How many knives do you carry at one time?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

sundown... whatever you do, DON'T GO SWIMMING!!!!!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

This may seem strange, that I carry 7-9 knives daily...the reason though...as a defensive tactics instructor to Law Enforcement Agents I have to show those I train all the possiblities that they might come in contact with. I must admit it's kind of fun to carry so many of my favorite knives each day. I use maybe three of them daily for myself.
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
paulks

Post by paulks »

Yojimbo on strong-side front pocket. This knife stays sharp.
Delica on weak-side rear pocket. The Delica is used for utility work.
davec

Post by davec »

I usually carry an SAK of some sort with my FRN Delica in my jacket. I rotate a Herbst occasionally. For late night sojourns, I might carry my stainless Endura in the jacket just in case. Never been mugged yet but my friend had to flash his Police once to scare off a punk.
JDEE

Post by JDEE »

It depends on the circumstances but the following is a typical day:

1. VicNox Classic on Keyring
2. Leatherman Original on belt
3. Spyderco Delica or Calypso Jr clipped in the pocket for light duty cutting (probably the most used knife)
4. Spyderco Paramilitary or Buck MiniStrider SP (when on long road trips or in the bush) in belt bag for heavy cutting; or alternatively
5. Spyderco Bill Moran FB01 (original in leather crossdraw sheath) or Blackjack Slick for heavy cutting.

So the most I would carry would be 4. If I'm just bumming around in shorts probably only 1 - the Declica.
Jdee
Have a Knife Day
rusticforge.com/knives Australia
Tank

Post by Tank »

I usually carry a Kiwi in pocket, Endura clipped on my left pocket and as of late.. an ATR ss in my right cargo pocket. I also have a delica in my desk at work. In the truck I have a fixed blade buck (not sure of the model).
-John
zeus

Post by zeus »

Check this post from Tank on March 17th. I think something similar has been brought up before:

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14112
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I currently carry a clipless Spur PE in my pants pocket. This is used for everyday tasks in the office since it doesn't raise any eyebrows when a colleague sees me opening a package with it. In whatever Winter coat that I am wearing these days, there is either a Para-military PE or ATR SS PE (newly acquired) in case the need should ever arise for a more substantial blade. In the car, there's a CE Stretch in the storage thingy between the bucket seats (only because I have yet to acquire one of the Rescue knives), and a Bill Moran Drop Point together with a BM806 in the trunk emergency kit. That's about it except for the Ladybugs on my keyrings.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

zeus wrote:Check this post from Tank on March 17th. I think something similar has been brought up before:

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14112
Yes zeus, you're right of course, but it certainly doesn't hurt to go there again for any updates on members' carrying habits, does it? How does that cliche go .... the only constant is change ;) . Besides, as a knife knut, I personally love this kind of discussion :D . You too I bet.
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Allways a Delica PE which is my pocket razor.
At work also an Opinel nr.8 carbon blade for when I need a scharp blade that may get scratched or damaged.
And a 3 inch carbon Puuko for tougher jobs, very sturdy, strong tip, no pivot or lock and I like to find out how strong my own handywork really is.
The first two sharpened at a 30 degree angle and the Puuko at 40.
And to be honest, I like my knifes so I might carry more if I can find a reason to.
In fact the are the only things real personal I carry around.
Tank

Calypso Jr. Concerns

Post by Tank »

After reading FOM's thread:
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14222 Made start to re-think the Calypso Jr. as my next purchase. Was actually going to buy one tomorrow. ( 3rd purchase this month, my wife thinks me crazy) So my question to all of you is. How many have this problem, do you have issues opening it? (especially you lefties) Is it something w&r will take care of?

Prior to FOM's thread all I read were great things about it and after handling one it is very comfy in my hand.

Thanks in advanced for your responces.
-John
konstantkev

Post by konstantkev »

Lately I've been carrying two, one PE and one SE:

PE Delica FRN
SE Jess Horn Black Micarta

I use my Delica for everyday things or if someone needs to borrow a knife and I have the Jess Horn incase I need to tear through something with a serrated edge.

But now that I got a new Bob Lum CE I'll probably carry that instead of the Jess Horn.
Senate

Post by Senate »

I carry probably 2 or 3 knives at a time, usually a little :spyder: (cricket) to cut in front of NKP, a medium (uk penknife) if the task is too hardcore for the little one and possibly a big one (manix) if I'm not in the city and I'm sure to not run into police problems... I don't carry anything for SD cause I'm not qualified and it'd probably do more harm than good. I always try to have one of each blade type at a time, 1 PE and 1 SE.
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
Blades

Post by Blades »

Ed Schempp wrote:How many knives do you carry at one time?
I carry about 6, not counting my Leatherman Juice.
Ed Schempp wrote:How do you differentiate the tasks for each knife? Is one knife emergency]
I have 3(left side/right side/neck sheath) that are for emergencies/defense at the moment. 2 are for utility(1 heavy duty utility, 1 light duty).
My 6th blade is on my keychain. My back-up to my back-up's. A triple redundant system as I like to call it. The same reason I carry 4 light sources :)

I would like to carry a fixed blade, but I can't carry one concealed here in NC. I can carry as many folders as I want, so I do. I do carry my fixed blades(3) in my slingbag, which I carry to work everyday. So I have them available, but so far I have never needed them. I have been able to do all my cutting chores(nothing really major) for the last 15 years with a folder.

Blades
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Tank wrote:After reading FOM's thread:
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14222 Made start to re-think the Calypso Jr. as my next purchase. Was actually going to buy one tomorrow. ( 3rd purchase this month, my wife thinks me crazy) So my question to all of you is. How many have this problem, do you have issues opening it? (especially you lefties) Is it something w&r will take care of?

Prior to FOM's thread all I read were great things about it and after handling one it is very comfy in my hand.

Thanks in advanced for your responces.
Tank, you might want to initiate a new thread for this.
Bob
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

i normally carry 2-3 knives at one time
1 - little victorinox on my keyring
2 one of
:spyder: cricket
:spyder: dragonfly
:spyder: navigator
:spyder: spydercard

3 one of
:spyder: millie
:spyder: paramillie
:spyder: rescue
:spyder: delica
:spyder: police

number one is always carried
one from group 2 is carried as a light duty cutter (string, sticky tape, they are fairly sheeple friendly)
one from group 3 is carried as a harder use knife
if i think i will need a very hard use knife my Kabar usmc is chucked in my toolbox with my fb02 moran drop point
i am currently looking for a new vg10 PE cricket to replace my ats55 PE FRN one
Zeppelin

Post by Zeppelin »

I usually have my SAK in the bottom of my pocket and a Spyderco in the top of my pocket, usually my Delica, Native, or Persian, though if I'm wearing dress clothes where you don't want a big bulge, I'll have my Navigator or Cricket. The SAK's blade is seldom used, but at least 3-4 times a week I'll use the screwdrivers, tweezers, bottle opener, scissors, saw, file, or something else. The only time I consistantly use its blade is when I'm carving wood. The Spyderco does the lion's share of general cutting.
KeithM

Post by KeithM »

Senate wrote: I don't carry anything for SD cause I'm not qualified and it'd probably do more harm than good.
Same with me. I do, however, respect the decision of others to execrise their right to do so.
yog

Post by yog »

Two minimum.
A 3" plain edge folder for general tasks (been a Spyderco Penknife for the last few months).
The second is a small SAK. Partly for people of a very knife nervious disposition, but mainly for the sissors (beard trimming).

If however I feel a serrated blade will be of use, then it is added as the third knife instead of a replacement to either of the other two. IMHO there are somethings a SE will do better than a PE, but also things a SE will do worse.
Walk softly, carry a big stick.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Hi Ed,
I usually carry three knives with me. But since one of them is a MiniPolice necklace and the second one is a Ladybug attached to the keychain, I think only the third one counts. It's a SE Delica (slightly modified) which is my very EDC. In time, it became a beater knife and I think it would qualify for SD should the need arise (hopefully never). It is always reasonably sharp, BTW.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.