Why all the Manix love?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Why all the Manix love?

Post by vivi »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:02 am
Vivi wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:04 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:32 am
The XL just simply needs to have that hook removed off of the pommel. That would make it a much much better knife.
Couldn't disagree more. To me the Manix is a burly, working mans knife. Extreme grip security, lock strength and overall durability.

The mini Manix (aka Manix 2) slips out of my hand on a heavy draw cut.

That should never, ever happen with a Manix.
It pinched my little finger so I prefer the M2 or even the Millie’ pommel.
I dunno how one can get their fingers pinched with the XL and not have their grip slide off the mini. The XL has more grip real estate than the mini.
Evil D wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:09 am
I didn't like the blade shape on the XL. The low blade point and shallow belly are what I love most about the Manix 2 so when I saw he XL has more upsweep to the blade it ruined it for me. It's a small detail but an important one for me.
I'm a big fan of minimal belly designs like the Endura and Police 3, but the Manix XL and C95 always performed well with me. I wouldn't let visual aesthetics alter my perception of performance.
:unicorn
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Doc Dan wrote:
Vivi wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
The XL just simply needs to have that hook removed off of the pommel. That would make it a much much better knife.
Couldn't disagree more. To me the Manix is a burly, working mans knife. Extreme grip security, lock strength and overall durability.

Small pinkie horns good, large pinkie horns bad.

With the great ergonomics of the Manix and outrageous amount of jimping I am unsure how the Manix would slip out of my hand.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
vivi

Post by vivi »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:30 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Vivi wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

With the great ergonomics of the Manix and outrageous amount of jimping I am unsure how the Manix would slip out of my hand.
Beats me, the mini slips out every time my hands are even moderately sweaty, while the XL could be coated in teflon and bacon grease and my grip would be rock solid every time.

The XL has more grip area than the mini, so I feel like if the XL pinches, the mini wouldn't fit a full grip (behind the index choil). I pretty much never use the choil on the Manix series.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:17 am

I'm a big fan of minimal belly designs like the Endura and Police 3, but the Manix XL and C95 always performed well with me. I wouldn't let visual aesthetics alter my perception of performance.

It's less about appearance and more about liking my blade tip as low as I can get it. This is a big reason I like the Military so much, it has belly but the negative blade angle keeps the tip low enough that the belly doesn't bother me. I also love the Police belly, or lack of it anyway.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:19 am
Vivi wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:17 am

It's less about appearance and more about liking my blade tip as low as I can get it. This is a big reason I like the Military so much, it has belly but the negative blade angle keeps the tip low enough that the belly doesn't bother me. I also love the Police belly, or lack of it anyway.
That is a really nice feature of the Military. The combination of a useful amount of belly with a low, easy to control tip.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Actually I am not really entitled to discuss the XL, since I never even just held one admittedly... :rolleyes:

Still: Had a Manix 2 lw, loved the ergos and the lock, but it had just not enough edge.. generally, but especially compared to the quite big / wide closed package.

WITHOUT a choil (as far as technically doable with a CBBL) and consequently longer edge I'd have kept it.

Now I always thought the XL would be a really huge in every dimensions knife.
But in fact (as far as I can see) it has just a longer blade (and longer edge, both absolutely and relatively speaking), consequently a bit longer handle and about the same amount of actual grip area as the regular Manix 2.

This video shows quite well, how much more blade the XL has, while being quite similar in most other dimensions. Even the handle is not THAT much longer (good SIZE comparison starting at around 0:30 or 0:50)

https://youtu.be/XpKqIb1D72E

I am quite sure I'd like the hook at the end of the handle (one point why I prefer the Stretch 1 over the Stretch 2 IS exactly the "hook" the former has, but not the latter).

Why do I still not own a XL then? It's quite pricey compared to Seki FRN knives, and perhaps I would not carry it a lot in the end for I prefer lighter knives.

But an FRN LW Manix I'd buy for sure and most likely keep it....
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Vivi wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

In the grip area is about the same. However I think the problem is for me that the XL has that hook that rises is so abruptly and the regular risers more gently like that on the military. This allows my pinky to gently write up a little bit Instead of being forced into a small spot if you get what I mean.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:48 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Vivi wrote:
In the grip area is about the same. However I think the problem is for me that the XL has that hook that rises is so abruptly and the regular risers more gently like that on the military. This allows my pinky to gently write up a little bit Instead of being forced into a small spot if you get what I mean.

So just to get more opinions on the XL if I may: If you had not the big hands you have, but a bit smaller ones: Would you then like or at least not mind the "hook"?

Cause one thing is clear as far as I can see: A somewhat longer handle is mandatory on the XL, to accomodate the blade, and that more amount of handle is shaped like a hook.

Concerning the Millie on the other hand, the hook would NOT be necessary (or at least not have to be that big), cause the blade does not fully fill the handle anyway when closed...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

If you wear size large gloves your thumb and pinky will be touching the hook-like grooves on the handle of the Manix XL when you full grip it tightly without using the choil. You won't feel cramped, it will feel secure. Some people who wear XL gloves MAY feel cramped, but I feel the majority would not. It is a very secure grip.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I struggled quite a bit on the Para 2 vs Manix 2 debate but I ultimately decided on the Manix 2 for a couple reasons. First was blade shape but that wasn't until it got FFG. Second was the construction, I like that the liners aren't nested because I can modify the handle shape and keep it looking factory. The big one was ergonomics. The P2 just doesn't feel right unless I use the choil, but on the M2 the grip is just enough wider that I can get my fingers in without landing right on the rear pinky point. Even still, I round that point off to further open up the grip. I liked the XL grip, it wouldn't be hard to widen out if your hand doesn't fit.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:27 pm
If you wear size large gloves your thumb and pinky will be touching the hook-like grooves on the handle of the Manix XL when you full grip it tightly without using the choil. You won't feel cramped, it will feel secure. Some people who wear XL gloves MAY feel cramped, but I feel the majority would not. It is a very secure grip.

Thanx! I wear L to XL gloves, for reference: The Manix 2 was very ergonomic for me, the PM2 JUST fits, one mm less grip area and it would be too short / cramped.
So I guess the Manix XL would work for me (in fact it fits Vivis hands, which are bigger than XL as far as I know).
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:54 pm
Pelagic wrote:

Thanx! I wear L to XL gloves, for reference: The Manix 2 was very ergonomic for me, the PM2 JUST fits, one mm less grip area and it would be too short / cramped.
So I guess the Manix XL would work for me (in fact it fits Vivis hands, which are bigger than XL as far as I know).
Most should be fine. One would have to have very thick fingers to feel cramped in the grip. It's one of those handles where gripping it as tight as you possibly can feels right. No glaring hot spots despite the edges being minimally chamfered.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pelagic wrote:
I wear XXL and the Manix XL is one of the most ergonomic folders I've owned. Grip feels fine even with gloves on.

FWIW I never grip it with the index choil in play.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

After Watching Vivi's video of his use with the Manix XL I scouted around and got one in DLC on eBay used. Honestly I love it, it fits my hand much better than the Manix2.

Recently I purchased the Manix2 in Cruwear from Knifecenter because well Cruwear. Hate teh smooth scales and by goodness the design is just not as good as the XL in my not so humble opinion.

I immediately thought awwww man this seems so dinky now and the handle so bloody cramped by comparison why could this have not been the XL in cruwear with regular useful scales. Drat!

Will be looking to replace those scales the knife is still a keeper.

I would love a DLC Cruwear Combo Blade Manix Xl in Cruwear with a backlock.

Smiles :) Hey a fella can dream can't he?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:55 pm

A backlock XL may be a pipe dream, but I think after this CRUWEAR Micarta Shaman they should do a DLC Cruwear Micarta Manix XL.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doeswhateveraspidercan

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:58 pm
Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:55 pm

A backlock XL may be a pipe dream, but I think after this CRUWEAR Micarta Shaman they should do a DLC Cruwear Micarta Manix XL.
Agreed but I am not a huge fan of Micarta.

It is far less durable and looses color swiftly.

The linen Micarta knives I have owned, have all been less durable including the Inyala by Chris Reeve, and the bush crafting knives by TRC with excellent Elmax steel.

G-10 or FRN are both clearly superior materials.

I have owned a Parang with polished Micarta handles in D2 Steel and it held up well. As an aside it made a nice gift for a coworker.

Will I turn my nose up at Micarta with Cruwear? No but I will be more price conscious and there is no way I would ever buy a liner-less Micarta knife.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:00 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

So just to get more opinions on the XL if I may: If you had not the big hands you have, but a bit smaller ones: Would you then like or at least not mind the "hook"?

Cause one thing is clear as far as I can see: A somewhat longer handle is mandatory on the XL, to accomodate the blade, and that more amount of handle is shaped like a hook.

Concerning the Millie on the other hand, the hook would NOT be necessary (or at least not have to be that big), cause the blade does not fully fill the handle anyway when closed...
If I had smaller hands or different shaped the XL would be awesome. The XL is nit terrible, but the regular or the Mille are better fir may particular hands,

Keep in mind the Millie and Manix have the same sized gripping area.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:12 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:00 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:

If I had smaller hands or different shaped the XL would be awesome. The XL is nit terrible, but the regular or the Mille are better fir may particular hands,

Keep in mind the Millie and Manix have the same sized gripping area.
Same size perhaps but very different shape and fit in hand. One of the things that really makes the XL shine is the larger blade which for me brings out the full potential of the Manix blade shape.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

If there is anything you can learn from this thread, it is that people have very different and very strong opinions.

Smooth G10 -- People make a lot of noise about it (those who don't like it), but honestly it is great. I've been carrying and using my Cruwear Manix 2 all week and can't say anything bad about it. I got over the smooth G10 with the PM2 and now think it is great, especially with the Manix 2 ergonomics. You won't see me doing any scale swaps.

The XL -- well Vivi wants to call this "normal", whereas I call it a "monster". For certain tasks the XL might be just the thing. Mine has become my "car knife" because it just seems so ridiculously big. If I want a big blade I will carry a military or Police 4. The XL goes in my pack or the hopper in my truck, not my pocket. I use XL gloves because my fingers are long -- but they are thin. So either grip is fine and the pinky horn doesn't bother me at all, though I don't really need it, I can see how it might add security if you are doing some kind of hard cutting and pulling on the knife, something I never do and don't even anticipate ever doing (i.e I'll find myself doing it next week).

I have a vast number of Manix 2 (and only one XL, and I think of sending it down the line). For me either the Manix 2 or PM2 are the perfect knife. I go for the Manix 2 on odd numbered days and the PM2 on even numbered days. Seriously, I seem to have a Manix 2 in my pocket almost all the time latesly, what a knife!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the manix is the most ergonomic knife i’ve ever held. i almost wish spyderco would put a replaceable utility blade mount in a manix 2 lw handle. i’d buy one for sure.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C