COFFEE: Who Drinks The REAL Stuff? Gourmet Beans too?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
cabfrank

Re: COFFEE: Who Drinks The REAL Stuff? Gourmet Beans too?

Post by cabfrank »

I absolutely LOVE coffee, and drink it every day, usually three mugs. I've been down the coffee geek road, and still could do it. I definitely appreciate it, but these days I usually just go a little cheaper and easier, with a decent ground coffee, auto drip. Part of the reason I don't geek out as much is I no longer drink it black. I add a little whole milk, not cream, and never sugar. It makes it easier on my stomach that way.
To those that quit smoking for vaping, and make their own oil, any advice on a kit to get started? I know it has to be at least better for you than smoking, and these days, certainly cheaper. How hard is it to make your own oil?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

silvershade255 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:58 pm
Kind of curious, what methods of brewing does everyone prefer? I use a little glass pour over one mostly but I really want to try a siphon. Mostly because it looks neat.
Interesting you bring up "Brewing Methods". Because at my local Target store I see that "Melita" who I believe makes the best coffee filters available now has a manual brewing device. It's simply a polycarbonate fixture that holds a #4 filter and you just pour hot water over the grounds and you have a coffee cup underneath it and thus you have a cup of coffee. I like the concept of brewing one cup at a time because you sure eliminate a lot of waste. I think I'm going to get one>> they are only about $18 or so. Not to mention you don't have the demanding maintenance of a drip coffee maker.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I was behind a guy buying a coffee at the bar on a French operated ferry last summer.

The bar-tender gave him his coffee, creamer and sugar, but he gave back the sugar whilst saying something like “I’m trying to stop taking sugar in my coffee”.

The bar-tender tersely replied (you’ll have to do the accent yourself) “That’s very good, but all you need to do now is stop having cream and you will be drinking real coffee!”

Made me laugh, anyway!

Definitely black for me - too much sour or tinned milk on building sites to risk otherwise, earlier in my career, and so I learned to love it without.

Now it’s freshly ground black filter in my work thermos mug everyday, otherwise espresso, but I very occasionally enjoy a cappuccino on a weekend breakfast, Italian style.

Freshly ground, freshly roasted beans are the very best, but even older beans beat instant, pods, or even pre-ground for me.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

The wife uses a pour over system that uses no paper filter, so no waste. I find it takes too long however and it’s not hot enough for my likes. I use these spoon things I got for $3 at Princess Auto. Coffee is still plenty hot but it lets some of the really fine grinds through so I lose the last sip as it’s a little gritty.
1B02DE86-7E94-4768-887D-D8AB9287D208.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

spyderg wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:05 am
The wife uses a pour over system that uses no paper filter, so no waste. I find it takes too long however and it’s not hot enough for my likes. I use these spoon things I got for $3 at Princess Auto. Coffee is still plenty hot but it lets some of the really fine grinds through so I lose the last sip as it’s a little gritty.
That funnel looks similar to that device that Melitta sells. Who makes that one you have shown in your picture? I'm seriously thinking of going that way when I just want a cup or two for morning/breakfast time. Because over the years I've found myself wasting a lot of coffee>> and with good coffee beans getting as expensive as they are I'm going to try to be more frugal. I have used just a regular funnel device off of a Mr. Coffee machine but it was really slow comparatively.
I think this Friday when I get paid I'm going to buy one of those Melitta devices because their bamboo filters especially are thee best IMO. I wish I could find a store locally that sells their drip coffee makers because I've heard that they are a really nice unit. The older BUNN units with the stainless steel and copper internal parts were really nice but I haven't seen one of their small units around in quite some time.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:13 pm
I've found myself wasting a lot of coffee
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

31re+paPw8L._SX425_.jpg
I have a little red Bialetti Moka pot that works great for me.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:13 pm
spyderg wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:05 am
That funnel looks similar to that device that Melitta sells. Who makes that one you have shown in your picture? I'm seriously thinking of going that way when I just want a cup or two for morning/breakfast time. Because over the years I've found myself wasting a lot of coffee>> and with good coffee beans getting as expensive as they are I'm going to try to be more frugal. I have used just a regular funnel device off of a Mr. Coffee machine but it was really slow comparatively.
I think this Friday when I get paid I'm going to buy one of those Melitta devices because their bamboo filters especially are thee best IMO. I wish I could find a store locally that sells their drip coffee makers because I've heard that they are a really nice unit. The older BUNN units with the stainless steel and copper internal parts were really nice but I haven't seen one of their small units around in quite some time.

The brand is Buphallo according to the wife.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

I've used a couple of nicer drip machines in the last ten years; one Bonavita and one Cuisinart. Drip is my favorite method, since it's simple and the results are consistent enough you can tweak your grind and ratios to make the coffee the way you want it.

The only drawback to a drip machine for me is that my wife is pregnant again, and she can't stand the taste of coffee when she's pregnant. (Which is ironic, since she's the one who got me drinking it every day.)

I recently started using an AeroPress at the recommendation of a coworker. It's smaller and I don't need to make an entire pot to get good results.
https://amzn.to/2OpRGfq

It's like a french press and a manual espresso machine rolled into one — manual control, filtered grounds extracting under mild pressure. With fine grounds you get a pretty strong 100 ml or so of concentrated coffee, to which you can add as much water (of whatever temperature you prefer) to make a full cup. That's probably the reason I like it most; I can brew at a low temperature (~80 degrees C) and warm the coffee back up right before I drink it when I dilute it.
The filters last a loooong time, and that was my only reservation. the manual control is more work than a drip machine, but it's a neat little system. Perfect for camping, which is the main reason we bought it.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:17 am
I just recently used some CBD oil for the first time on a wound I had which I got to heal quickly with CBD oil and New Zealand produced Manuka Honey ( $28 for 12 ounces :eek: )
The thing that really makes me giggle about the modern world is that we're saying basically the same things about CBD that used to be said about nicotine. The promoters of the new products all jump up and down telling you how amazing it is for stress and anxiety and pain, then turn around and say "it's not psychoactive, so you can't get addicted to it or intoxicated from it."
Sorry folks, you can't have it both ways.

I don't say that to rag on CBD users, but rather to point out that we should be a little bit more moderated in our responses than the people on TV and Facebook. Nicotine is literally poisonous, but it's also a very effective "medicinal" product. You've just got to know what the right use is for it, and to be able to recognize when you've lost control. (The same goes for soft drinks, chocolate, and booze.)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:54 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:17 am
I just recently used some CBD oil for the first time on a wound I had which I got to heal quickly with CBD oil and New Zealand produced Manuka Honey ( $28 for 12 ounces :eek: )
The thing that really makes me giggle about the modern world is that we're saying basically the same things about CBD that used to be said about nicotine. The promoters of the new products all jump up and down telling you how amazing it is for stress and anxiety and pain, then turn around and say "it's not psychoactive, so you can't get addicted to it or intoxicated from it."
Sorry folks, you can't have it both ways.

I don't say that to rag on CBD users, but rather to point out that we should be a little bit more moderated in our responses than the people on TV and Facebook. Nicotine is literally poisonous, but it's also a very effective "medicinal" product. You've just got to know what the right use is for it, and to be able to recognize when you've lost control. (The same goes for soft drinks, chocolate, and booze.)
Greetings JK>> hey I wasn't in any way trying to take a political stance on CBD oil or marijuana in general. I don't even smoke tobacco cigarettes for that matter and I quit drinking alcohol a long, long time ago. My reasoning is this>> I've always been kind of a health food and herbal enthusiast and have been since my distance running days of the 70s, 80s and early 90s. I've had great results with a wide array of herbal products. Check out Oil of Oregano for instance. I've been down this "natural cure" road for a long time.
If they made marijuana legal in our state I would still not use it to get high on. I don't believe in smoking of any type. I've had family members who got addicted to tobacco and saw 3 of them die horrible lung cancer deaths. Not for me!!! No way!!
But there are proven medical uses of CBD oil and if CBD oil will do some healing I'm completely open to it. It's legal here in Missouri. Also in that same response you see that I used "Manuka Honey" for the wound treatment as well. Honey of all types has had great health benefits and great antibacterial properties. Many wound care clinics are now using patches made with Manuka Honey.
I hope that clears up any misunderstanding. And I will sure try stuff made by GOD almighty before I cave in and use pharmaceutical products with really questionable side effects. That's where I'm coming from.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:13 am
Greetings JK>> hey I wasn't in any way trying to take a political stance on CBD oil or marijuana in general. I don't even smoke tobacco cigarettes for that matter and I quit drinking alcohol a long, long time ago. My reasoning is this>> I've always been kind of a health food and herbal enthusiast and have been since my distance running days of the 70s, 80s and early 90s. I've had great results with a wide array of herbal products. Check out Oil of Oregano for instance. I've been down this "natural cure" road for a long time.
If they made marijuana legal in our state I would still not use it to get high on. I don't believe in smoking of any type. I've had family members who got addicted to tobacco and saw 3 of them die horrible lung cancer deaths. Not for me!!! No way!!
But there are proven medical uses of CBD oil and if CBD oil will do some healing I'm completely open to it. It's legal here in Missouri. Also in that same response you see that I used "Manuka Honey" for the wound treatment as well. Honey of all types has had great health benefits and great antibacterial properties. Many wound care clinics are now using patches made with Manuka Honey.
I hope that clears up any misunderstanding. And I will sure try stuff made by GOD almighty before I cave in and use pharmaceutical products with really questionable side effects. That's where I'm coming from.
Sorry if it sounded like I was critiquing your use of CBD, you just got me thinking about it is all. Glad you've found the stuff that helps.

I don't really worry about what people use, so long as they're not hurting themselves through addiction or neglect.
(Sadly, that means I'm more worried than if I lumped certain substances into a "bad" pile and others into a "good" pile without asking questions.)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:12 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:13 am
Sorry if it sounded like I was critiquing your use of CBD, you just got me thinking about it is all. Glad you've found the stuff that helps.

I don't really worry about what people use, so long as they're not hurting themselves through addiction or neglect.
(Sadly, that means I'm more worried than if I lumped certain substances into a "bad" pile and others into a "good" pile without asking questions.)
Seriously though it really surprised me greatly how the two of them working together and healed an infection in a wound I had on my ankle. Truthfully I was kind of skeptical about it at first but Neosporin and other over the counter products weren't working at all. But my lady friend was really sold on it and she has given me good advice in the past.
But no I really appreciate any objective and respectful input like you gave me. And listen folks if I'm in the wrong on any issue just prove it to me and I'll admit it and refrain from it immediately.
I'm always somewhat skeptical about any new products I haven't yet used. There is a lot of fraud in the health food and herbal industries and I'll be the first to admit that Iv'e been burned more than once :rolleyes:
I also put some of that Manuka Honey on an open cut on my finger ( yes I cut myself quite often playing with Spyders :o :rolleyes: ) And I was amazed how fast it helped it to heal. I want to learn more about other types of honey. But my jury is still out on the overall uses of CBD oil because I have heard some negaitive stuff as well as good testimonies. And I got a feeling that it's going to be one of those products that will be subjected to fraud and counterfeit. There are already twelve cheap imitations of the "Oil Of Oregano" that I mentioned earlier. Most definitely let the buyer beware :(
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:32 pm
kodai78 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:21 pm
I drink it black. The way God intended. Black.
YES!!! and AMEN!!! It's refreshing to know that I'm not the only one that realizes that GOD had it right to begin with. There are just so many great things here on planet earth that were right to begin with until man and Wall Street adulterated it and in some cases destroyed it.

BLACK Coffee from freshly roasted beans needs no improvement IMO.

Same here, if it's made right you don't need to put anything in it. :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:28 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:32 pm
kodai78 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:21 pm
I drink it black. The way God intended. Black.
YES!!! and AMEN!!! It's refreshing to know that I'm not the only one that realizes that GOD had it right to begin with. There are just so many great things here on planet earth that were right to begin with until man and Wall Street adulterated it and in some cases destroyed it.

BLACK Coffee from freshly roasted beans needs no improvement IMO.

Same here, if it's made right you don't need to put anything in it. :cool:
I learned a long time ago if you just get a really good quality coffee bean and grind them fresh when you make the brew that's all you need. To me to take an excellent coffee and put all kinds of stuff in it just adulterates it IMO. I think the problem is that many people have just never gotten to taste a premium, fresh ground, fresh brewed high quality bean before. I think if most people ever did then the sales of creamer and all this other junk that people use would go down severely.

Another key to it is to keeping your equipment clean. If you use a drip coffee maker as I do then run white vinegar through it at least once a month. Check the take periodically to make sure you don't have any mildew growth in the water reservoir. If you do find mildew/mold then take a solution of 1 part bleach to 3 parts water which will kill the mildew spores. Then thoroughly rinse it with fresh water. It sounds like a hassle but it's really not that much work at all. But clean equipment makes a huge difference. Most manufacturers of drip coffee machines give detailed instructions on periodic cleaning of certain machines. I have a vinegar and cleaning regimen I always do monthly and it doesn't take long at all and it insures a great brew.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Exactly! A good bean, with the right amount of water thru clean equipment turns out a heavenly cup☕
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:34 pm
Exactly! A good bean, with the right amount of water thru clean equipment turns out a heavenly cup☕
You're spot on dude!! That's just true with all kinds of food and drink preparation. That's why I'm getting to where I don't eat out much at all. Not because I can't afford it. But these newer Gen X kids or Millenials either one don't know how squat about proper cleaning of anything :( That's why a lot of restaurant coffee is similar to a commercial drain cleaner or a compound that you clean oil stains off your driveway with :eek:

It's not actually in the Bible but the old cliche "Cleanliness is Next To GodLiness" does have some truth aspects to it. That's especially true with food or beverage prep.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Rancilio Silva and good beans is all that's needed. Coffeeaholic :eek: :eek:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (21.97 KiB) Viewed 737 times
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

😍😍😍
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

standy99 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:19 am
Rancilio Silva and good beans is all that's needed. Coffeeaholic :eek: :eek:

image.jpeg
I appreciate you sharing that with us "standy99" :) There is a lot to be said about high quality culinary equipment. Any hardware used in making any type of beverages ( especially coffee) should be relatively easy to clean and maintain. The German and Swiss made coffee bean grinders are the best of the best IMO. I'm currently using a German made KRUPS unit that I very luckily discovered at a local thrift store. I doubt if it had been used more than 2 to 3 times before I bought it.

Also I want to let you all know that here from my home town of Blue Springs, Missouri USA ( suburb of KC) we now have a new coffee bean roasting company that is making some of the smoothest and best tasting coffee beans I've had in some time. They go by the name of "Coffee Cats". I've yet to find out much detailed information about them yet but I'll keep you all posted. They are selling their gourmet coffee beans at our local grocery and health food stores and the managers have told me that they can't keep their gourmet coffee beans on the shelves.

I find that extremely interesting being that these same stores also sell some of your really big name brands like "Community", Cameron's, Starbucks, Seattle's Best and about 8 to 10 other high quality gourmet coffee beans. I do encourage you all to check out "Coffee Cats" on the internet. In the meantime I'll try to obtain more contact and purchasing information on this new locally made gourmet coffee beans.