KnifeCenter CPM-CRUWEAR Native 5 with smooth black G10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

Re: KnifeCenter CPM-CRUWEAR Native 5 with smooth black G10

Post by awa54 »

Curse you Spyderco!!

(in other words, I'm super psyched for this knife and will have to order one right away!)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Filoso-

Re: KnifeCenter CPM-CRUWEAR Native 5 with smooth black G1

Post by Filoso- »

Finally!! A Cruwear Native! Not the best handle scales choice, but I didn't even think it, so ordered one...
I have an old linered handle with micarta scales waiting for this blade ;)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Enactive wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:50 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:26 pm
Enactive wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:15 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:14 pm
Just like gravy on a biscuit, I AM ALL OVER THIS ONE! Woo Hoo!!!!!
I just ordered mine... was thinking to send you a message to make sure you get one and then saw this. Total surprise. Awesome impulse purchase.

Friday stoke! Cheers.
Thanks for looking out for me.

Man, it has been a speedy month or two. :eek: I guess it is time to thin the herd a little. :(
Yeah, man. Sure thing. I know how much you love that Cru Wear.

This will be my first CW knife. What's your preferred sharpening and honing protocol for it?

I'm glad I didn't go for the CW delica, tho I considered it. I'm still waiting for that Crucarta Shaman, patient like, with $ allocated. :cool: :D

The Chief is awesome. Have you gotten one yet? If we ever get Salts and sprints/ exclusives I'll be pleased.
You should enjoy Cruwear and you can pretty much sharpen it any way you wish. It responds well to pretty much everything. I usually finish it on the Sharpnaker brown rods myself.

Nope, no Chief yet. Too many other knives dropping so far. Getting ready to throw some of the less loved Spydies up on the auction site though. Should have more money in the knife fund soon.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I was just about to say something similar...Since getting the Manix version of this knife, I've used it quite a bit at work. I'm impressed with how long it stays razor sharp compared to other steels I've used here in the warehouse. I intentionally cut through a bunch of cardboard the other day to dull it a bit quicker. Like Darby said, I finished on just the brown rods and it was shaving sharp. Before that sharpening/touch up, after the last time I touched it up I took it from the browns to the ultra fines and then used my KnivesPlus strop. It was a bit sharper than off just the browns, but I spent more time obviously. I don't think it was really necessary though.

It really is a steel that wants to get sharp and doesn't fight you!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’ve never held the Native. This would be the one to get since I didn’t jump on the bhq M4 exclusive.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:19 pm
Dear KnifeCenter,

I will forgive you for tainting all of these beautiful Cruwear knives by using smooth G10 IF, and only if, you comission the Manix LW, Native LW, and Para 3 LW in DLC coated Cruwear with White FRN. :D

Warm regards,
steelcity16
+1 -FRN
Has their been a poll on smooth scales I have purchased two this way swapped out my PM 2 for regular and the Manix is sitting in the box until I get around to getting rid of those awful smooth scales.

I get it that some like smooth scales accept it, respect it but don’t Comprehend it.

Please someone else pick up the Cruwear with regular peel and ply and FRN. The last thing I want is a slick knife.

Passing on this one because I own an M4 DLC Native and two salt versions SE AND PE. All of these have great handles with positive traction.

Had this been with regular G-10 instant purchase. Dear Knife center smooth does not make you stand out just makes people think overpriced tiny knife with great steel that will slip out of the hand and hit the tile floor.

No thank you very much.
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

The only time G10 should be smooth is when it’s contoured! Imagine how sweet this could’ve been?

I’ll probably still order one though...if they’re around in a couple of days.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm actually kind of glad all these Cruwear exclusives are coming out. If they were 4v, I'd be so much poorer right now.

I'm a lot more tempted by this one than the Delica, but CruWear is far enough down my list for a folder that I'll pass on this native too. I wonder if I can use the funds to pay someone to sit on line and snag me the 4v Lil native...
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:15 am
Enactive wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:50 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:26 pm
Enactive wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:15 pm

I just ordered mine... was thinking to send you a message to make sure you get one and then saw this. Total surprise. Awesome impulse purchase.

Friday stoke! Cheers.
Thanks for looking out for me.

Man, it has been a speedy month or two. :eek: I guess it is time to thin the herd a little. :(
Yeah, man. Sure thing. I know how much you love that Cru Wear.

This will be my first CW knife. What's your preferred sharpening and honing protocol for it?

I'm glad I didn't go for the CW delica, tho I considered it. I'm still waiting for that Crucarta Shaman, patient like, with $ allocated. :cool: :D

The Chief is awesome. Have you gotten one yet? If we ever get Salts and sprints/ exclusives I'll be pleased.
You should enjoy Cruwear and you can pretty much sharpen it any way you wish. It responds well to pretty much everything. I usually finish it on the Sharpnaker brown rods myself.

Nope, no Chief yet. Too many other knives dropping so far. Getting ready to throw some of the less loved Spydies up on the auction site though. Should have more money in the knife fund soon.
Thanks, Darby (and Rick) for the sharpening tips. I understand Cruwear to be easy to sharpen and glad to hear your methods. For knives that are not specifically for woodworking (which like a polished finish) I've moved to coarser finishes and am challenging myself to achieve higher level sharpness from coarser stones. Practice, practice.
bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

I picked up two.

ETA is Monday.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

hovan2yourknives wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:51 am

The only time G10 should be smooth is when it’s contoured! Imagine how sweet this could’ve been?

I don't even want it smooth when its contoured. I wish the Shaman had the coarse Peel Ply Texture on the flats. Hopefully the Micarta Cruwear has a nice grippy roughed up matte Micarta.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have never felt the need for more texture on a knife. All peel ply does for me is increase the grip a pocket clip has on the fabric of my pants. I do appreciate that as I have had smooth knives work there way out of my pocket before. Looking at you, Ti framelocks! :p

I will be polishing this Native up a little bit to bring out that smooth G10’s inner beauty. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

This to me would be an excellent woodcarving knife.

I don't mind smooth G10. But it depends on the purpose of the knife for the user. A hard work knife begs for a textured handle. The only exception to me is something like the recent manix 2 cruwear/smooth G10 run, since the manix has deep finger grooves which should suffice for a confident purchase/grip when making harder cuts.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm interested to see how the Japan made Cruwear knives compare to the Golden models. The Golden ones have very consistent heat treats and I've yet to see one fall out of the rc 61-63 ( target rc 62) where we have found a really great ( near perfect for my uses and likes) performance and sharpening balance.

When I see a Golden made Cruwear knife I know how it will perform and I know I will really like it. I'm looking forward to getting my long awaited backlock style Cruwear Spyderco. This is really right in my comfort zone.

Joe
jdw

Post by jdw »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:21 am

I don't mind smooth G10. But it depends on the purpose of the knife for the user. A hard work knife begs for a textured handle. The only exception to me is something like the recent manix 2 cruwear/smooth G10 run, since the manix has deep finger grooves which should suffice for a confident purchase/grip when making harder cuts.
I am not a fan of smooth G10 either but I bought this one. I agree with you on the purchase of the handle but I don't really use the Native without fully choking up on the choil. It offers me a firm hold similar to the jimping on the Manix, with obvious differences, but it definitely helps compensate for the slick G10.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Gonna have to get in on this!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

jdw wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:39 am
Pelagic wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:21 am

I am not a fan of smooth G10 either but I bought this one. I agree with you on the purchase of the handle but I don't really use the Native without fully choking up on the choil. It offers me a firm hold similar to the jimping on the Manix, with obvious differences, but it definitely helps compensate for the slick G10.
That's a good point. Most people certainly use the choil. The absence of liners is the only thing that stopped me on this one. I'm already not very big on small blades, so I'm more particular about the ones I consider.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
MMGRenovations

Post by MMGRenovations »

I actually enjoy smooth scales more then peel-ply. For me, the shape of the handle determines how the knife feels. Where I find it makes a bigger difference is, as mentioned before, the pocket clip retention. I prefer smooth, they are easier on the pockets. I use my knife quite a bit when I work. For example if I’m doing a crown moulding job my pencil needs to be really sharp so I can make precise marks for my cut. I probably sharpen my pencil 15-20 times a day. That’s a lot of wear on the pockets. Another reason I don’t like peel-ply as much is that they get dirtier. They seem to trap dirt and particles where smooth scales don’t.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

On days off, I certainly prefer smooth G10 in regard to pocket clips. But at work I really like the knife being anchored in the pocket. I don't like losing expensive knives overboard.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I prefer smooth for IWB carry. This Native checks all my boxes.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi