A Spyderco "Throwing Pocket Knife".

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Elshauno

Re: A Spyderco "Throwing Pocket Knife".

Post by Elshauno »

Rpp wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:53 pm
Lots of bad advice on California laws here. Pathetic.
Would you prefer everyone to be a victim because they can't protect themselves legally? I'd rather have a fighting chance and take my chance in court if i ever had to use it. Better than being dead right? ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:11 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:34 pm
the knife-throwing that I do

YEAH!!! "Bloked" for the third time on this forum!!! :) :) :)

Plus, seriously: This video illustrates somehow what I said: You´d have to learn and do no-spin-throwing (as opposed to throw the knife spinning, like the guy in the vid does) to even have a chance of hitting a (moving) target properly with the tip (and not any other part) of the knife!
In this GIF the knife bounces off exactly BECAUSE the guy did not measure the distance perfectly right. Something that is of no or at least way less importance if the knife does not spin while in the air...

Plus, no-spin-throwing is a fun skill to have, though of absolutely NO practical value... :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

the idea wasnt bad but i guess i would have to agree with sal a pocket rocket and a few marbles would work decent but i still think you would mostly get their attention turned toward you.
running up to them from behind with a knife would be probably would be the most useful way of using a knife on an attacker.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:40 am
the idea wasnt bad but i guess i would have to agree with sal a pocket rocket and a few marbles would work decent but i still think you would mostly get their attention turned toward you.
running up to them from behind with a knife would be probably would be the most useful way of using a knife on an attacker.

It´s really hard to think of a scenario where THROWING a knife could be even an option of any value... maybe if you can´t use your feet anymore for whatever reason (so can´t walk or run), happen to have a large, heavy throwing knife, the attacker STAYS at a distance of lets say 15 feet (and you can´t run up to him) and is in the process of drawing a gun.. VERY unlikely to ever happen, and even in THAT scenario the chances you´d hurt him to a degree where he could not shoot you any more are VERY low I think (judging from the knife throwing I do, I have no serious fight-training background).

Again, knife throwing is fun, but when it comes to SD not vastly more usefull than throwing a frisbee imho... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jdw

Post by jdw »

Elshauno wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:37 pm
Rpp wrote:
Would you prefer everyone to be a victim because they can't protect themselves legally? I'd rather have a fighting chance and take my chance in court if i ever had to use it. Better than being dead right? ;)
My guess is that you would be screwed either way. The common man is stuck in the middle between an unjust court system, laws created to generate revenue, people perpetrating violent street crime, and violent police reaction......just my .01 worth.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Elshauno

Post by Elshauno »

jdw wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:02 am

My guess is that you would be screwed either way. The common man is stuck in the middle between an unjust court system, laws created to generate revenue, people perpetrating violent street crime, and violent police reaction......just my .01 worth.
I agree, you would probably be screwed either way but at least you would have a chance to clear yourself in court.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Look at the history and role of law enforcement during early union activities, the role of the police in the South during the Civil Rights movement, fast forward to the Chicago DNC riots and excessive police force, to modern police over reactions and deaths of innocent people. They ain't for you folks. I know that there are a lot of officers who are on this board. Please remember that your primary role is 'To protect and to serve' and not enforcement against random civilians.
--Wovoka
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:02 am
rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:40 am

It´s really hard to think of a scenario where THROWING a knife could be even an option of any value... maybe if you can´t use your feet anymore for whatever reason (so can´t walk or run), happen to have a large, heavy throwing knife, the attacker STAYS at a distance of lets say 15 feet (and you can´t run up to him) and is in the process of drawing a gun.. VERY unlikely to ever happen, and even in THAT scenario the chances you´d hurt him to a degree where he could not shoot you any more are VERY low I think (judging from the knife throwing I do, I have no serious fight-training background).

Again, knife throwing is fun, but when it comes to SD not vastly more usefull than throwing a frisbee imho... ;)
I guess a frisbee with razorblades (like King Lao's hat) would be ideal... Jokes aside now that this idea has been grounded in realism. The only practical thing would be to conceal carry and potentially violate local laws, run, or a ballistic knife.... Which to my knowledge is universally illegal and incredibly hard to come by.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

jdw wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:25 am
Look at the history and role of law enforcement during early union activities, the role of the police in the South during the Civil Rights movement, fast forward to the Chicago DNC riots and excessive police force, to modern police over reactions and deaths of innocent people. They ain't for you folks. I know that there are a lot of officers who are on this board. Please remember that your primary role is 'To protect and to serve' and not enforcement against random civilians.

History is a messy thing, but personally I commend all our boys in blue and our service members. However, I will say police often show up AFTER a crime is committed (unless they are nearby, and can act accordingly). Example I got into a scuffle in the middle of downtown on a Saturday night. Normally, there are police all over the place but during the incident I was on my own. Fortunately, I do have some training and I am in descent enough shape. I also had my Shaman on me, but drawing my weapon wasn't in my thought process because I was focused on deescalating the situation. I engaged them, but was mostly deflecting and separating (my friend started the fight, and I felt like he was in the wrong). Still got punched in the mouth (surprise), but could of been worse.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

If you don't have a way out...close the distance, the average guy with a gun isn't going to have these skills. Situational awareness and training are the best ways to stay safe.

And although it varies by county legal concealed carry is possible in CA but you do have to give up other rights for the "privilege".

-Turbo
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

You need to stop watching action movies.No person on this planet would be able to stop a shooter by throwing a knife at him in a real life situation.This is why the soldiers use close to never a knife in combat-they have much better tools.If you want to throw something at the attacker a rock or your jacket would be a much better choice.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
Hi Spyderman,

Yes, the shootings recently are distressing. A tragic waste for sure.

Throwing your weapon to your opponent is not really a good choice, as mentioned. Also, throwing folders takes a toll on the lock. My suggestion would be a quality, portable slingshot and a small bag of 1/2" steel balls. They work well for raccoons after my bird feeders. But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".

sal
True words of wisdom.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
sal

Post by sal »

Rpp wrote:
criticizing laws on knives, etc. seems to be common gripe on forums. Don't bring up Canadian or UK laws without bringing your lunch.

sal
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

I suggest everyone that thinks a knife is viable self defense option over a gun/pepper spray to read this: http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/knifelies.html
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

emanuel wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:22 am
I suggest everyone that thinks a knife is viable self defense option over a gun/pepper spray to read this: http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/knifelies.html
I'd much rather have someone attack me with pepper spray than a knife. Lots of opinions in that article. And I do NOT condone knife fighting. I absolutely hate the thought of it. But as long as you know the other person doesn't have a firearm, simply brandishing a large knife can put an end to the confrontation before it begins. Pull out a Tatanka or a CS XL Voyager/Recon 1/Espada for example, and some attackers may say "forget this" and leave (best case scenario). But admittedly, it is rare that the attacker is unarmed. It is also rare that you can tell with utmost certainty that they don't have a firearm. Knife fights are just horrible.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:50 am
I'd much rather have someone attack me with pepper spray than a knife.
Criminals won't attack you with a knife unless they want to murder you, they try to intimidate you with it instead. If someone wants to kill you, they won't be coming visibly or giving you any chance of fighting back. Why does a criminal use a weapon to begin with? To make it NOT a fair fight, and to overwhelm you with all the advantages they can get. Someone carrying a knife for self defense will almost never have a chance to even pull it out, let alone defend himself with it.
Pelagic wrote:
Knife fights are just horrible.
That's the thing, they're never fights. The moment you pull that out you're entering the realm of combat, and you'd better be ready to die or murder, and the law will make it that it was YOUR decision to escalate, in every single american state or Europe. Just like with a gun, you don't pull it out to intimidate, you pull it out to kill due to incredible immediate, certain danger to your life, then holster it back. You don't slice around 2-3 times and they give up like some of these "knife fighting masters" teach the gullible. Your adversary won't be a good man and he will be willing to kill you and you'd better be ready to do it too, then also get ready to spend a good part of your life in jail, that is if you or both don't end up dead to begin with, like its usually the case. And as you said, you never know what the other guy is carrying, so pulling a knife can get you shot. Or ****, he might be having a pepper spray and your knife advantage will disappear in a flash of tears, pain and suffocation.

Back to OP's ideas about throwing a knife for self defense, that's even worse. Unless you hit the guy in the skull and instantly drop him (if you're some superhuman that can even throw that hard and accurately), you just made yourself his target while he's pissed that you gave him a nick somewhere on his body, and congrats, he now has a knife if he didn't have one before. Also, Portugal you say? Enjoy your decade in prison.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

emanuel wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:11 am
Pelagic wrote:
I'd much rather have someone attack me with pepper spray than a knife.
Criminals won't attack you with a knife unless they want to murder you, they try to intimidate you with it instead. If someone wants to kill you, they won't be coming visibly or giving you any chance of fighting back. Why does a criminal use a weapon to begin with? To make it NOT a fair fight, and to overwhelm you with all the advantages they can get. Someone carrying a knife for self defense will almost never have a chance to even pull it out, let alone defend himself with it.
Pelagic wrote:
Knife fights are just horrible.
That's the thing, they're never fights. The moment you pull that out you're entering the realm of combat, and you'd better be ready to die or murder, and the law will make it that it was YOUR decision to escalate, in every single american state or Europe. Just like with a gun, you don't pull it out to intimidate, you pull it out to kill due to incredible immediate, certain danger to your life, then holster it back. You don't slice around 2-3 times and they give up like some of these "knife fighting masters" teach the gullible. Your adversary won't be a good man and he will be willing to kill you and you'd better be ready to do it too, then also get ready to spend a good part of your life in jail, that is if you or both don't end up dead to begin with, like its usually the case. And as you said, you never know what the other guy is carrying, so pulling a knife can get you shot. Or ****, he might be having a pepper spray and your knife advantage will disappear in a flash of tears, pain and suffocation.

Back to OP's ideas about throwing a knife for self defense, that's even worse. Unless you hit the guy in the skull and instantly drop him (if you're some superhuman that can even throw that hard and accurately), you just made yourself his target while he's pissed that you gave him a nick somewhere on his body, and congrats, he now has a knife if he didn't have one before. Also, Portugal you say? Enjoy your decade in prison.
I'm from California but visiting relatives here. Honestly, Portugal doesn't have "a problem" as we do in the US. People go out at night unafraid, while in my hometown I always am looking over my shoulder. My dad leaves the car unlocked WITH THE KEYS INSIDE, and everything is fine. As for me... I lock everything out of habit, but it is very peaceful here in the smaller cities.

I agree with everything you said regarding carrying a knife for self defense. In the end it's not practical, and pulling a knife out for intimidation without the means to follow through is folly. People who wish to do you harm will do so when you are most vulnerable.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Also, the "throwing" feature of the knife id exactly that. I wanted something with some heft for penetration and is durable enough to withstand such abuse. But as everyone has said, it'll probably have to be a one in a million throw. I wouldn't expect to stop someone completely, but if you have a big knife sticking out your back it could momentarily.
But the concept and execution are all purely hypothetical. Sometimes you're better off just running to fight another day (if that is an option).
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

If you don't have time to pull out a knife, you probably don't have time to pull out pepper spray either. The truth is that all situations are different, and some of us would rather have something and not need it versus needing something and not having it.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
jdw

Post by jdw »

I have made a few comments in this thread but in all seriousness......unless you are also armed, trained, and feel like a hero, or are defending a loved one, just freaking run.
--Wovoka