Elmax Urban LW (British Blades Forum knife) - a big thank you to Spyderco and Sal .... & Stew!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Woodpuppy

Re: Elmax Urban LW (British Blades Forum knife) - a big thank you to Spyderco and Sal .... & Stew!

Post by Woodpuppy »

That elmax urban looks fantastic!
Hmmmm how’s about some CRUWEAR?
UrbanMoose

Re: Elmax Urban LW (British Blades Forum knife) - a big thank you to Spyderco and Sal .... & Stew!

Post by UrbanMoose »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:50 pm
That elmax urban looks fantastic!
Hmmmm how’s about some CRUWEAR?

Agreed.
Stew

Post by Stew »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:43 am
Well, I am glad for the reminder. I may have to look into getting one of these. The guy at BB really angered a lot of members when he refused to sell the knife to people overseas. I think he ended up getting stuck with a bunch of these and they ended up going to retailers because of it. I no longer participate on that forum because of that. We were treated pretty badly.
Hi Doc,

I'm the guy at BB that supposedly angered a lot of people.

Sorry that I upset you but to give some context.....

There were a team of moderators at BB.
All 300 of the Urbans came to me.
I managed the threads dealing with orders.
I took all payments from people.
I dealt with the customs payment.
I packaged each knife.
I put the stamps on.
I printed the address labels.
I put the labels on.
I took them to the post office.

Of the 299 I posted, none went missing (I have one myself, in my pocket right now as it happens)

15 of the 300 weren't paid for but were funded through the other 285 buyers. One of those was mine and the other 14 went to the other moderators as freebies. That was the only payment I took but I've also had to put up with the slating from folk as well because of being 'the guy' in this.

I called quits on the international orders because it was too much for me to cope with while trying to keep my work, my wife, my kids and all those buyers happy (everyone wants it delivered the next day - thanks Amazon for that!!). I had a partial breakdown because of the stress of folk going on and actually quit as a mod before all the knives were dealt with, but got them dealt with.

Thankfully for the international guys and gals, (many of whom only joined the forum to get that knife) Sal and Spyderco stepped in to assist me and they shipped direct from Spyderco to each of those people. They were the only ones that gave any help.

At the end, I had two unaccounted for without a pre-order. I put them up for sale on BB and within minutes they had gone. I wasn't stuck with a bunch for retailers.

In hindsight I should have just been like one of the other mods and got my free knife but let someone else do all the donkey work. There has been many a time where I have considered just pushing my urban into my belt grinder while running a fresh cubitron belt.... :rolleyes:

However!

It's a great knife and gets lots of praise on forums. We made some good choices and Spyderco made a great knife. If you ever see one pop up for sale now, it doesn't hang around for long. They sell for more second hand than they did from me so if anyone wants to make a profit, I'm sure they could....
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

That's a lot of grief over a forum knife, but an Elmax Urban does sound amazing! Glad you got through it in the end
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Stew wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:18 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:43 am
Well, I am glad for the reminder. I may have to look into getting one of these. The guy at BB really angered a lot of members when he refused to sell the knife to people overseas. I think he ended up getting stuck with a bunch of these and they ended up going to retailers because of it. I no longer participate on that forum because of that. We were treated pretty badly.
Hi Doc,

I'm the guy at BB that supposedly angered a lot of people.

Sorry that I upset you but to give some context.....

There were a team of moderators at BB.
All 300 of the Urbans came to me.
I managed the threads dealing with orders.
I took all payments from people.
I dealt with the customs payment.
I packaged each knife.
I put the stamps on.
I printed the address labels.
I put the labels on.
I took them to the post office.

Of the 299 I posted, none went missing (I have one myself, in my pocket right now as it happens)

15 of the 300 weren't paid for but were funded through the other 285 buyers. One of those was mine and the other 14 went to the other moderators as freebies. That was the only payment I took but I've also had to put up with the slating from folk as well because of being 'the guy' in this.

I called quits on the international orders because it was too much for me to cope with while trying to keep my work, my wife, my kids and all those buyers happy (everyone wants it delivered the next day - thanks Amazon for that!!). I had a partial breakdown because of the stress of folk going on and actually quit as a mod before all the knives were dealt with, but got them dealt with.

Thankfully for the international guys and gals, (many of whom only joined the forum to get that knife) Sal and Spyderco stepped in to assist me and they shipped direct from Spyderco to each of those people. They were the only ones that gave any help.

At the end, I had two unaccounted for without a pre-order. I put them up for sale on BB and within minutes they had gone. I wasn't stuck with a bunch for retailers.

In hindsight I should have just been like one of the other mods and got my free knife but let someone else do all the donkey work. There has been many a time where I have considered just pushing my urban into my belt grinder while running a fresh cubitron belt.... :rolleyes:

However!

It's a great knife and gets lots of praise on forums. We made some good choices and Spyderco made a great knife. If you ever see one pop up for sale now, it doesn't hang around for long. They sell for more second hand than they did from me so if anyone wants to make a profit, I'm sure they could....
That must’ve been very stressful. No worries, all is forgiven.

I doubt if I’ll get an Elmax Urban because I’m not gonna pay the scalper’s prices for it. I’ll survive and who knows? Spyderco might just release another one with ElMax.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Stew

Post by Stew »

There's one for sale on Edgematters right now for £80. In comparison, the recent sprint run of the Urban in AEB-L is up for sale from a retailer for £89.90 brand new. I think £80 is still a good deal.
sal

Post by sal »

I'd like to point out that Stew did a stellar job handling the project and it really was far more stress than he has indicated. We'd be happy to work with Stew on any future projects.

sal
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Stew wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:47 pm
There's one for sale on Edgematters right now for £80. In comparison, the recent sprint run of the Urban in AEB-L is up for sale from a retailer for £89.90 brand new. I think £80 is still a good deal.

Scuze my ignorance but...what is Edgematters ... a retailer ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
jdw

Post by jdw »

Edgematters is a European knife forum. I just bought a K390 Pingo from CK in the U.S. that they ran. I am pretty sure that they are not UK only. British Blades I believe is a different forum.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Stew

Post by Stew »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:08 pm
Stew wrote:

Sorry - should have said. It's a UK based forum.

https://edgematters.uk/
Stew

Post by Stew »

sal wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:05 pm
I'd like to point out that Stew did a stellar job handling the project and it really was far more stress than he has indicated. We'd be happy to work with Stew on any future projects.

sal
Thank you.

It definitely gave me deeper respect for those that do any sort of retail!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Stew wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:29 pm
elena86 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:08 pm
Stew wrote:

Sorry - should have said. It's a UK based forum.

https://edgematters.uk/

Thanks. I was stupid enough not to buy one when I could ... I am willing to pay a premium price to get one !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

sal wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:05 pm

sal
You can’t ask for any better recommendation than that.