documentation and pictures. Don’t like getting good deals on knives?

That’s cool.
Great deals can be had that way. I saw a native go just yesterday for $150 that had new scales and a new s90v blade. Someone may have put a new blade into a fluted CF model and sold what resulted. "Frankenspydies" aren't collector's items, but they're still fantastic users, assuming the lock works perfectly after the swap (gotta check pics, especially with liner locks).
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Got mine!

I love everything about it! Outstanding!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
anycal

Post by anycal »

I may have indicated earlier that I will be skipping this one. Apparently that wasn't me. Someone must have compromised my account :o

Peter
blades&wrenches

Post by blades&wrenches »

Mine arrives tomorrow! Can’t wait! It will compliment my smooth green G10 exclusive perfectly!
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Nice photo, Peter.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

anycal wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:46 pm
I may have indicated earlier that I will be skipping this one. Apparently that wasn't me. Someone must have compromised my account :o

:D Glad I'm not the only one that flipped on this one. :D It was seeing other lovely pics like yours on this thread that got me: I normally think black/satin knives are pretty boring, but this one really does look beautiful, the smooth g10 really does suit the native. And I do love my native salt, so...
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
attila

Post by attila »

anycal wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:46 pm

Oh gosh, what an enticing photo! That sure strains my willpower, but I still can't get over the price.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
fixall

Post by fixall »

Mine came in yesterday and it's great! I actually like the look of the smooth G10 much more than expected.

I also picked up a BNIB oldschool G10 Native 5 with steel liners and an S35VN blade. I plan on swapping the Cruwear blade (and backlock) into those scales and liners and then having a set of African Blackwood scales made for it. :D
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

fixall wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:53 pm
Mine came in yesterday and it's great! I actually like the look of the smooth G10 much more than expected.

I also picked up a BNIB oldschool G10 Native 5 with steel liners and an S35VN blade. I plan on swapping the Cruwear blade (and backlock) into those scales and liners and then having a set of African Blackwood scales made for it. :D
If I may ask who is making the African Blackwood scaled for you? Sounds like that will be awesome!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

fixall wrote:

Where did you find that linered S35VN Native? It took me quite awhile to track one down a year ago. I would love if some dealer would do a DLC Cruwear Native exclusive using the original Native 5 linered format and peel ply G10. It would be a mini-tank with Cruwear and liners! I don't mess with modding knives because there are already too many production knives I want to get, but yours sounds like it is going to be amazing!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
fixall

Post by fixall »

marty_bill_ wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:07 pm
fixall wrote:

If I may ask who is making the African Blackwood scaled for you? Sounds like that will be awesome!
Right now I'm waiting to hear back from suingab of g10.lt. He made the black canvas Micarta scales for my M4 Para 3 and the gray and blue G10 scales for my s30v wharncliffe Delica.

If I don't hear back from him, I have one other person to talk to. Worst case scenario I make them myself... I have about 50lbs of African Blackwood on hand, lol.

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:13 pm
fixall wrote:

Where did you find that linered S35VN Native? It took me quite awhile to track one down a year ago. I would love if some dealer would do a DLC Cruwear Native exclusive using the original Native 5 linered format and peel ply G10. It would be a mini-tank with Cruwear and liners! I don't mess with modding knives because there are already too many production knives I want to get, but yours sounds like it is going to be amazing!
I've actually been on the hunt for one for several months now and have a "WTB" post about it on another forum. Finally received a message about it yesterday and made the purchase earlier today. :D
fixall

Post by fixall »

Suingab just got back to me...

Cruwear, steel liners, and African Blackwood here we come!
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

If this is still in stock at noon today I’ll order one. Will be my fourth native if I get my hands on it. Then I’ll need to get the crucarta shaman for symmetry :p .
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

This one is my first non-LW Native. I'd been intending to eventually search out a transitional linerless/S35VN example, since I have zero interest in the extra weight of liners, but for the exact same price as S30V I'm psyched to have CruWear!

I would have prefered a textured scale, but the smooth G10 really does work well on the N5 IMO.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Mine arrived yesterday and I'm quite pleased with it. I've wanted to try Cruwear since I got into Spyderco and I love the Native platform, so when I saw this knife drop it was pretty much and instant-buy! I typically like a little bit of texture (but not overly aggressive) on scales and knew going into this that it was going to be smooth.. but it was almost off-puttingly at first.. However, the more I handle it, I don't think it's slick enough to cause any real safety issues unless I'm being really careless and, overall, I feel like the Native ergos are such that a secure working grip is easy to maintain. I do appreciate how easily the smooth g10 goes in and out of the pocket. From the very little time I've spent with it, Cruwear seems pretty awesome so far! I think longterm, I'm really going to like this one!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..