Fish: What's Everyone's Favorite? Salt or Fresh Water?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
standy99

Re: Fish: What's Everyone's Favorite? Salt or Fresh Water?

Post by standy99 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:13 am
standy99 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:18 am
Someone say Barramundi
Yeah I said "BARRAMUNDI" :) and I just had another dinner of it last night. I'm really starting to like that fish. It's really good baked in either high grade Olive Oil or Sunflower Oil. I bet it would be a really "fighter" of a fish just by looking at it.

I just found a local grocery store that sells it frozen. And some fish aren't too bad frozen. I can't eat the same thing more than twice in two days. But I could eat that Barramundi at least 3 times a week. Yeah I really like it ;)
Try a piece of Barramundi fillet seasoned and cooked in a Sandwich press.( you need the flat cafe style ones ) Then throw it on a bread roll with a bit of lettuce and some mayonnaise. ( I use a lemon myrtle Mayo )

Barra burgers
4BECCB17-A5BF-4B58-B39E-459DF4A1C662.jpeg
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Phil Wilson wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:34 pm
Right now salmon are plentiful in the ocean of the north california coast. I just had some fresh last night and it is the best this time of the year when they are feeding on anchovies. The meat bright red/orange and the oil just runs out of them on the BBQ. Tomorrow I will cold smoke some and also make a batch of grav/lox which is salt cured salmon with fresh dill and black pepper. Very good on a bagel with cream cheese a slice of maui onion and some fresh sliced tomatoes. We have halibut in the San Francisco bay and the near shore ocean waters. Those near here are not the huge halibut in the deep water and farther north in Oregon and up to Alaska but are more like a larger flounder. The meat is very mild and is very nice for fish and chips. It is a pleasure to use an nice sharp flexible fillet knife to peel out the fillets Phil
Holy Cow!! Wild Salmon and Halibut are two of my very favorites. Some friends of mine up in Washingston State a long time ago came down this way and turned me onto some smoked wild salmon that was smoked with apple wood and it was really addictive>> I ate myself sick on it almost. I only get to eat Halibut about once a year. A local food market gets it fresh in the early part of the fall>> last year it was a lofty $18 a pound. I got a pound and half of it and smoked it on some of those Jack Daniels wood chips. But those two fish are even great baked in the oven with some high grade Olive Oil. I've heard those Halibut are even dangerous to get in the boat and there are accounts of Halibut cutting people so bad they bleed to death. I heard that on the River Monsters TV show on Animal Planet. I've heard that Halibut are one of the strongest, meanest fish there are. DARN!!! I wish I was eating with you :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

standy99 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:58 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:13 am
standy99 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:18 am
Someone say Barramundi
Yeah I said "BARRAMUNDI" :) and I just had another dinner of it last night. I'm really starting to like that fish. It's really good baked in either high grade Olive Oil or Sunflower Oil. I bet it would be a really "fighter" of a fish just by looking at it.

I just found a local grocery store that sells it frozen. And some fish aren't too bad frozen. I can't eat the same thing more than twice in two days. But I could eat that Barramundi at least 3 times a week. Yeah I really like it ;)
Try a piece of Barramundi fillet seasoned and cooked in a Sandwich press.( you need the flat cafe style ones ) Then throw it on a bread roll with a bit of lettuce and some mayonnaise. ( I use a lemon myrtle Mayo )

Barra burgers
That Barramundi has a really nice textured meat and it's sort of flaky when baked in the oven. I'm going to try to smoke some here before too long. I have Hickory, Pecan and those Jack Daniel's wood chips and I think I'm going to try the Pecan wood first. Pecan wood does an excellent job on salmon.
I had never eaten Barramundi until this year. It's one of the best fish I've eaten in while.
Last night I was at a wholesale house with a friend and they had some fresh Red Snapper fillets for $15 a pound but I was short on cash. Red Snapper is one of my favorite salt water fish. It's unbelievable how high priced fish has gotten in the past two years. But I had a nutritionalist tell me that its one of the best proteins you can eat. Well I sure know most of it tastes really good.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Josh
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

murphjd25 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:05 pm
Awesome.

That's some good eating right there! One of my all time favorite foods.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

i also get my omega 3 from canned; sardines, kippers.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

murphjd25 wrote:
Looks like a great catch Josh! :cool:

What type of crabs are they? :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

z4vdBt wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:45 am
i also get my omega 3 from canned; sardines, kippers.
Interesting! I thought I might have been a really odd guy because I've liked canned fish for years. And all the ones you mentioned I've taken on hikes and weekend outings. I love Demmings Red Sockeye Salmon in a can. I also love King Oscar's Kippered Herring. Oh sure I like fresh fish a lot better but some of the canned fish isn't bad at all and it's a great food source to consider stocking up on in case of power outages and natural disasters.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:20 am
murphjd25 wrote:
Looks like a great catch Josh! :cool:

What type of crabs are they? :)
Dungeoness. At least we got our limit on crab because the fish sure weren’t biting yesterday!
Josh
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I always hear about those crabs or see them on menus. I've always loved King Crab legs or even some Snow Crab legs...how do you go about eating a whole crab, is all the inside edible?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:30 am
I always hear about those crabs or see them on menus. I've always loved King Crab legs or even some Snow Crab legs...how do you go about eating a whole crab, is all the inside edible?
There's a device that looks something like a nut cracker that my friend down in Ft. Walton Beach FL gave me and it works really good on all types of shellfish. You can pretty much tell what is edible on a crab and what needs to be discarded. The meat that is edible is really white laced with a slight tint of reddish color throughout. However I've been told that the reddish tint/color is the spices you boil it most of the time. Those Alaskan King crabs like the ones they used to show those guys on the Discovery channel catching I find really tasty. We've got a Japanese Steak House here in KC that serves them and they are great with steak.
You can probably get one of those shell fish cracker devices at some kitchen/culinary store like "Williams Sonoma", or Function Junction or Bed, Bath & Beyond.
Or sometimes where you buy your fish at they sell them too.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’ve found the easiest way is to basically rip the shell off their back, clean all the guts and stuff out, then you basically snap it in half. All the good meat is in their legs and the two halves that extend out about two or three inches from the legs, the White part of the hard shell that’s underneath their body. Here is what it looks like after you rip the shell off, clean it, and break it in half. ALL the meat that is in their is what’s good to eat.
Josh
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

murphjd25 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:36 pm
I’ve found the easiest way is to basically rip the shell off their back, clean all the guts and stuff out, then you basically snap it in half. All the good meat is in their legs and the two halves that extend out about two or three inches from the legs, the White part of the hard shell that’s underneath their body. Here is what it looks like after you rip the shell off, clean it, and break it in half. ALL the meat that is in their is what’s good to eat.
The device I recommended to the Brother is what I use to crack open the legs of the crab or lobster with. What do you use for breaking open the crab legs to get at the meat? I don't eat nearly as many shellfish as I did a few years back. With all these oil and chemical spills in the past two decades I'm really hesitant to eat any type of bottom feeder anymore. But I do sort of trust the stuff from Alaska.
Also it would be interesting to know what all you guys boil your crabs and lobsters in?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

My family used to boil lobsters in a pot of salt water. My wife doesn't like whole lobsters, finds them to be too much work. Usually on a special occasion I'll buy a 4 pack of 12oz tails from our local Wegmans and after thawing them, I throw them right on the grill...they turn out AMAZING! 2 tails and a steak each, right at home on the grill...MUCH cheaper than if you were to order the same thing at a restaurant!

-Rick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:27 am
My family used to boil lobsters in a pot of salt water. My wife doesn't like whole lobsters, finds them to be too much work. Usually on a special occasion I'll buy a 4 pack of 12oz tails from our local Wegmans and after thawing them, I throw them right on the grill...they turn out AMAZING! 2 tails and a steak each, right at home on the grill...MUCH cheaper than if you were to order the same thing at a restaurant!
I like lobster but the price has just gotten completely ridiculous. It's only when they run big sales on it that I even consider buying one. I would not order one in a restaurant any longer because you could get two nutritious meals for what one meal of lobster would cost you.
Really high quality shrimp like one of our local markets sells are just as good to me for a fraction of the price.

I think shellfish and clams are particularly good in chowders and gumbo. Some foods I feel are grossly overrated and I think lobster is one of them for sure. I'm starting to like Louisiana crawfish that a good friend of mine brings here occasionally. That crawfish sure makes great gumbo soups.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm with ya there Joe! We actually love clams so much (littlenecks) That we have a designed "clam grill" That way they doesn't rust out my good grill! We don't normally make gumbo, though that would be amazing. We're obviously grillers :)

Crawfish are great as well! They actually have a Crawfish Festival here in downtown Syracuse every summer. We have a great time, with all sorts of Cajun style foods. This year I couldn't resist trying some fried alligator bites, which of course...tasted like chicken haha. Not typical to our area, so we make sure to never miss out on that weekend.

-Rick
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I just use a pair of cheap old shellfish crackers I got at a grocery store a long time ago. Can’t forget about a mini wood mallet either!
Josh
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Since were on the subject of fish. There is something I want to let you all know.

I have heard that farm raised tilapia out of China is a very unsafe product to eat!

Please do your own research but, don’t say I didn’t warn you. Very bad stuff.

As far as good fish to eat I really enjoy mahi-mahi. I also really enjoy shark but my understanding is shark numbers are decreasing because of over hunting but if you get some good shark try grilling it on the barbecue with some good Italian dressing. The trick to picking out good shark is the more pale / white the better, stay away from it if it’s blood red.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:48 pm
Since were on the subject of fish. There is something I want to let you all know.

I have heard that farm raised tilapia out of China is a very unsafe product to eat!

As far as good fish to eat I really enjoy mahi-mahi. I also really enjoy shark but my understanding is shark numbers are decreasing because of over hunting but if you get some good shark try grilling it on the barbecue
Your information on imported "Tilapia" is 100% accurate :( . Believe it or not about 8 years ago the Discovery Channel of all sources did a documentary on how the Chinese and other Asians that farm raise Tilapia actually feed their fish human manure :( And that wasn't the only thing they did to make those fish unsafe to eat. Sorry to gross any of you out but it's true I've checked with a good friend of mine who just retired from the Pentagon for Army Intelligence and he traveled all over the globe and he is well aware of the horrible things that are done in food production. He told me that Tilapia is one fish that him and his comrades avoid like poison when they visit overseas. For some reason the proteins in human waste put pounds on Tilapia quickly. That way they kill two birds with one sick stone :mad: . The word has gotten out to many consumers here in my area. Just recently a major grocery chain put out a huge freezer full to the brim with freshly imported Tilapia at a virtual give-away price and two weeks later they haven't even sold a fourth of it. And the fish looks fresh and pretty>> but for that low price I know it's some of the bad stuff for sure.

Don't waste your time trying to retrieve that Discovery Channel special from about 2011 about this atrocity because it's just flat out disappeared. As many of you have I have also eaten a few Tilapia over the years from about 1995 till when I saw the documentary. I'm sure the big money corporate criminals got to the Discovery Channel and got that show eliminated from their archives because I've tried feverishly to pull it up or even find it on any of the popular video sites.

On a better note I do like the Shark meat that you have mentioned. The ones I really like are Mako, Blue and reef shark. I've eaten other varieties over the years but that Mako is the very best I've eaten ever. I would love to go fishing for a young Mako to eat because it had a texture and a flavor I could get addicted to. Also Blue Shark meat was quite delightful too. Some of the other shark meats I've eaten tend to have a lot of a "rubber-like" texture and were literally hard to chew in some cases.

But Bottom LINE::: I don't recommend anyone to eat Tilapia or even many other Farm Raised fish either for that matter unless you are totally aware of what they've been fed and what kind of environment they come from. The Farm Raised Catfish here in the USA has had some horror stories associated with it too. I try to buy "Wild Caught" fish ( especially Salmon) every chance I get and I try not to eat any food that comes from China or any other 3rd World cesspool. Those people in those types of countries have no integrity at all IMO.
Tims

Post by Tims »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:35 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:48 pm

As far as good fish to eat I really enjoy mahi-mahi. I also really enjoy shark but my understanding is shark numbers are decreasing because of over hunting but if you get some good shark try grilling it on the barbecue
Your information on imported "Tilapia" is 100% accurate :( . Believe it or not about 8 years ago the Discovery Channel of all sources did a documentary on how the Chinese and other Asians that farm raise Tilapia actually feed their fish human manure :( And that wasn't the only thing they did to make those fish unsafe to eat. Sorry to gross any of you out but it's true I've checked with a good friend of mine who just retired from the Pentagon for Army Intelligence and he traveled all over the globe and he is well aware of the horrible things that are done in food production. He told me that Tilapia is one fish that him and his comrades avoid like poison when they visit overseas. For some reason the proteins in human waste put pounds on Tilapia quickly. That way they kill two birds with one sick stone :mad: . The word has gotten out to many consumers here in my area. Just recently a major grocery chain put out a huge freezer full to the brim with freshly imported Tilapia at a virtual give-away price and two weeks later they haven't even sold a fourth of it. And the fish looks fresh and pretty>> but for that low price I know it's some of the bad stuff for sure.

Don't waste your time trying to retrieve that Discovery Channel special from about 2011 about this atrocity because it's just flat out disappeared. As many of you have I have also eaten a few Tilapia over the years from about 1995 till when I saw the documentary. I'm sure the big money corporate criminals got to the Discovery Channel and got that show eliminated from their archives because I've tried feverishly to pull it up or even find it on any of the popular video sites.

On a better note I do like the Shark meat that you have mentioned. The ones I really like are Mako, Blue and reef shark. I've eaten other varieties over the years but that Mako is the very best I've eaten ever. I would love to go fishing for a young Mako to eat because it had a texture and a flavor I could get addicted to. Also Blue Shark meat was quite delightful too. Some of the other shark meats I've eaten tend to have a lot of a "rubber-like" texture and were literally hard to chew in some cases.

But Bottom LINE::: I don't recommend anyone to eat Tilapia or even many other Farm Raised fish either for that matter unless you are totally aware of what they've been fed and what kind of environment they come from. The Farm Raised Catfish here in the USA has had some horror stories associated with it too. I try to buy "Wild Caught" fish ( especially Salmon) every chance I get and I try not to eat any food that comes from China or any other 3rd World cesspool. Those people in those types of countries have no integrity at all IMO.
Wow, that’s alarming.

If I’m reading that right, use of human waste in the feed was intentional poisoning of fish headed for western markets. A government sanctioned biological attack?

You might want to look at where that Barramundi you’ve been eating is coming from Joe. Highly unlikely it’s wild caught, far more likely to be farm raised in Asia.