What Are You Driving / Have Driven?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
BLUETYPEII

Re: What Are You Driving / Have Driven?

Post by BLUETYPEII »

bearrowland wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:41 pm
There's nothing in the world like piloting a Type 2!! Great post!
Thanks again!

Yeah there is truly nothing quite like driving a type II transporter / Bus

I’ll tell you a story about an incident I had in the VW one time.

I was traveling down a highway here in Arizona. I was going approximately 60 miles an hour in The left lane of a two lane divided highway when the wind started pushing me to the right. If you’ve ever driven a VW bus you know it’s like driving a sailboat! The wind was pushing so hard that I had to steer into it to maintain a straight path, within seconds I found myself with the steering wheel turned quite a bit into the wind. Even with my steering wheel turned as much as it was the wind still pushed me all the way to the right shoulder. I had to stop I had no other choice.

Another funny one, I was out driving in the desert with the wife. We were just getting into the bus to go back home. I put the Volkswagen in first gear and let the clutch out to just roll in idol (Off Road in the desert) I drove across a good sized dip. I failed to throttle the motor so it stalled when the back tires seated into the dip. Being young and stupid as I was at the time, I fired it back up, redlined the motor and dropped the clutch just for fun. That VW hooked up like you wouldn’t believe and it caused the bus to basically do a wheelie, it was such a high wheelie that we both only saw sky for about a second, then the front end of the VW came crashing down. Without a word we both got out and made sure we still had front tires with air in them. Not a scratch, dent, ding or any other damage wow that thing was tough.

These are some of the fun things you experience when driving a Volkswagen bus.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I've been in the same situation many times over the years I was a bus pilot. It's the only vehicle I ever had to "crab" to keep from getting blown off the road! I drove my 71 home from Lacey, Washington to State College Pennsylvania in January 2002 and never had to pay for a cup of coffee...one look at me in 3 layers of clothes and still freezing and people had sympathy on me!
I never got the nose of mine in the air though!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

bearrowland wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:13 pm
I've been in the same situation many times over the years I was a bus pilot. It's the only vehicle I ever had to "crab" to keep from getting blown off the road! I drove my 71 home from Lacey, Washington to State College Pennsylvania in January 2002 and never had to pay for a cup of coffee...one look at me in 3 layers of clothes and still freezing and people had sympathy on me!
I never got the nose of mine in the air though!!
Yeah you were talking about the cold... it’s the exact opposite but kinda the same. The Az summer in a VW Bus with no A/C for 15 years was brutal.

🥵
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

They're a wonder...only vehicle I've ever had that actually was cooler or hotter inside depending on the conditions! It's great talking bus again!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

bearrowland wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:09 pm
They're a wonder...only vehicle I've ever had that actually was cooler or hotter inside depending on the conditions! It's great talking bus again!
Check this out... https://youtu.be/A_DUftxay0U I’ve always wanted to do this to a bus or a single/ double cab. If I ever get another I just may.
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Me too! The horsepower...and the heater/ac!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Peter1960 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:50 am
Nissan Pathfinder

The Nissan is best reliable car I ever had, much more than all the Audis I ever owned!
Could not agree more!

I am driving my R50 Nissan Pathfinder, which I have owned since 2005, and have put 175k miles on. This will easily be the best and most reliable car I ever own. It has been nothing but rock solid with only regular maintenance. Great as a daily driver (except for gas mileage...), great in the snow, hauling kids and dogs, and towing my camper (although it does not particularly love this duty since it is at capacity limits).

Essentially stock, but I have added a few features to improve towing: brake controller and air bags in the rear coil springs for improved load control.

Exceptional vehicle.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Update - I did trade the Tucson in for a 2019 KIA Niro Hybrid, thus cutting almost all costs in half
First tank of gas as follows:

That's a 57,37 Mpg average for you non metric people out there :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:06 pm
Update - I did trade the Tucson in for a 2019 KIA Niro Hybrid, thus cutting almost all costs in half
First tank of gas as follows:That's a 57,37 Mpg average for you non metric people out there :)

Congrats, Larrry! Last car I had that got mileage like that was a '94 Geo Metro XFI. :) Back then I was putting 900 miles a week just commuting to work and back.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:40 am
Peter1960 wrote:
Nissan Pathfinder

The Nissan is best reliable car I ever had, much more than all the Audis I ever owned!
Could not agree more!

I am driving my R50 Nissan Pathfinder, ...
Nice to hear that you are satisfied too!
Just for clarification: I'm driving R51 Nissan Pathfinder (~325.000 kilometers now or ~202.000 miles).
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:55 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:06 pm
First tank of gas as follows:That's a 57,37 Mpg average for you non metric people out there :)

Congrats, Larrry! Last car I had that got mileage like that was a '94 Geo Metro XFI. :) Back then I was putting 900 miles a week just commuting to work and back.
Thanks! It's not the most exciting car i have ever driven, but it's kinda fun trying to get it to jump over to "EV-mode" as much as possible :)
Anyway, the savings are reason enough, and i still have the Triumph 1200 Scrambler for fun driving.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:40 am
Peter1960 wrote:
Nissan Pathfinder

Could not agree more!

I am driving my R50 Nissan Pathfinder, which I have owned since 2005, and have put 175k miles on. This will easily be the best and most reliable car I ever own. It has been nothing but rock solid with only regular maintenance. Great as a daily driver (except for gas mileage...), great in the snow, hauling kids and dogs, and towing my camper (although it does not particularly love this duty since it is at capacity limits).

Essentially stock, but I have added a few features to improve towing: brake controller and air bags in the rear coil springs for improved load control.

Exceptional vehicle.
I do prefer Toyota over Nissan but, Nissan / Infiniti really does make a quality product. My wife has a 2007 G35 coupe and she loves it. I owned an old 1993 Nissan pickup ( some call them a Nissan Hardbody ) for just over 5 years and the only thing I ever did was oil changes and a set of new tires. I bought that little truck with 186,000 miles for $2,400 and sold it with 256,000 miles for $1,000. Not bad for 5 years of driving
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Those Hardbodies were the greatest truck ever! I'd love to find one in decent shape!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Well as of today I upgraded my 2012 Kia Soul+ to a 2018 Kia Soul+ 1 Millionth special edition. Got a great deal, and it is basically new - sitting on the dealers lot with 35 miles. All the infotainment stuff is going to make me have to study the owner's manual.
20190802_192236 (Small).jpg
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Nice!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

bearrowland wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:42 pm
Those Hardbodies were the greatest truck ever! I'd love to find one in decent shape!
Yeah I quit enjoyed mine!
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Halfneck wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:23 pm
Well as of today I upgraded my 2012 Kia Soul+ to a 2018 Kia Soul+ 1 Millionth special edition. Got a great deal, and it is basically new - sitting on the dealers lot with 35 miles. All the infotainment stuff is going to make me have to study the owner's manual.

20190802_192236 (Small).jpg
Actually i always at least sift through the manual. Always a few "A-ha" moments :)
Embarrassing as well when friends ridign shotgun suddenly does something you had no idea was there :D
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Something I forgot about was the 76 International Scout Travelall we had. That beast could do it all!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

My first car was a 1987 Honda Accord lxi. Was my mom's, but I remember being a kid when she test drove it, and ever since my dad bought it for her I wanted it. Got it when I was 16, and drove it for many years. But, I was young and didn't take care of it. We finally traded it in on a 99 Nissan altima. Fun car! It ate the headgasket and I got rid of it. Did a lot of work on that car, learned a lot about maintenance and repair.

OH yea, forgot about the 98 dodge Dakota I inherited, hated that truck. Hydroplaned and flipped it. If not for the sunroof I would have been dead.

When the altima ate its headgasket I got a 2005 nissan 350z. Loved that car, was my dream to own one. Daytona blue, manual, had the nismo exhaust on it already, nismo spoiler. Did some upgrades like suspension (better shocks, slight drop), urethane bushings, different wheels, headunit, adjustable camber arms. Fun car, loved it! Sold it not long ago because I didn't drive it much, and have my focus st that I got right before my kid was born!

And the focus... I wanted to get something I could haul a kid in, haul kid stuff, and be a little more practical than a 2 seat sports car. But I wanted something with personality, that was quick, and was fun! The focus is all of this. Love the turbo, 252 hp and 270 lb/ft of torque, big brakes, handling tuned to be sharp and responsive. Fold the seats down and you can haul a ton of stuff! Mash the gas and hold on, because it is super quick! And manual of course, all of my cars have been manual except the truck.

And I have a bike... 08 kawi zx6r. Need to do some maintenance though!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela