Maxamet+G10 on more models?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pickmansmodel82

Maxamet+G10 on more models?

Post by Pickmansmodel82 »

Ended up impulse purchasing a new para 3 in Maxamet. That turned out to be a very good purchase, this steel is simply Amazing!

I see the native and manix are available in this steel too, but I’ve always preferred G10 to FRN when it comes to large knives.

Since they’ve brought this into the forefront with regular production, were/are there any plans for G10 runs? I’d adore a manix 2, but really don’t like the fact the LW is pinned, especially with a steel known to be very non stainless.
Albatross

Re: Maxamet+G10 on more models?

Post by Albatross »

Pickmansmodel82 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:08 pm
Ended up impulse purchasing a new para 3 in Maxamet. That turned out to be a very good purchase, this steel is simply Amazing!

I see the native and manix are available in this steel too, but I’ve always preferred G10 to FRN when it comes to large knives.

Since they’ve brought this into the forefront with regular production, were/are there any plans for G10 runs? I’d adore a manix 2, but really don’t like the fact the LW is pinned, especially with a steel known to be very non stainless.
I too would like a Manix 2 G10 in Maxamet.

I've seen a few other comments, besides yours, about avoiding the FRN/FRCP Maxamet knives, but especially the Manix LW. Rust can be a major concern, depending on the usage and geographic location. If a dlc Maxamet Manix LW came out, would you(or anyone else reading this that may have reservations about an uncoated blade in a pinned handle) be more inclined to try it than the non-coated version? I'm sure there are a fair amount of folks willing to buy one, if Spyderco were to put it(dlc) into regular production.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I would absolutely prefer Maxamet with G10 and DLC.

DLC is a functional attribute. It isn't "tacticool" or for aesthetics (although black does go better with some colors over others). DLC Maxamet = Maxamet with added corrosion resistance.

I think the Chief would be an excellent model for such a combo.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I'm waiting for a Maxamet Military.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
8-fingers

Post by 8-fingers »

You mean like this? Easy to do if you enjoy making FrankenManix’s!

SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

I have to think, that at some point we'll get a Manix 2 G10 Maxamet. It only makes sense. I'd vote for an un-coated blade.
I also have to think, that we should get a Manix 2 Burnt Orange G10 REX 45 as well. Good grief, will that ever be exciting! :D
Either of these, can't happen soon enough. :spyder:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I still dream of the maxamet Military. The one knife to rule them all.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Naperville wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:18 pm
I wonder how much a Maxamet Street Beat would be? That would be an awesome knife too!!!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Pickmansmodel82

Post by Pickmansmodel82 »

I would also prefer an uncoated blade. While very functional I prefer bare steel.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I'd also consider a Maxamet Chief. Seems to be a very good looking blade!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Still patiently awaiting a Maxamet Military. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
5pins

Post by 5pins »

Naperville wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:18 pm
Me too.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

8-fingers wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:44 pm

How'd you do this without breaking the FRN? I wanted to try this but didn't want to make a $155 mistake...Any tips?
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
8-fingers

Post by 8-fingers »

@legOFwhat, the Maxamet G-10 Manix was created out of a marriage of a DLT Manix 20CV and a FRN Manix Maxamet. The gray FRN was simple enough to pull the blade out of but proved too hard to put the 20CV blade back into so I resorted to drilling out the rivets and replaced them with barrel nuts and screws. The Natives were a lot simpler! The G-10 scales came from someone who replaced their scales on the coated 52100 version (Blue Ridge Knives?).

Now I have both a G-10 and FRN in Maxamet and a corresponding G-10 and FRN in 20CV... hopefully this weekend I’ll get around to dyeing the gray FRN a red shade which I did for the same swap in a pair of Native Maxamet frankennatives!
PStone

Post by PStone »

8-fingers wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:44 pm

That lockup in the g10 looks really late. Looks exactly how mine turned out. I was able to get a s110v blade back into the frcp, but it wouldn’t lockup. Then I noticed the late lockup on my g10. So I swapped everything back. I figured it would eventually develop vertical play that couldn’t be fixed since the cbbl was already 100% forward in the cutout. Preventing any allowance for wear.

I think the g10 models either have very slightly different tangs, or (more likely) the different backspacers prevent swapping.

Anyone else ever pull off a g10 into frcp swap? Or vice versa? Ive never had any issue going from g10 to g10
8-fingers

Post by 8-fingers »

@DirtMcGirt, I had noticed this issue as well and while the problem would be down the road as far as wear goes, I am hoping that swapping out with slightly larger ceramic balls might do the trick as far as late locks are concerned. The cage is already oversized for a larger ball and should be easily modified to take an even larger diameter ball... this may not help but I need to experiment!

While I only had the 20CV blade into the FRN handles for a brief moment there appeared to not be a late lock issue. The measurements on the both blades and the wearing surfaces were exactly the same, at least to my measurement capabilities... but we will see!
PStone

Post by PStone »

8-fingers wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:56 am
@DirtMcGirt, I had noticed this issue as well and while the problem would be down the road as far as wear goes, I am hoping that swapping out with slightly larger ceramic balls might do the trick as far as late locks are concerned. The cage is already oversized for a larger ball and should be easily modified to take an even larger diameter ball... this may not help but I need to experiment!

While I only had the 20CV blade into the FRN handles for a brief moment there appeared to not be a late lock issue. The measurements on the both blades and the wearing surfaces were exactly the same, at least to my measurement capabilities... but we will see!

Please please let me know if you get the larger ball and if it works. I thought that too and found a ceramic option on eBay, but never pulled the trigger. I would really really like to revisit this swap.

And also the FRN didn’t have late lockup issue with the new blade, it was the exact opposite. Ball was too big to get between tang and backspacer, so lockup never happened.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

8-fingers wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:13 am
@legOFwhat, the Maxamet G-10 Manix was created out of a marriage of a DLT Manix 20CV and a FRN Manix Maxamet. The gray FRN was simple enough to pull the blade out of but proved too hard to put the 20CV blade back into so I resorted to drilling out the rivets and replaced them with barrel nuts and screws. The Natives were a lot simpler! The G-10 scales came from someone who replaced their scales on the coated 52100 version (Blue Ridge Knives?).

Now I have both a G-10 and FRN in Maxamet and a corresponding G-10 and FRN in 20CV... hopefully this weekend I’ll get around to dyeing the gray FRN a red shade which I did for the same swap in a pair of Native Maxamet frankennatives!
Thank you kind sir that helps a lot.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Natedg200202

Post by Natedg200202 »

The maxamet Manix 2 recently caught my eye. However, I’m having a tough time with the lightweight series that this model belongs to. Namely, the pinned construction. A potentially rust prone blade paired with a construction you can’t disassemble seems like a bad idea.

If it was available in g10 (and traditional construction with screws) I’d be all over that. The issue isn’t really with the G10 vs FRN (although I definitely prefer the g10); it’s that I want the capability to disassemble.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Natedg200202 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:33 pm
The maxamet Manix 2 recently caught my eye. However, I’m having a tough time with the lightweight series that this model belongs to. Namely, the pinned construction. A potentially rust prone blade paired with a construction you can’t disassemble seems like a bad idea.

If it was available in g10 (and traditional construction with screws) I’d be all over that. The issue isn’t really with the G10 vs FRN (although I definitely prefer the g10); it’s that I want the capability to disassemble.
I feel the exact same way.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?