A Spyderco "Throwing Pocket Knife".

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spyderman91

A Spyderco "Throwing Pocket Knife".

Post by Spyderman91 »

Hey all, hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their weekend.

I am here in beautiful northern Portugal visiting relatives, and couldn't be happier. With that said the news over here has shown three different mass shootings across the US in less than a week.

Without getting too political this post was inspired by these tragedies. My idea is for Spyderco to design a balanced knife that would not only be a great slicing tool, but durable and accurate enough to be thrown from a distance.

Yes I am aware bullets will always travel faster, but for us folks who can't conceal carry (California). All I can hope for is a nice knife in my pocket, and being the Spyderman that I am I have many including the Spyderthrowers :cool: . But my idea is to have a regular concealable folding knife that could serve the same purpose. Of course such a knife would need to be heavily reinforced to sustain multiple impacts... But if anyone could design such an instrument. It would be Spyderco :spyder:
Evil D

Re: A Spyderco "Throwing Pocket Knife".

Post by Evil D »

I'm no self defense expert but with one throwing knife you have exactly one chance to land a hit on a target that is likely moving, and if you miss you're now unarmed. If knife defense is really your only option I'd look into some kind of real knife defense like Michael Janich teaches.

That said, if it must be a folder and you must throw it, maybe if they made a waved version of the all stainless Endura, you'd have a heavy knife that can be drawn and opened in one motion, and you would already be gripping the handle in a way that you could throw it, and the extra mass of the stainless handle would at least make it potentially harmful even if you don't stick the blade in. In the meantime you can use a zip tie on a standard stainless knife (maybe even a Police model) and they act as a wave opener and in my experience are at least as effective as a wave hook.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Not sure about CA, but FL prohibits carrying “dirks, daggers...” yada yada. A double bevel throwing knife would I am sure violate that little bit of 50s gang pearl-clutching legislation.
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

First let me say: Of course I heard about the shootings, it's really a tragedy and I feel with victims and their close ones.

/ Concerning the throwing thing: I do just for fun a lot of no spin throwing, mainly with my Esee laser strike and other fixed blades, a total of 5 or 6 times also with an Endura (works great on shorter distances, but would destroy the lock or the tip over time I guess).

I can tell you: The "man stopping power" of a thrown, even heavy folder (especially against a commited to kill crazy guy) is zero imho, unless you get a one in a 1000 hit, even if you are trained.

And you'd HAVE to train no spin throwing (like I do), cause with a traditional spinning throw you'll most likely rarely hit a moving target with the tip of the knife (but with handle, spine,,,)
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jdw

Post by jdw »

Just buy some throwing stars. They can fit in a case in your back pocket and look like a wallet. You aren't likely to really stop someone without a super lucky shot but they are really fun to play with.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

From what I’ve read throwing knives have never been effective weapons. That’s just in movies.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Thank you all for your civil comments, and experience. To clarify my idea, the "throwing feature" would be more of a last ditch effort than an initial response.

Being a pocket knife I suppose it wouldn't have the necessary stopping power, but maybe it could have the penetrating power. I agree things get complicated when it comes to a moving target, and the skill of the user. Also, totally forgot about the "dirk, or dagger" laws in CA. Guess if I had to I'd throw my shaman and probably would have the same result. >.<
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Added to my post above:
As said, you'd have to do a no spin throw to even have a chance to hit the (moving) target with the tip of the knife.(and not the handle,the spine...)
To do a good and somewhat powerfull no spin throw (any knife throw actually, but especially np spin) you have to do a quite big, time comsuming "back swing" / movement with your arm.
Given the very short distance on which a folder throw could be somehow effective (as said, it would not have man stopping power anyway) you could in the time it takes to throw the knife easily run up to the shooter and try to slash him several times.

(To be clear: I have NO CLUE when it comes to knife sd or knife fighting, nor to shooting. I am just transferring what I know from throwing knives on dead trees...)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Spyderman,

Yes, the shootings recently are distressing. A tragic waste for sure.

Throwing your weapon to your opponent is not really a good choice, as mentioned. Also, throwing folders takes a toll on the lock. My suggestion would be a quality, portable slingshot and a small bag of 1/2" steel balls. They work well for raccoons after my bird feeders. But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".

sal
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

The best thing to put up against a spree killer is a ready in waiting SWAT team. Sadly and predictably these things occur in gun-free (freedom-exclusion) zones where the people cannot protect themselves. The killers choose venues where they can be unopposed and where they can wreak maximum damage. The next best thing is responsibly armed citizens. After all, the people present at a venue are their own first responders. Cops and EMTs are by nature second responders.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

So when do we get to see the new Spyderco Pocket Rocket? Haha!

I haven't thought about a slingshot since I was a child.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Third post in this thread... but one last thing to consider here is clothing. Really, judging from the knife-throwing that I do (just for fun, and just on wood or the like) I guess a thrown FOLDER would be stopped significantly even just by a thicker jacket. Just too light weight, I guess to even have a chance to do at least some damage you'd have to use a heavy, (fixed blade) throwing knife...
So not much left to aim for when throwing a folder for sd... the head would be unprotected, but the skull too thick, and it's absolutely impossible imho to hit the eye with a thrown folder in an sd scenario...
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:34 pm
the knife-throwing that I do
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Elshauno

Post by Elshauno »

Spyderman91 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:45 am

Yes I am aware bullets will always travel faster, but for us folks who can't conceal carry (California). All I can hope for is a nice knife in my pocket, and being the Spyderman that I am I have many including the Spyderthrowers :cool: . But my idea is to have a regular concealable folding knife that could serve the same purpose. Of course such a knife would need to be heavily reinforced to sustain multiple impacts... But if anyone could design such an instrument. It would be Spyderco :spyder:
Plenty of people in CA carry concealed regardless of the unconstitutional laws😉

Honestly, when is the last time you got searched by a cop?
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I’d say in any last ditch situation, a knife hurtling at the attacker with you behind it would be a lot more effective than a knife hurtling at the attacker with nothing but it’s own momentum behind it.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
jdw

Post by jdw »

A big rock has worked for millennia if it comes down to it.
--Wovoka
Rpp

Post by Rpp »

Lots of bad advice on California laws here. Pathetic.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Rpp wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:53 pm
Lots of bad advice on California laws here. Pathetic.
It's an open forum. I would be interested to know what your polite corrections would be rather than read your mildly disdainful insults. Maybe we could all gain some knowledge that way.
--Wovoka
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Elshauno wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:16 pm
Spyderman91 wrote:

Plenty of people in CA carry concealed regardless of the unconstitutional laws😉

Honestly, when is the last time you got searched by a cop?
I've been searched by the Chicago Police. Just once mind you. I was in Chinatown which is not far from where I lived at the time (this is years back) and I was looking at the fences at the rear of the homes... I noted that in Chinatown some people have barbed and razor wire on their fences! THIS IS ILLEGAL as far as I know for a residence in Chicago. About half way down the alley, 2 police squads pulled in and asked me to assume the position for a pat down search where they went through my pockets.

I used to shave all of the time, and I'm clean cut. I had a small folder and wallet on me. I have no tattoos or piercings. It is illegal to do what they did. I DINDU NUFFIN.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Spyderman91 wrote:
Hey all, hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their weekend.

I am here in beautiful northern Portugal visiting relatives, and couldn't be happier. With that said the news over here has shown three different mass shootings across the US in less than a week.

Without getting too political this post was inspired by these tragedies. My idea is for Spyderco to design a balanced knife that would not only be a great slicing tool, but durable and accurate enough to be thrown from a distance.

NO. If you do not have the training, just GTFO FAST.

Throwing a knife at a guy with a handgun or rifle will get you shot.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/